PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Projects

StormGuy
July 3rd, 2007, 09:00 AM
I've just finished my first year of CS classes, and I'm looking for an opportunity to use some of what I've learned. I've only finished up through an object oriented class were we learned C++. I'd love to expand my knowledge further and get some practice in, but I have a hard time figuring out what to program. I can't seem to come up with any interesting ideas for programs that I'd like to use, personally. I'm trying to find a project that is both useful for me to work on and something I'd be capable of doing. What's a good way to stimulate creativity regarding programming?

Stephen Howard
July 3rd, 2007, 09:54 AM
Have a browse of the SourceForge repository (http://sourceforge.net/) - maybe something will catch your interest.

Start small, find a small but active project and if it doesn't do something you think it should, then submit a patch. Unless you already have a reputation for coding, its best to just write the patch first and send it in to the developer - this will quickly overcome the problem of a verbose new arrival at a forum promising the world and never being heard of again.