PDA

View Full Version : Why with gutsy gibbon do we have tribes?

fredericthewise
July 4th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I never heard of gibbons living in tribes. this seems weird to me. Anyone got any ideas where that came from?

daynah
July 4th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Wikipedia (admittedly not the best source) says on the "monkey" article... "A group of monkeys may be referred to as a mission or a tribe."

Similarly a group of fish is a school of fish, but I've never heard of a school of Betta fish. ;) I'm sure this is less extreme, though, as gibbons are not solitary creatures.

fredericthewise
July 4th, 2007, 11:24 AM
ok cool, i was wrong - i just hadn't heard the term applied to monkeys before...

argie
July 4th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Wikipedia (admittedly not the best source) says on the "monkey" article... "A group of monkeys may be referred to as a mission or a tribe."

Similarly a group of fish is a school of fish, but I've never heard of a school of Betta fish. ;) I'm sure this is less extreme, though, as gibbons are not solitary creatures.

Hey, mission has a nice ring to it. So does tribe, actually. But Ubuntu 7.10 Mission 4, see!

fredericthewise
July 4th, 2007, 12:23 PM
yeah mission does sound cool...

forrestcupp
July 4th, 2007, 02:21 PM
But then you'd have winers complaining that it's religious.

maniacmusician
July 4th, 2007, 04:41 PM
the word mission doesn't really have that strong of a religious connotation. People would probably be reminded more of spy movies and action/thrillers.

FuturePilot
July 4th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I just noticed that the Alpha builds get a name that has to do with the animal it's named after. Fawns are in Herds, Gibbons have Tribes. I learn something new every day. Anyone remember what the others ones were? Just curious.

hellmet
July 4th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I just discovered that too. :D . I'm curious to know about the previous releases too !!

reacocard
July 4th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I just noticed that the Alpha builds get a name that has to do with the animal it's named after. Fawns are in Herds, Gibbons have Tribes. I learn something new every day. Anyone remember what the others ones were? Just curious.

Eft -> Knots, Drake -> Flight

FuturePilot
July 4th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Eft -> Knots, Drake -> Flight

Cool! Thanks:D

kamaboko
July 4th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Maybe they could call it a "flock of seagulls"?

macogw
July 4th, 2007, 10:44 PM

Mission Impossible was a religious movie?

Ralob
July 4th, 2007, 10:50 PM
the word mission doesn't really have that strong of a religious connotation. People would probably be reminded more of spy movies and action/thrillers.

Or a cult :P

RAV TUX
July 4th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I never heard of gibbons living in tribes. this seems weird to me. Anyone got any ideas where that came from?
Welcome to the tribe. ;)