PDA

View Full Version : Nero Linux 3

Old Pink
July 3rd, 2007, 03:45 PM
http://www.nero.com/img/linux3_header2.gif

http://www.nero.com/enu/NeroLINUX_Info_Page.html

Anyone tried/using it? Any screenshots? Problems? Thoughts?

For $25, it's not bad, but I can't see why I'd choose it over Gnomebaker, or K3B. ;)

adamklempner
July 3rd, 2007, 03:57 PM
Nero Linux 3 is not only the most powerful and versatile burning application available for Linux, but now the only application to offer Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD data burning support.

Is that true? Not that I have one of those drives, but that probably makes it worth it for some people.

Warpnow
July 3rd, 2007, 04:00 PM
Anyone know how many drives this version can support?

DeadSuperHero
July 3rd, 2007, 04:09 PM
Oh, yes! They've ported Nero to Linux!
I used this on Windows all the time, it's great for burning .ISOs, data discs, DVDs, etc.

forrestcupp
July 3rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
I used to use Nero in Windows, and honestly, it's no better than K3B. Unless you need Blueray or HD DVD support, of course.

igknighted
July 3rd, 2007, 05:41 PM
I would use k3b in windows if it was available... nero et.al. are really not that good. The only windows CD/DVD software I miss is alcohol 120%, but most of that functionality is built into linux anyways.

Unicast
July 3rd, 2007, 05:47 PM
Tried Nero Linux but didn't like the fact that you couldn't make an .iso from cd's or dvd's - you could only make .nrg images! :(

GnomeBaker all the way! :p

starcraft.man
July 3rd, 2007, 06:17 PM
Nero 3 serves no advantage except blu ray and HD DVD support. K3b IMO is the superior burner overall with better layout and leaner, gnomebaker takes close second. If we remove blu ray and HD dvd from the equation (I know no one with those burners today, they cost a fortune) theres no competition with better and free. On Windows its become a bloated piece of garbage (I'm tracking down an old 6 or 5 version since I remember it being better, maybe I'll even find another) and I can't recommend people support a company that cares so little about its product/user experience.

Big thumbs down, can we all ignore Nero and they can go away?

jiminycricket
July 4th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Anyone else think they'll probably score some deals with Dell/other OEMs selling GNU/Linux with this? I also love,

WARNING:
Not for use on any Microsoft Windows operating system.

in a big yellow box. Cute :)

FoolsGold_MKII
July 4th, 2007, 06:57 AM
One reason why I like Nero in Linux is that it can burn a CD iso onto a DVD. Very useful considering I only bother downloading CD versions of Linux distros and haven't bought a CD-R in ages (only use DVDs).

Last time I tried doing this with Gnomebaker it couldn't understand wtf I was doing. Never tried k3b with the same operation though.

EDIT: In reference to Nero being bloated, it definitely is in Windows, but isn't in Linux. Linux has the burning too and that's it, which is nice.

LightB
July 4th, 2007, 07:07 AM
In buying it, for how long are you entitled to updates? Will there even be updates? Or is it just a one version buy?

Chilli Bob
July 4th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Maybe I have an out of date Gnomebaker, but mine doesn't do multisession or verify, both of whick I use with Nero on XP at work. (I havn't tried k3b, sticking to GTK as much as possible). I'll definitely consider buying Nero.

FoolsGold_MKII
July 4th, 2007, 08:05 AM
In buying it, for how long are you entitled to updates? Will there even be updates? Or is it just a one version buy?
If it's anything like the Windows version, there are fairly regular updates (once a month or something like that), and the key will continue to work through the updates. I think the key format changes between major versions of the software (i.e. in Windows, keys for Nero 6 don't work with Nero 7 and vice versa), but minor versions inside a major version chain keep working.

In other words, if you buy Nero 3 and there's an minor update (say, 3.0.0.1 but not 4.0.0.0), it's rather unlike Nero will be such bastards as to require you to buy another key. :)

hellmet
July 4th, 2007, 08:16 AM
I've tried the DEMO and I find it no where near K3B. Period.

kelvin spratt
July 4th, 2007, 08:24 AM
I use Nero 3 all the time in my opinion its the best there is, what other Linux burner will burn video TS files direct without converting to an ISO and it does write standard ISO files, it not bloated in any way Nero 3 is the Nero 7 burner in windows,

MrFSL
July 4th, 2007, 05:59 PM
IMO whenever you start asking about USER PREFERENCES you start a flame war. People like what they like and some folk believe everyone else SHOULD prefer THEIR application....

That being said... Nero 5/6 Burning Rom for Windows is that ONLY burning application that I use. It does everything that I need it to do and more. It works well... has great burner support... is stable... etc.

I tested nerolinux 2 and was disappointed. It offered nothing that gnomebaker/K3b/Bonfire didn't offer (and the interface was ugly!)

Then I tried to burn a 4 GB file to a DVD-R. This should easily be supported by the -udf flag in mkisofs/cdrecord (the real backbone on the above listed applications) but... SURPRISE it failed!! So I used nerolinux 2 to burn the disk without issue.

I was happy... went to look for an update... and found nerolinux 3. For 99 % of Linux users I would recommend one of the free/open burning applications listed above. For all those that require a more robust burner, BUY NEROLINUX 3! I highly recommend it. The interface has been fixed to be smooth and flawless. The Options/Preferences are robust, feature-filled, and almost IDENTICALLY mirror those found in it's Windows cousin. It does NOT seem bloated nor buggy. Best of all... it burns my DVD's on both my internal and external DVD Burners FASTER (noticeably) then using any of the other applications.

There is nothing better then Free/Open software. However, I do wish that more 3rd party software/hardware manufacturers supported Linux. I like to have the option. Nero is one of the most popular Windows burning applications, and for a good reason. I am glad to see this application so successfully ported to Linux!

Cheers,
MrFSL

**EDIT** - And as noted above this DOES SUPPORT ISO's not just NRG's! This was NOT a feature available in NeroLinux 2!

Erik Trybom
July 4th, 2007, 06:14 PM
It might not be the most anticipated port, but I think any program being ported to Linux is good. Not that I see any reason to pay for Nero since the free alternatives are so good, but choice is what Linux is all about.

It'll face tough competition though. K3b is a very, very good application.

Castar
July 4th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I would buy it if it had BackitUp, which is really important in my experiments as it backs up my images directly to DVDs.

Oh well, maybe in a newer version... :(

kinematic
July 4th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I use Nero 3 all the time in my opinion its the best there is, what other Linux burner will burn video TS files direct without converting to an ISO and it does write standard ISO files, it not bloated in any way Nero 3 is the Nero 7 burner in windows,

k3b will burn video-ts files directly to a dvd without converting to an iso image.
i've done it countless times.
you just choose "create new video-dvd project"....that will open 2 new panes,right-click on the video-ts folder in the pane on the bottom lefthand side and drag your vob,bup and ifo files to the pane on the right and burn 'm to disk.....that's it ;)

starcraft.man
July 4th, 2007, 07:28 PM
k3b will burn video-ts files directly to a dvd without converting to an iso image.
i've done it countless times.
you just choose "create new video-dvd project"....that will open 2 new panes,right-click on the video-ts folder in the pane on the bottom lefthand side and drag your vob,bup and ifo files to the pane on the right and burn 'm to disk.....that's it ;)

Right, I was about to correct that. K3b is awesome :).

One reason why I like Nero in Linux is that it can burn a CD iso onto a DVD. Very useful considering I only bother downloading CD versions of Linux distros and haven't bought a CD-R in ages (only use DVDs).

Last time I tried doing this with Gnomebaker it couldn't understand wtf I was doing. Never tried k3b with the same operation though.

EDIT: In reference to Nero being bloated, it definitely is in Windows, but isn't in Linux. Linux has the burning too and that's it, which is nice.

Honestly, you may be one of the only person to have ever wanted to waste a DVD on a CD image. I can get 50 CDs (700) for 15 dollars 5 minutes from my home (so can most people). Anyway, if thats what you want to do then and spend more money than you need to... good luck with that.

Polygon
July 5th, 2007, 01:02 AM
zomg, they actually compiled against GTK2 this time!

its nice that other companies are making linux ports of their software, and it is useful if you HAVE to have HD-DVD or BluRay burning support.

Dimitriid
July 5th, 2007, 01:35 AM
I got a Nero copy when I bought my dvd burner so I tried it. I like it, is quite similar to the windows versions, it might not have all the "extras" which I never used them anyway ( Why would I want to use a puny sound editor, mpeg2 encoder and author softwares when I already use much better applications for all those tasks ? )

kopinux
July 5th, 2007, 02:21 AM
if it has the movie editing software, that is really a big step.

FoolsGold_MKII
July 5th, 2007, 02:38 AM
if it has the movie editing software, that is really a big step.
Nope, it's just the burning tool.

Honestly, you may be one of the only person to have ever wanted to waste a DVD on a CD image. I can get 50 CDs (700) for 15 dollars 5 minutes from my home (so can most people). Anyway, if thats what you want to do then and spend more money than you need to... good luck with that.
You have just broken the prime rule about software development - arrogantly telling ME, the user, that I should be doing things some other way despite the fact I want to do things my own way. Provide me the features and I'll decide how to use them, features Nero does.

It's not a waste when you consider it's CHEAPER to use one of my stack of DVD-Rs which I use fairly regularly, compared to the rare occasion I might need a CD-R once, maybe twice a year. Why the hell should I buy a spindle of CDs that I'm not going to be using? THAT's a waste. Even buying a single CD-R is more expensive than just using one of my DVDs from my spindle. I think my logic is sound thank you very much. :(

Ralob
July 5th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Nope, it's just the burning tool.

You have just broken the prime rule about software development - arrogantly telling ME, the user, that I should be doing things some other way despite the fact I want to do things my own way. Provide me the features and I'll decide how to use them, features Nero does.

It's not a waste when you consider it's CHEAPER to use one of my stack of DVD-Rs which I use fairly regularly, compared to the rare occasion I might need a CD-R once, maybe twice a year. Why the hell should I buy a spindle of CDs that I'm not going to be using? THAT's a waste. Even buying a single CD-R is more expensive than just using one of my DVDs from my spindle. I think my logic is sound thank you very much. :(

Hear, hear. I use DvD's more often than not for CD images. I never use my Verbatim's DVD+R's, but usually use up stacks of my lesser quality DVD-R's like HP and Memorex. I never burn anything else with them, and I get them so cheap during holiday sales, so why buy stack of CD-R's I am rarely going to use?

starcraft.man
July 5th, 2007, 03:09 AM

My apologies, my intent was not arrogance. And your perfectly right, if Nero delivers a feature you want then by all means.

However, your logic is in error my friend. You talk about cheaper, and I know for a fact your method is not cheapest. You have to pay for Nero (legally, I do not count piracy) that costs 25 dollars. K3b or any other CD ISO burning tool on Linux is free. Secondly, your media of choice. DVDs do cost more than CDs per unit (from everywhere I buy), far as I know, at best they are equal (when bought in sufficient bulk).

So, here is the comparison for price:

Your method:
25 dollar license + DVD

My method:
0 dollars + CD

Now, since I have saved 25 dollars, I can buy my 15-20 dollar pack of 50 CDs (which you say you don't have, most users I know do have a huge stack of CDs left over) and still be saving 5 dollars. By your own barometer you only use one or two a year, so I could probably pay less for a pack of 20 real cheap and keep you happy for a long time (until CDs are defunct). Either instance, I can buy sufficient CDs for you to use and never run out for less than the 25 you spent on Nero 3. My way is the cheapest, I believe I have settled that with incontrovertible proof.

Now, if you meant to say easiest, I won't argue with that. Paying online and downloading Nero 3 is easier than going to a store (if you got one 5 minutes away, this may also be debatable) and buying (or ordering media online and shipping). Please say what you mean however, you said cheapest.

Thats it.

Oh and please do not get sanctimonious about "Prime Rule of Software Development". The nature of all software is that it is naturally bound by the actions it was programmed to perform (all GUI apps, CLI is much more liberal but still somewhat bound), ergo you are always told what you can or cannot do by the software. Point moot. I was just mildly arrogant in so much as I assumed most users do have CDs lying around (your are one of the few average users I know without blank CDs that has blank DVDs).

In future, I will be more clear with my meaning, you should likely be too.

qamelian
July 5th, 2007, 03:15 AM
I used to use Nero in Windows, and honestly, it's no better than K3B. Unless you need Blueray or HD DVD support, of course.

Actually, depending on your needs, Nero Linux blows all the other Linux CD burners out of the water. I frequently have a need to produce CDs containing sub-channel data, and Nero Linux is the only burning app that does this on Linux unless something has changed dramatically in the past 6 months.

FoolsGold_MKII
July 5th, 2007, 03:20 AM
My apologies, my intent was not arrogance. And your perfectly right, if Nero delivers a feature you want then by all means.
Not problem at all dude. However I do predict your response is probably going to be one of those "yes, but..." replies...

However,
... THERE we go. :)

your logic is in error my friend. You talk about cheaper, and I know for a fact your method is not cheapest. You have to pay for Nero (legally, I do not count piracy) that costs 25 dollars. K3b or any other CD ISO burning tool on Linux is free. Secondly, your media of choice. DVDs do cost more than CDs per unit (from everywhere I buy), far as I know, at best they are equal (when bought in sufficient bulk).
I didn't take into account the price of the software, only the physical media. #-o

Well, if k3b can extend a CD iso to burn onto a DVD, then if one looks purely at physical media cost, it's still cheaper. I'm still adament that the cost of taking a disc out of my spindle of DVDs is cheaper than buying a single CD-R in a jewel case. If the CD-R was sold without a case it might be cheaper, but they aren't gonna be doing that. :)

EDIT:

Oh and please do not get sanctimonious about "Prime Rule of Software Development". The nature of all software is that it is naturally bound by the actions it was programmed to perform (all GUI apps, CLI is much more liberal but still somewhat bound), ergo you are always told what you can or cannot do by the software. Point moot. I was just mildly arrogant in so much as I assumed most users do have CDs lying around (your are one of the few average users I know without blank CDs that has blank DVDs).
I remember reading a somewhat heated argument among the fellas at Slashdot about how some people like distributing pictures embedded in MS Word - no text, just pictures, or how some people insist on use Excel with excessive requirements for column lengths and so forth, and how for their needs they really should be using a database instead of a spreadsheet program. The point that someone pointed out was, it doesn't matter. If someone had a desire to do things one way, the developer would be stupid not to include such capability, which is the reason with MS Office 2007, Excel now allows for larger sized spreadsheets than previous versions do.

Give people what they want, not what you think they need. Otherwise they'll probably use something else.

starcraft.man
July 5th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Actually, depending on your needs, Nero Linux blows all the other Linux CD burners out of the water. I frequently have a need to produce CDs containing sub-channel data, and Nero Linux is the only burning app that does this on Linux unless something has changed dramatically in the past 6 months.

What is sub-channel data? Would you care to enlighten me about this? Can't say I ever done it knowingly...

I didn't take into account the price of the software, only the physical media. #-o

Well, if k3b can extend a CD iso to burn onto a DVD, then if one looks purely at physical media cost, it's still cheaper. I'm still adament that the cost of taking a disc out of my spindle of DVDs is cheaper than buying a single CD-R in a jewel case. If the CD-R was sold without a case it might be cheaper, but they aren't gonna be doing that. :)

Agreed on both points (I don't know if K3b can burn a CD to DVD, never tried). As for purely physical media cost, yes, its cheaper to use what you have. But, you still had to pay for Nero at least once (for the original license) and with next version you may have to pay again. I always take total cost into account.

I remember reading a somewhat heated argument among the fellas at Slashdot about how some people like distributing pictures embedded in MS Word - no text, just pictures, or how some people insist on use Excel with excessive requirements for column lengths and so forth, and how for their needs they really should be using a database instead of a spreadsheet program. The point that someone pointed out was, it doesn't matter. If someone had a desire to do things one way, the developer would be stupid not to include such capability, which is the reason with MS Office 2007, Excel now allows for larger sized spreadsheets than previous versions do. Give people what they want, not what you think they need.

I probably should have left that comment out... let's clear this up though.

First to recap, my reply to yours was intended to express how every time anyone uses any piece of software he/she agrees to work within its limitations (and all software is inherently limited by the features its been programmed to do). Therefore, your point about developers not telling you what to do was moot, in my mind they already do by virtue of the fact that they decide (not you, even if you give them feedback) what features are in version x of their program.

Your argument doesn't seem to apply very strongly to mine as rebuttal (at least in my opinion). The first half (outlining people's inefficiencies with using Word as a means of distributing pics) doesn't refute my statement. It more outlines that some people don't know what they are doing. Distributing pictures under the assumption that people have access to word is (your favourite word) arrogant, if they don't they cannot open the container and view them and you have shunned them. Same seems to apply kinda to the excel example, it is best to use the right tools. If excel was limited in its features (by devs) and the database app was not (in the feature needed) that tool should have been used.

Now for your second half:

If someone had a desire to do things one way, the developer would be stupid not to include such capability, which is the reason with MS Office 2007, Excel now allows for larger sized spreadsheets than previous versions do. Give people what they want, not what you think they need.

I agree, developers should give people what they want (they aren't stupid for limiting their products, they just can't anticipate every need and code it all at once, therefore they release versions of incremental change like the new MS2007). However (you knew it was coming), you still haven't refuted my point :). The developers in the previous situation had coded two products you mentioned both limited by the features they wrote in, the database app and excel. The purpose of each was different (database = masses of data, excel = more math applications). As I said, you use whats most appropriate to your task and work within the limitations you currently have (i.e. the limitations coded at the time by the devs).

Your new point here though (the highlighted one) only proves my point. Developpers limited your choice before and you were forced to work within those coded limitations. Now they coded in more features (more size) and you are happier. You still work within their limitations though, they just improved those limitations. When you next reach more limitations, the devs will expand your features and ability to work with the product. You are still limited by what they code though, and they do want to maximize your choice to use the product. My statement still stands.

Happy now after our little discussion? You sure gave my fingers a workout. :p

FoolsGold_MKII
July 5th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Damnit, I'm just not up for debating with someone more skilling in the art than me. :)

Your point is fair. :D

matthinckley
July 5th, 2007, 05:05 AM
well that was fun to read! :)

Atomic Dog
July 5th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Then I tried to burn a 4 GB file to a DVD-R. This should easily be supported by the -udf flag in mkisofs/cdrecord (the real backbone on the above listed applications) but... SURPRISE it failed!! So I used nerolinux 2 to burn the disk without issue.

This issue makes me crazy! Nerolinux2, with all its warts seems to work more often for me.

I have not looked at nerolinux3. I have a paid-for copy of nero 6.6, but I'm guessing my key won't work for version 3 ...or will it???

southernman
July 5th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Useless dribble alert!

*ding ding ding*

Ladiessssss and Gentleman. The judges have made their ruling and the winner is...

In the Red & White corner (canadian ya'll know), with slightly pointed ears, cornered by Captain Kirk........ starrrrrrrrcraft mannnnnnnn! *roar*

*promoter comes into ring and says* Tell us starcraft.man - Do you plan on making a move into the UFC? Tito Ortiz is just dying to get into the cage with you!

*wink*

Hallvor
July 5th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Tito Ortiz? Give the man a real challenge:

http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/fightfinder/Pictures/Fighter_1500.JPG

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?FighterID=1500

:)

forrestcupp
July 5th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Damnit, I'm just not up for debating with someone more skilling in the art than me. :)

Your point is fair. :D

I don't know what you guys are arguing about anyway. K3B can burn a CD ISO to a DVD and it's free.

And about using older versions of Nero for Windows. If you happen to have Vista, you can't do it. They won't work. Their solution to getting older versions of Nero working in Vista is that you need to buy the latest version because it works. But if you have XP, have at it.

Atomic Dog
July 5th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I don't know what you guys are arguing about anyway. K3B can burn a CD ISO to a DVD and it's free.

And about using older versions of Nero for Windows. If you happen to have Vista, you can't do it. They won't work. Their solution to getting older versions of Nero working in Vista is that you need to buy the latest version because it works. But if you have XP, have at it.

Yea, nice that my not-that-old boxed version of Nero 6.6 is useless in Vista. Not that I like using Vista, but seeing I have to start supporting it at work it would be nice to have Nero on it without having to buy an upgrade.

michaelzap
July 6th, 2007, 05:35 AM
I just switched to Ubuntu from XP about a month ago, and I got Nero 3 because I was familiar with it and I have some .nrg images I might need to burn. It works fine and is nowhere near as bloated as the Windows version. But now that I'm on this side of the fence, I tried k3b and it's damn slick and does everything that Nero Linux does and more so I pretty much only use Nero now if I get distracted when choosing from the Applications menu and accidentally click on it.

Polygon
July 6th, 2007, 07:50 AM
speaking of nero 3 for linux, and how its the only linux program to provide burning support for bluray/hd-dvd,

anyone know how far linux is to providing burning support for either format? Has an effort even been started? or are they hitting roadblocks because the formats are encrypted and all that nasty DRM stuff?

Castar
July 6th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I just switched to Ubuntu from XP about a month ago, and I got Nero 3 because I was familiar with it and I have some .nrg images I might need to burn. It works fine and is nowhere near as bloated as the Windows version. But now that I'm on this side of the fence, I tried k3b and it's damn slick and does everything that Nero Linux does and more so I pretty much only use Nero now if I get distracted when choosing from the Applications menu and accidentally click on it.

You can actually use a utility called nrg2iso to convert your .nrg files. I just found out myself!

qamelian
July 9th, 2007, 01:40 AM
What is sub-channel data? Would you care to enlighten me about this? Can't say I ever done it knowingly...

Basically, sub-channel data is stored in a separate channel from the audio data, for example, on a CG+G disc. I create custom CD+G discs, so the ability to burn sub-channel data is essential. One example would be an audio CD that contains CD+G tracks such as a karaoke CD or certain commercial audio CDs, such as "Naked: by Talking Heads that has a couple of "sing-a-long" type tracks that display lyrics on a screen when played in a CD+G player instead of a standard audio CD player.

mrbungle
July 9th, 2007, 02:22 AM
been using k3b for a while now and am pretty happy with it, but might give nero 3 a little play time and see how it does. nero was a staple on my computer when i was using windows. im pretty happy to see some of the windows programs coming over. but hey nero guys!!! we do the free thing here! :)

Hex_Mandos
July 9th, 2007, 02:50 AM
If I could, I'd use k3b on Windows. I really don't care about Nero in any platform.

mrbungle
July 9th, 2007, 03:48 AM
really? what do you use on windows?

Hex_Mandos
July 9th, 2007, 04:08 AM
I don't use Windows on my computers, but I just install whatever comes with burners. If it's nero, then I install Nero. Otherwise, it's XPBurnerPro or some other freeware app. I'd definitely use k3b if I could, it's the most reliable burning tool I've ever used.

RAV TUX
July 9th, 2007, 04:12 AM
If I could, I'd use k3b on Windows. I really don't care about Nero in any platform.
The closest thing to K3B in windows is ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com).

zugu
July 9th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Someone said something about Nero being bloated on Windows. It is! But they've released Nero Micro, a trimmed down version of Nero that includes the burning tool only.

Oh, and where's the "known" tendency of open source software to be cross-platform? AFAIK, the Nero guys released a Linux version of their tool, while K3B hasn't.

forrestcupp
July 9th, 2007, 02:29 PM
but hey nero guys!!! we do the free thing here! :)

Be careful. It's that mentality that keeps commercial software companies from releasing their software for Linux. While I don't see a need for Nero, there may be other commercial apps that I would like to see ported.

ShaqArif
July 9th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Hi,

does anyone know where I can get a working demo of Nero for Linux? I've not been able to burn anything from Ubuntu using Gnomebaker, K3B et al, and I was hoping that NfL would work for me. Currently I am having to dual boot to Windows only so that I can burn stuff to CD/DVD, and I would happily pay for Nero on Ubuntu if it means that I can get rid of Windows...

The Nero site doesn't have the demo download, and I don't want to pay for the full version until I know it's going to work.

Thanks!!

Polygon
July 9th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Someone said something about Nero being bloated on Windows. It is! But they've released Nero Micro, a trimmed down version of Nero that includes the burning tool only.

Oh, and where's the "known" tendency of open source software to be cross-platform? AFAIK, the Nero guys released a Linux version of their tool, while K3B hasn't.

i bet one of the limitations is that K3B relies on KDE libs to run... and since there are no ports of kde for anything but unix operating systems, its kinda hard to port it without rewriting a lot of the GUI

but gtk has a windows port, and several programs take advantage of that with windows ports (xchat, gaim/pidgin), maybe i can see a gnomebaker port one of these years :D

forrestcupp
July 9th, 2007, 08:24 PM
i bet one of the limitations is that K3B relies on KDE libs to run... and since there are no ports of kde for anything but unix operating systems, its kinda hard to port it without rewriting a lot of the GUI

but gtk has a windows port, and several programs take advantage of that with windows ports (xchat, gaim/pidgin), maybe i can see a gnomebaker port one of these years :D

I think KDE4 and QT4 will change that.

Polygon
July 9th, 2007, 08:30 PM
im not following KDE's development at all, are they planning a windows port of KDE?

Extreme Coder
July 9th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Hi,

does anyone know where I can get a working demo of Nero for Linux? I've not been able to burn anything from Ubuntu using Gnomebaker, K3B et al, and I was hoping that NfL would work for me. Currently I am having to dual boot to Windows only so that I can burn stuff to CD/DVD, and I would happily pay for Nero on Ubuntu if it means that I can get rid of Windows...

The Nero site doesn't have the demo download, and I don't want to pay for the full version until I know it's going to work.

Thanks!!
I'm not really sure what are you talking about..
http://www.nero.com/eng/NeroLINUX.html
download the 'DEB package" 32-bit
after it is downloaded, double click on it, click install, type your password, and its done!
Run it by clicking on Applications -> Sound & Video -> Nero Linux

mrbungle
July 9th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Be careful. It's that mentality that keeps commercial software companies from releasing their software for Linux. While I don't see a need for Nero, there may be other commercial apps that I would like to see ported.

they should just use linux as the tax write off :)

zugu
July 9th, 2007, 10:15 PM
I think KDE4 and QT4 will change that.

Won't believe it till I see it. Anyway, I hate KDE with a passion.

forrestcupp
July 10th, 2007, 02:02 AM
im not following KDE's development at all, are they planning a windows port of KDE?

They are at least releasing QT4 for Windows under the GPL. This should make it much easier to port KDE apps to Windows.

Won't believe it till I see it. Anyway, I hate KDE with a passion.
You have the right to hate it. That doesn't mean it's bad for everyone, though. There wouldn't be a K3B without it.

juxtaposed
July 10th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I think Nero is good software and this is good news :)

FoolsGold_MKII
July 10th, 2007, 04:28 AM
I'm not really sure what are you talking about..
http://www.nero.com/eng/NeroLINUX.html
download the 'DEB package" 32-bit
after it is downloaded, double click on it, click install, type your password, and its done!
Run it by clicking on Applications -> Sound & Video -> Nero Linux
I think the reason he's confused is that it's not entirely clear that the full and demo versions are the one and the same.

The difference is whether you input a legit key or not - if you do, it automatically becomes full, if not, it stays in demo mode.

TOOOL
July 10th, 2007, 04:34 AM
only issue i have with k3b is that i seem to run into trouble if burning anything over 3 Gig, not been able to use a dvd's full capacity just dosn't seem like a great feature
use to use nero and enjoyed the ease of use to create dvd's for the tv dvd players and easy to create menu system, was more or less follow your nose and it turned out good, no real learning required, now i have a divx dvd player for the tv so no real need for the conversion but still nice if you wish to create a dvd simply, basic menu etc, devede is nice excpet for the mplayer problem which gives dietorted sound and banding through image (can be fixed)
but hats off to nero for getting the dvd video suite, is this a feature in nero 3 for linux ?
as i'm enjoying ubuntu the more and more i use it the less i want windows on my system, but just missing a few things, one been a easy to use dvd creating dvd burning suite, that does all with one program and simple follow your nose and you well be right logic

ShaqArif
July 10th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Hi ExtremeCoder, FoolsGold,

thanks for the response.

When I click on the download 32 Deb package link, I get the message:

Attention: This is NOT a trial version. A valid serial number is required to download this package. If you do not have a valid serial number, click here.'

Clicking the link then takes me to the trial version page, but there I get the message:
'New free demo package will be available soon.'

I'll try installing the deb that they have when I get home tonight, but I suspect that it will be asking me for a serial number at some point - which I'll happily buy if it works for me, but not before then...

Thanks!

Shaq

zugu
July 10th, 2007, 12:40 PM
You have the right to hate it. That doesn't mean it's bad for everyone, though. There wouldn't be a K3B without it.I never implied KDE is bad for everyone.

Extreme Coder
July 10th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Hi ExtremeCoder, FoolsGold,

thanks for the response.

When I click on the download 32 Deb package link, I get the message:

Attention: This is NOT a trial version. A valid serial number is required to download this package. If you do not have a valid serial number, click here.'

Clicking the link then takes me to the trial version page, but there I get the message:
'New free demo package will be available soon.'

I'll try installing the deb that they have when I get home tonight, but I suspect that it will be asking me for a serial number at some point - which I'll happily buy if it works for me, but not before then...

Thanks!

Shaq
Nah, don't worry.
Just go ahead and try it, it will give you a demo serial when it asks.

Gausian
July 10th, 2007, 02:34 PM
i really like Nero for linux, it made my transition from windows a little easier.

Sunflower1970
July 10th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I also liked Nero on windows. Although I now am happy with K3b, I'm very glad to see Nero ported over. I have Nero 7 still for Windows...I wonder if the serial number will work for the Linux version...? Anyway, It will be nice to have another option for burning software.

kelvin spratt
July 10th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I use Nero 3 its the same burning engine as Nero 7 but for Linux, it auto skins to your theme so looks the part and is a very serious burner as you'd expect from Nero the trial version comes with a serial that you need to change for extended use. above all its very consistent in its burn Quality and i get 96%-98% using Plextor or
Nero Quality checks using Verbatim at X16. Only Gear 701 burner, betters Nero and that is expensive in my system.

Atomic Dog
July 10th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I am evaluating it now, and it is like a familiar friend. So far it seems to work flawlessly.

Eddie Wilson
July 10th, 2007, 05:04 PM
That being said... Nero 5/6 Burning Rom for Windows is that ONLY burning application that I use. It does everything that I need it to do and more. It works well... has great burner support... is stable... etc.

I tested nerolinux 2 and was disappointed. It offered nothing that gnomebaker/K3b/Bonfire didn't offer (and the interface was ugly!)

**EDIT** - And as noted above this DOES SUPPORT ISO's not just NRG's! This was NOT a feature available in NeroLinux 2!

I burn files over 4 gigs quite often in Gnomebaker and haven't any problems doing so. I also tried NeroLinux 2 and didn't like it. Maybe 3 will be better.
Eddie

newbie2
August 31st, 2007, 03:19 PM
Nero has launched a Linux version of its digital media software, together with the eighth iteration of its digital multimedia suite, at the IFA consumer electronics show in Berlin.

Nero Linux 3, the latest version of the firm's software for Linux users, also includes Blu-ray and HD-DVD burning support across all of the high definition formats.
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2197748/nero-burns-linux
http://www.nero.com/eng/nerolinux-prog.html

Amazona aestiva
August 31st, 2007, 03:21 PM
:)I use it. It's working well!:)

Steveway
August 31st, 2007, 03:23 PM
Nero for Linux has been around for quite some time.
And K3B is far superior to Nero.

starcraft.man
August 31st, 2007, 03:24 PM
Uh ya... where have you been? The linux version of Nero been out for a while. Apart from the Blu/HD Burn support I see no reason to buy it, K3b does everything most people need.

I also don't really want to encourage Nero, their software has traditionally been bloated on Windows and I imagine it's only a matter of time for Linux.

newbie2
August 31st, 2007, 03:53 PM
Nero for Linux has been around for quite some time.
And K3B is far superior to Nero.

didn't know that...thanks for the advice... i am no burning expert :oops: ... but is K3B nowadays Blu Ray-ready ?

starcraft.man
August 31st, 2007, 03:56 PM
didn't know that...thanks for the advice... i am no burning expert :oops: ... but is K3B nowadays Blu Ray-ready ?

No, to my knowledge none of the burning apps native to Linux support it. Are you saying you paid between 3 and 600 dollars for one of those drives + media? You'd have been better served by an extra hard drive or a internal/external raid solution. I don't think theres much reason to be paying the premium for those burners + media now or ever given how inexpensive drives are.

Perfect Storm
August 31st, 2007, 04:34 PM
Have it since version 2, but version 3 is alot like the windows version.

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/95785/0/nero-pre.jpg (http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/95784/0/nero.jpg)
click to enlage

Works great.

SunnyRabbiera
August 31st, 2007, 04:50 PM
still rather if you like it or not nero for Linux is a good thing as nero is pretty popular in the windows world

kstruve
August 31st, 2007, 04:53 PM
Why is there a "Trial Version"? Does it expire at some point? It does say that it's fully functional, so why would you buy it for $25?

Perfect Storm
August 31st, 2007, 04:56 PM
Well as I see it: Alot of people complains about companies not making software, drivers etc. for Linux and when they do people say don't buy it.

No wonder why things go slow.

That's why I bought it, to help companies to make linux software.

kstruve
August 31st, 2007, 05:08 PM
Oh I agree with you, and $25 is not much. I was just wondering if the Trial Version expires or something.

Perfect Storm
August 31st, 2007, 05:10 PM
I'm not quiet sure...

starcraft.man
August 31st, 2007, 05:22 PM
still rather if you like it or not nero for Linux is a good thing as nero is pretty popular in the windows world
I'd argue their popularity is a bit undeserving...

Well as I see it: Alot of people complains about companies not making software, drivers etc. for Linux and when they do people say don't buy it.

No wonder why things go slow.

That's why I bought it, to help companies to make linux software.

I see what your saying about wanting companies to make software for Linux and support them, I agree with that.

I'm not gonna recommend people support Nero though, based off my experience. Nero's been making horribly bloated software for a long time it seems (some way through version 6 and all of 7). While the version I saw for Linux wasn't so much, I believe it's only a matter before it gets there. Thus consider it a proactive measure, I don't encourage supporting bloat. Add to that the fact that the burning software actually doesn't do anything K3b/Gnomebaker can't (save Blu Ray and HD DVD burning, people who need that should buy Nero) and the only reason it seems to buy it is to support them on Linux.

Those are my two issues with Nero Linux. If you want to support them go right ahead. I just can't justify telling people to buy a product simply because it's on Linux. Software should stand on it's own merits, if it has none you don't support it.

Oh and yes kstruve, the trial version does expire though I'm not sure how long it is. Most functions are enabled for the trial though I believe.

debianchick
August 31st, 2007, 05:34 PM
Oh I agree with you, and $25 is not much. I was just wondering if the Trial Version expires or something.

With the windows one by the time the download gets done the trial has expired so it wont be long until it starts happening with Linux one :)

Old Pink
August 31st, 2007, 05:51 PM
Didn't I post this like, two months ago?

Yes, yes I did.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=491167

Thread merge, please? :)

Perfect Storm
August 31st, 2007, 06:21 PM
Those are my two issues with Nero Linux. If you want to support them go right ahead. I just can't justify telling people to buy a product simply because it's on Linux. Software should stand on it's own merits, if it has none you don't support it.

I can respect that opinion.
The point is if noone buys "test" product from companies linux will never go main stream = good software/hardware support (which from your statement agrees with :) )

bapoumba
August 31st, 2007, 06:26 PM
Thread merge, please? :)
Yupsies :)

Perfect Storm
August 31st, 2007, 06:28 PM
Yupsies :)

I've people to do the hard work for me :guitar:

(just kidding, the reason is I never moderate a thread I'm involved in).

bapoumba
August 31st, 2007, 06:36 PM
I've people to do the hard work for me :guitar:
Yes masta ::bows::bows::bows::

(just kidding, the reason is I never moderate a thread I'm involved in).
;)

kelvin spratt
August 31st, 2007, 07:14 PM
It tells you on the download site when Nero expires ,Linux regardless is way behind on a lot of things to do with multimedia and it needs forward thinking commercial companies to give them a kick up the backside and Nero does just that

starcraft.man
August 31st, 2007, 07:49 PM
I can respect that opinion.
The point is if noone buys "test" product from companies linux will never go main stream = good software/hardware support (which from your statement agrees with :) )
Ya, I get that. Though it's debatable how exactly we "go main stream", it's a chicken/egg debate. Suffice to say I don't think Nero is the company that will break us through. If I were to put my dollar on a single company, it'd be getting native Adobe apps (even if I don't particularly want them or pay that huge price).

It tells you on the download site when Nero expires ,Linux regardless is way behind on a lot of things to do with multimedia and it needs forward thinking commercial companies to give them a kick up the backside and Nero does just that

I agree that Linux has a few areas that need improving but I fail to see how Nero gives any help in that regard. As noted, it's only notable feature is Blu/HD burning support (which 95+% users don't need), least that's all I saw. None of the rest of the program seemed interesting in the least, we already have quality burning programs and that doesn't seem an area we are lacking in.

michaelzap
August 31st, 2007, 08:20 PM
I totally agree. At least in its current state, I don't see how Nero Linux is any better than the excellent open source apps that we already have. If Adobe offered Photoshop and Flash for Linux, however, that would be a horse of a very different color...

Perfect Storm
August 31st, 2007, 08:25 PM
yeah, but it have to start at one place. If Adobe sees there's a market for developing software for linux. It properly come.

fearevilleet
September 1st, 2007, 09:41 PM
I found nero 3 was the only program that would properly burn a wii iso In my option it is worth the $25.00 for ease of use and to support company's porting their software to linux.

starcraft.man
September 1st, 2007, 10:06 PM
yeah, but it have to start at one place. If Adobe sees there's a market for developing software for linux. It properly come.
Some days I wonder if Adobe cares that much... I mean the way they price Photoshop it seems like they think their users are so hooked they'll pay nearly anything for it. We'll see anyway... maybe they just think all their Linux users have a copy of Windows to use in a VM?

I found nero 3 was the only program that would properly burn a wii iso In my option it is worth the $25.00 for ease of use and to support company's porting their software to linux.

By "Wii ISO" I hope you are not admitting to pirating Wii titles on a public forum, that's not a good idea. As for the actual feature, unless they did something special when making the ISO K3b should support it as well as almost any other format.

biomedtech
September 2nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
How does one handle nrg files? Neither gomebaker nor k3b will convert them directly to dvd video.

starcraft.man
September 2nd, 2007, 01:46 PM
There is a program in the main repositories that is called "nrg2iso". It will do a straight conversion for you, it is command line but easy to use. Install the package then read the man, it's just a simple target/output command. I'm pretty sure there must be a GUI converter but I don't remember it off hand.

stmiller
September 2nd, 2007, 04:03 PM
Some days I wonder if Adobe cares that much... I mean the way they price Photoshop it seems like they think their users are so hooked they'll pay nearly anything for it. We'll see anyway... maybe they just think all their Linux users have a copy of Windows to use in a VM?

I have similar feelings. I mean, the OS X Intel version of CS3 took them over a year to do, as it was a major rewrite. If they were to make a Linux version it would be quite a port. They could do it of course, but do they care to? :(

coskierken
December 30th, 2008, 06:03 AM
The one thing that kept me from total removing Windows from my laptop (last computer to have XP) is Nero. It may be bloated, but the dvd to mp4 was dead simple to use. I like the fact you could set the compression rates simply and quickly on a variable scale. No Linux version of this has this at all. Sure, you can put it in manually in DVD rip, Handbrake, etc, but there is quite a learning curve with learning bitrate, deinterlacing, etc. In Nero XP, just set it and go. I know use DVD rip and Handbrake successfully, but the speed is a killer. Nero in Windows is very fast and produced good results. Just my 2 cents worth as an Intrepid user (99 % of the time). The built in Video editing was a plus, also. You might call this bloat, but I call it an all inclusive package. I really don't mind bloat if it works well. When I did load Nero in XP, I just did not load certain packages I did not like or use, so less bloat. Just look how much Ubuntu has become bloated since U7.1. But, it works and HD space is not an issue.
I will state that I would pay $25 for software if it is good, regardless of what OS I use. I have heard this many times in regards to the Photoshop issue. I have a good friend who does web editing use Adobe Photoshop is Windows and does almost all of his editing there. He has tried running Photoshop in Wine, but did not care for it. Heck, I tried to run Nero in Wine, but alas, could not get it run. I like it that much.
I have been patient and look at software, from whatever source, in an non-opinionated way. Ok, I gave you 3 cents worth. Ya'll have a good day! :)

kaibob
December 30th, 2008, 06:47 AM
One of the very few Windows programs that I still use is DVD Shrink. There's been some talk (or perhaps wishful thinking) that Nero will port Nero Recode to Linux. I've already paid $25.00 for Nero Linux 3, but I'd happily spend another $25.00 for an update that includes Nero Recode for Linux.

coskierken
December 31st, 2008, 02:04 AM
Just put on the trial version. Don't like it much and without recode, I will take it off. If they put this in and then charge only $25, I will probably get it. :confused:

jrusso2
December 31st, 2008, 04:25 AM

For $25, it's not bad, but I can't see why I'd choose it over Gnomebaker, or K3B. ;)

The one thing I wanted this to do that it does not seem to support the the Windows Nero does is to shrink DVD's sizes.

jrusso2
December 31st, 2008, 04:27 AM

Yes it does expire or people would use it for free.

jrusso2
December 31st, 2008, 04:28 AM

Actually the reason Nero sells this for Linux is a lot of users demanded it. So it helps if we buy what we demand.

stinger30au
December 31st, 2008, 04:37 AM

for $25 its an insult to the linux community unfortunately

its basically nero 3 for windows ported to linux.

does not have any of the features like nero 5 and above

if you do happen to have nero for windows, run it inside xp pro inside of virtual box and do your video editing etc with that

create a shared directory between virtual box and linux and burn the data to cd/dvd with whatever free burning app you like be it k3b, brasero or whatever

please dont buy this product untill "ahead", the company behind it all actually make a program worthy of spending our cash on

handy
December 31st, 2008, 01:16 PM
I've been using Nero since version 2.x.x. It seems to suit my hardware, & on more than one machine, better than any of the free Linux burners I've tried.

What I have found is that if I am burning multiple DVD's say 8 or so, I've found that NeroLinux is the only one that does not fail in one form or another. i.e. it does not crash, ever, & others do, with the chance increasing with every extra burn you do for them to crash. Nero also doesn't burn errors into the DVD that you don't find out about until you watch the disk, the chance of this type of error also increases with the number of disks burned.

These problems may no longer exist, as it has been over a year since I checked out the the alternatives. NeroLinux has never failed me in any way shape or form & for $25- I think that is great value.