PDA

View Full Version : the little details...

heathen
July 4th, 2007, 03:32 AM
When watching the 4th (or 3rd apparently) of July fireworks from your roof, make sure your ladder is tall enough for you to get down. Jumping off the roof isnt as fun as it sounds.

starcraft.man
July 4th, 2007, 03:37 AM
When watching the 4th (or 3rd apparently) of July fireworks from your roof, make sure your ladder is tall enough for you to get down. Jumping off the roof isnt as fun as it sounds.

*Having a Corner Gas moment* (Canadians, you understand ;))

Ya, I can imagine if the roofs kinda high that it would be a pain... is this hypothetical about a real person in a real situation? :p

steven8
July 4th, 2007, 03:38 AM
If the ladder was tall enough to get up, how could it not be tall enough to get down?

heathen
July 4th, 2007, 03:46 AM
said roof is about 15' off the ground... I've jumped from higher, but it wasn't enjoyable.... and the house was on fire...

said ladder wasn't really a ladder. It was a 3' step ladder placed on deck railing. The top step was a solid 3' below the edge of the roof, and was in no way stable enough for me to try and climb down from.... It really wasn't stable enough for me to climb up, but I'm a stubborn little **** when I want to see fireworks...

crap, I said "me", so much for hypothetical....

I just moved into this house, I had no idea that i was close enough to the fireworks to watch them, but there was a tree line in the way. So, logically, I made my way to higher ground. Unfortunately, my brain doesn't always think things thru, so I ended up "stuck" on the roof.

The plus side is, my Wife got a good laugh out of it.

starcraft.man
July 4th, 2007, 04:27 AM
said roof is about 15' off the ground... I've jumped from higher, but it wasn't enjoyable.... and the house was on fire...

said ladder wasn't really a ladder. It was a 3' step ladder placed on deck railing. The top step was a solid 3' below the edge of the roof, and was in no way stable enough for me to try and climb down from.... It really wasn't stable enough for me to climb up, but I'm a stubborn little **** when I want to see fireworks...

crap, I said "me", so much for hypothetical....

I just moved into this house, I had no idea that i was close enough to the fireworks to watch them, but there was a tree line in the way. So, logically, I made my way to higher ground. Unfortunately, my brain doesn't always think things thru, so I ended up "stuck" on the roof.

The plus side is, my Wife got a good laugh out of it.

LOL, NICE! ;)

It wasn't that hard to guess though, anyway, next time, maybe you should bring a rope ladder up with you or something :p.

heathen
July 4th, 2007, 04:48 AM
lol, hopefully I'll just have a bigger ladder next time..

the good news is, I fixed the chimney while I was up there...

steven8
July 4th, 2007, 04:59 AM
I told my son when he wanted to climb the tree that getting up is one thing, getting down is another. He insisted, so I let him do it. When he was coming down, and got to that limb which was a foot and a half above his head when he jumped up to grab it, the view was kinda scary from that height when trying to come down. Whole different ball of wax.

I'm glad you didn't get hurt. My wife would have laughed too. :)

heathen
July 4th, 2007, 05:03 AM
When I used to sky dive one of the things they made all of us do was jump off the 2 story buildng..

The point of the exorcise was to demonstrate that if you know how to hit the ground you can minimize damage. I.E. opened your sail too late and are coming in fast and hard.

I always knew it would pay off someday..

steven8
July 4th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Amazing how training can help you out.

I was always interested in the idea of
being a stuntman, so I studied how to
do stunts and prattfalls. I loved that stuff.

Then, one day at work, I was inside a
machine working on it, and had to step out.
I was on the turning spindle about 6 ft
above the platform in front of the machine
when my feet slipped out from under me.
All this stuff flashed in my mind and I knew
what to do.

I pushed off from the spindle with my foot,
to get away from the machine, rapped my
left arm onto my stomach and twisted my
body so that I landed on my shoulder.

I wasn't hurt. You never know when this
stuff will come in handy.

heathen
July 4th, 2007, 05:20 AM
agreed... between the skydiving and karate, I've learned a lot about proper falling... lol...

saulgoode
July 4th, 2007, 08:47 AM
More summer holiday advice:

If you are making a quick run to the nearest party store to fetch more supplies, do not leave your car running with your dog inside while you are in the store. When you return to your vehicle, your faithful companion -- in his excitement and relief at seeing you -- will jump around and happen upon the power lock buttons on the car door's armrest. You will be left standing outside of a locked, running car holding five bags of melting ice and a case of beer.

steven8
July 4th, 2007, 08:49 AM
More summer holiday advice:

If you are making a quick run to the nearest party store to fetch more supplies, do not leave your car running with your dog inside while you are in the store. When you return to your vehicle, your faithful companion -- in his excitement and relief at seeing you -- will jump around and happen upon the power lock buttons on the car door's armrest. You will be left standing outside of a locked, running car holding five bags of melting ice and a case of beer.

Oh, that sucks. Thank god my Taurus will not let you lock the doors if the keys are in the ignition. It will automatically unlock the driver's side door.