PDA

View Full Version : Nice Looking Grub (just a noob, throwing it up in the air)

Devezu
July 3rd, 2007, 11:51 PM
I have an idea, and i felt that it would be nice to have a nice looking grub bootloader. Maybe something with nice pictures of each recogniseable OS and a formal name (not ubuntulinuxkernel <some strange number>) on a nice colored background (not really pictures... just color (maybe even ubuntu orange)). Maybe even load some primitive mouse modules so that one can click on the os they want. Please don't flame/yell at me, as this is only my second (yep) second day using Ubuntu and about 3 months knowlege of simplyMepis. i am just throwing the idea up in the air for those who have had "too many cups of ubuntu" and those adventurous to try it.

DeadSuperHero
July 3rd, 2007, 11:59 PM
I was thinking about this the other day.
What if the usplash, the GRUB, and the GDM could all be combined, to have seamless transititions from one to the other (with smooth animations and such?)
Is that even do-able right now?

init1
July 4th, 2007, 12:01 AM
I have an idea, and i felt that it would be nice to have a nice looking grub bootloader. Maybe something with nice pictures of each recogniseable OS and a formal name (not ubuntulinuxkernel <some strange number>) on a nice colored background (not really pictures... just color (maybe even ubuntu orange)). Maybe even load some primitive mouse modules so that one can click on the os they want. Please don't flame/yell at me, as this is only my second (yep) second day using Ubuntu and about 3 months knowlege of simplyMepis. i am just throwing the idea up in the air for those who have had "too many cups of ubuntu" and those adventurous to try it.
Yeah, I have seen some nice boot loader configurations, and Ubuntu's is not one of them. I don't care myself, but I can see how others wouldn't like it. Might be a good suggestion for the next release. I don't know if mouse support has been developed yet, but I have never seen it.

init1
July 4th, 2007, 12:06 AM
What if the usplash, the GRUB, and the GDM could all be combined, to have seamless transititions from one to the other (with smooth animations and such?)
I don't know. Maybe a custom Grub/splash/GDM could be made to make it look nice. That may be the only way.

Andrewie
July 4th, 2007, 12:06 AM
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Matrix+bootsplash+%26+GRUB+%26+kde+splash?content= 27889

I'm matrix obsessed...

Ireclan
July 4th, 2007, 12:42 AM
I agree, this would be nice, but when I suggested that we have a boot loader even as nice as SuSe's I was told that the developers weren't even considering it. The reason? They didn't want to expend that much effort on a screen you only typically see for a matter of a few seconds. I don't agree, but they're the developers, so they say what goes.

IYY
July 4th, 2007, 12:48 AM

I second that. In fact, I posted a thread about it while Edgy was still in development, and made a few mockups of what it should've looked like. I think that this will make the OS look better and more modern, and might even make the loading seem faster (psychologically).

Crashmaxx
July 4th, 2007, 12:57 AM
If you want a SUSE like grub, then here you go:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=208855

I don't even see grub on my desktop, so I don't really care. And you can just have ubuntu boot straight to the desktop if you want. I don't really see a problem.

Ralob
July 4th, 2007, 01:47 AM
I think it is a great idea and has a great deal of merit. A better looking GRUB would definitely improve the overall look IMO. I am interested to see what happens with this in the future.

Old Pink
July 4th, 2007, 01:53 AM
I don't see GRUB.

On Button > BIOS > Ubuntu :)

Delete the other operating systems, stop GRUB from showing. Your system becomes nicer all-round. ;)

FoolsGold_MKII
July 4th, 2007, 01:57 AM
I don't see GRUB.

On Button > BIOS > Ubuntu :)

Delete the other operating systems, stop GRUB from showing. Your system becomes nicer all-round. ;)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I heartedly agree with this dude. :)

bobbybobington
July 4th, 2007, 02:14 AM
I remember that they had a smooth transitions during bootup as a spec for feisty's blueprint. I don't think that making a nice grub menu would be too hard and it's the little things that add up that can make a big difference.

Ancheron
July 4th, 2007, 02:56 AM
You have to admit, though, that it is handy to have previous kernels available to fall back on if Xorg breaks from an update. Grub is nice, though it is a little utilitarian.

Devezu
July 4th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Andrewies thing is something nice, only it would be better if it were ubuntu themed