PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista features ubuntu should have

laxmanb
July 4th, 2007, 10:19 AM
~I really like the breadcrumb address bar in Vista - a lot better than how Nautilus navigates directories.

~A better help viewer and documentation like in Vista

~better accessibility support

~And a multimedia app of the same calibre as WMP11 would be cool as well..

Any features from Vista you wish ubuntu had??

x64Jimbo
July 4th, 2007, 10:31 AM
WMP11 is crappy, proprietary BS. Look to Banshee for the music organization stuff in Ubuntu.

Iarwain ben-adar
July 4th, 2007, 10:34 AM
For your music needs; you could use Amarok.

Iarwain

deepclutch
July 4th, 2007, 10:38 AM
or use exaile which is amarok for gtk or better integration with GNOME.even other players worth a try are mesk,listen,quodlibet etc and video player obviously xine or its gtk-frontend called gxine,mplayer and totem-gstreamer or totem-xine.

SunnyRabbiera
July 4th, 2007, 10:50 AM
what do you mean by should?

Hallvor
July 4th, 2007, 11:01 AM
[...]

WMP11? I`d pick just about every native client over that one. Hint: DRM-infested, closed source bloatware.

laxmanb
July 4th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Some of these features are there - but they aren't really up to the mark - I really hate the help viewer, text to speech is bad and speech recognition is missing. And I found the breadcrumb address bar to be a good idea. If you've actually used Vista and there's something you'll like to see in ubuntu, post it here.

There's really no need for Vista bashing. And I really don't care that WMP11 is proprietary as long as it gets the job done. And none of those players are actually included on the ubuntu CD. If I want 3rd party players for Windows, I have iTunes, Winamp, Yahoo Music Engine, Realplayer, etc.

FoolsGold_MKII
July 4th, 2007, 11:06 AM
It would be nice if compositing window managers such as Beryl or Compiz were intelligent enough to disable themselves upon the activation of a full-screen program (i.e. game), and when said ap finishes, re-enable themselves, just like Vista's Aero can do.

Not that it isn't too difficult to disable/re-enable them manually, but doing things automatically would be more efficient.

shavenlunatic
July 4th, 2007, 11:37 AM
It would be nice if compositing window managers such as Beryl or Compiz were intelligent enough to disable themselves upon the activation of a full-screen program (i.e. game), and when said ap finishes, re-enable themselves, just like Vista's Aero can do.

Not that it isn't too difficult to disable/re-enable them manually, but doing things automatically would be more efficient.

This.. times 10... that's my pet hate

tcpip4lyfe
July 4th, 2007, 02:11 PM

That would be awesome.

twistie
July 4th, 2007, 02:14 PM
~A better help viewer and documentation like in Vista

Well actually I've always found windows documentation about as useful as running into a brick wall...

Really? WMP11 has been the buggiest release I have ever used. I can't use it 5 minutes without major slowdowns or a crash. I really hate the way WMP stores music data in a non-standard way as well. Essentially VLC can do everything WMP can do. Although I thing VLC does need some sort of media manager.

Nano Geek
July 4th, 2007, 02:59 PM
or use exaile which is amarok for gtk or better integration with GNOME.even other players worth a try are mesk,listen,quodlibet etc and video player obviously xine or its gtk-frontend called gxine,mplayer and totem-gstreamer or totem-xine.Or, gasp!, use Rhythmbox.
*Flamesuit* *Flamesuit*

Happy 4th!

lamalex
July 4th, 2007, 03:11 PM
~I really like the breadcrumb address bar in Vista - a lot better than how Nautilus navigates directories.

Nautilus' way is intuitive and efficient, Vista's way really just ... sucks. It's hard to navigate through.

Warpnow
July 4th, 2007, 03:44 PM
The only thing keeping ubuntu behind vista and all windows releases is that it doesn't work out of the box as much as windows does.

I prefer VLC to WMP, even when I use windows.

reacocard
July 4th, 2007, 05:37 PM

That would indeed be very nice. The only other thing I'd really like to see from Vista is integrated desktop search.

ezphilosophy
July 4th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I need to go over to the Vista forums and start a thread, "Ubuntu features Vista should have". :)

Happy 4th

Kayne
July 4th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Windows Vista features ubuntu should have

3rd-party support
Seriously, with Feisty I see no other fault, for me it's already superior.
The only reasons I still have Windows is Photoshop, iTunes and Picasa (yeah I know about the Linux version, but it's incredibly slow).

phrostbyte
July 4th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Actually media players is one of the huge advantages I think Ubuntu has. I've never been able to find a media player on par with Rhythmbox, Amarok or Banshee.

mangar
July 4th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Using Vista64/ gutsy64(tribe2) results:
(please note that it all relevant to my use case, YMMV)

1. Compositing support in the wm and the toolkit
2. integrated search
3. games as first-class applications (because they actually are, for lots of users).
4. detection and support of multiple monitors.
5. sync center with mobile devices.
6. Media center, that does not require login in as a different user (as mythTV acts now).
7. elegant handling of 32bit programs.
8. on the fly filtering of filenames when using the search bar in explorer (for example: *.zi? will show all the zip files and the zit files).
9. lots and lots of bug fixing for end user programs (nautilus drag and drop, deskbar crashes, evolution, firefox memory handling, strange and obscure switches in openoffice, and the list goes on and on).
10. decent theme.

KrazyPenguin
July 4th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Too make Ubuntu like Vista:

- make everybody root administer, no more typing "sudo"
- remove package managers so we can install everything manually
- take out all FOSS
- make different distros of Ubuntu, and charge $300 for Ultimate ubuntu distro, while Basic Ubuntu can sell for $200
- rename things, and rename some programs and move them around
- make the system requirements higher, so most of us using Ubuntu have to go out and upgrade/buy new computers
- don't have a live cd, just an install disk
- make your users register
- make ubuntu only work on one computer - might as remove the gpl while we are at it
- get ride of ubuntuforums - too friendly !!!

Just a few ideas ;-)
(was I sacastic ???)

lol

bigken
July 4th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Ubuntu is not Vista or any other flavour of MS Windows

matthinckley
July 4th, 2007, 09:24 PM
boy this thread got off track..

I'm not sure what the breadcrumb address bar thing is.. could someone explain that one?

help viewer could probably be better, but I use the forums for most everything i need

accessibility? don't know about this one.. anything in specific?

media player.. well I use Rhythmbox personally and it works great for me.. the only thing that I miss from windows media player is having my player and burner/ripper in the same program..

Quillz
July 4th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Nautilus' way is intuitive and efficient, Vista's way really just ... sucks. It's hard to navigate through.
I disagree completely, I hate the way Nautilus seems to have both breadcumbs and a drop-down list of sorts, the way Vista displays is much more intelligent. I don't expect to agree with me, though, since we are on the Ubuntu Forums.

phrostbyte
July 4th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Too make Ubuntu like Vista:

- make everybody root administer, no more typing "sudo"
- remove package managers so we can install everything manually
- take out all FOSS
- make different distros of Ubuntu, and charge $300 for Ultimate ubuntu distro, while Basic Ubuntu can sell for $200
- rename things, and rename some programs and move them around
- make the system requirements higher, so most of us using Ubuntu have to go out and upgrade/buy new computers
- don't have a live cd, just an install disk
- make your users register
- make ubuntu only work on one computer - might as remove the gpl while we are at it
- get ride of ubuntuforums - too friendly !!!

Just a few ideas ;-)
(was I sacastic ???)

lol

I like your ideas and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

reacocard
July 4th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Using Vista64/ gutsy64(tribe2) results:
(please note that it all relevant to my use case, YMMV)

1. Compositing support in the wm and the toolkit
2. integrated search
3. games as first-class applications (because they actually are, for lots of users).
4. detection and support of multiple monitors.
5. sync center with mobile devices.
6. Media center, that does not require login in as a different user (as mythTV acts now).
7. elegant handling of 32bit programs.
8. on the fly filtering of filenames when using the search bar in explorer (for example: *.zi? will show all the zip files and the zit files).
9. lots and lots of bug fixing for end user programs (nautilus drag and drop, deskbar crashes, evolution, firefox memory handling, strange and obscure switches in openoffice, and the list goes on and on).
10. decent theme.

1.) Gutsy will have compiz by default, I believe, and GTK already has composite support, apps just have to take advantage of it.
2.) +1
4.) This is addressed (better at least) in Xorg 7.3
6.) +1, I believe there's a spec and team for this already
7.) um, why? Almost all FOSS stuff can simply be compiled for 64-bit.
8.) +1
10.) I like the default Human theme, but themes are always a matter of personal preference (which is why you can change them ;))