PDA

View Full Version : Debian, the final frontier for FOSS?

blastus
July 4th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Today is a bad day for open source...

Red Hat, Microsoft talk Tux (http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5620044582.html)

By this time next year, I predict that there will not be any major Linux company or distribution, except for Debian, that won't have some kind of Microsoft partnership in place

There was more recent bad news for open source on linux watch as well.

ButteBlues
July 4th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Calm yourself. Red Hat is one of the most prominent FLOSS companies out there.

Flat out, the minute MS tries to throw an IP clause in there, Red Hat will give MS the middle finger.

az
July 4th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Interoperability is good.

This doesn't seem to be about patents. And it's ironic that MS describes it as a "problem" since they are the cause. The "problem" would go away if they revealed what patents they have that they think are violated by FLOSS.

joe.turion64x2
July 4th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Interoperability is good.

This doesn't seem to be about patents. And it's ironic that MS describes it as a "problem" since they are the cause. The "problem" would go away if they revealed what patents they have that they think are violated by FLOSS.
The problem would go away if MS goes away altogether.

reyfer
July 4th, 2007, 03:10 AM
I'm sorry, but what does looking for interoperability (which is good) have to do with distros disappearing? The only distros that will disappear are those that sell to MS like Lindows.....sorry, Linspire

steven8
July 4th, 2007, 03:23 AM
I feel like we're being hunted down like dogs.

justin whitaker
July 4th, 2007, 03:36 AM
I think that Steve Nicholls just sits around and says: "What inflammatory thing can I say today to get Slashdotted?"

starcraft.man
July 4th, 2007, 03:49 AM
I think that Steve Nicholls just sits around and says: "What inflammatory thing can I say today to get Slashdotted?"

Agreed. The way he frames things is often very inflammatory.

I for one am not worried. the article mentions this:

Patent agreements, however, won't be on the table, as far as Red Hat is concerned.

It seems people are overlooking that. Everything I've seen tells me I think that Red Hat prioritizes patent integrity (i.e. their stance against it) over their interoperability. Why not? Looking at their last quarter I saw their profits going up steadily, where as Novell was flat the same as last. IMO, they have no need for any agreements to keep doing well.

I'm not worried. Panicking produces nothing, you nor I cannot control what companies do, merely watch and try and petition them if we are customers.

juxtaposed
July 4th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Yay for debian :)

darkog
July 4th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Today is a bad day for open source...

Red Hat, Microsoft talk Tux (http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5620044582.html)

There was more recent bad news for open source on linux watch as well.

Good lord, how many times am I going to see these doom's day predictions about Linux. If it's not MS, then is Oracle, if it's not Oracle, then it's someone else. These predictions have been appearing for years and years.

SunnyRabbiera
July 4th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Most of those who have signed with MS are in fear of its insane IP crap.
Redhat might be the breaking point of all deals, they dont recognize the IP claims.
Now I dont care if a company does sign a contract in the matter of interoperability, but once they recognize the IP claims then its sayanara.

Bachstelze
July 4th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Typical SJVN rubbish. The guy is always drawing exaggerated conclusions based on partial and off-context bits taken out of statements...

jiminycricket
July 4th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Sometimes I really, really enjoy SVJN, and I sometimes I don't. It's truly odd.