PDA

View Full Version : ATI : Linux Crew Driver Feedback Program

newbie2
July 3rd, 2007, 07:08 AM
ATI strives to continually improve our drivers and software and we invite you to tell us how.
This program is intended to gather feedback for specific Linux driver releases and not to solicit regular support inquiries. All support inquires will not be responded to.

If you are experiencing a problem with our latest driver release, or if you have suggestions on how to make our drivers better, please take the time to submit your feedback.

http://support.ati.com/ics/survey/survey.asp?deptID=894&surveyID=508&type=web

"STORM THE FRONT!!!!":-x:-x:mad:

WalmartSniperLX
July 3rd, 2007, 08:44 AM
Did it.

brim4brim
July 3rd, 2007, 08:55 AM
My driver is flying with the software update from Ubuntu last night. X600 mobility. Getting 6,000FPS in 5 seconds in glxgears (numbers are probably out slightly given I'm on a Windows machine in work now and just trying to remember them).

I can play the Flight Simulator game in add/remove applications that I was getting about 5 FPS with the last driver and I can run Xmoto at the same time as Beryl.

However Beryl's emerald themes aren't theming properly for some reason. I was trying to use the Vista theme and the titlebar becomes almost completely transparent with none of the colours through it. It worked in the last driver and its kind of odd that they'd break it.

weblordpepe
July 3rd, 2007, 09:42 AM
How could you get beryl running with the official ati driver? It doesnt work.
I requested an uninstaller or a .deb or a better way to integrate with ubuntus restricted driver management. and i requested beryl/compiz support.

brim4brim
July 3rd, 2007, 10:25 AM
I just used the howto to install Beryl on Ubuntu when using an ATI card.

Its probably not full Beryl or something but I get the wobbly windows etc.. and 3D desktop and I have the emerald theme manager installed and I'm using its themes but they don't work properly. I have the Beryl settings manager working using the restricted driver as I can change all the settings with that.

I'm using an ATI X600 mobility card. I previously had all the water effects and everything working with the old driver and full emerald theming. I've not tried to enable the water effects this time because I found them a bit over the top and more annoying than anything else.

weblordpepe
July 3rd, 2007, 12:46 PM
Holy cow really?? Geezuz I better get troubleshooting.

Patrick-Ruff
July 3rd, 2007, 01:50 PM
it's possible to get it running. but it's certainly not worth it at the drivers current state.

you either use aiglx and deal with s ome insane sluggishness, or you use XGL and deal with some INSANE instability.

maniacmusician
July 3rd, 2007, 03:45 PM
it's possible to get it running. but it's certainly not worth it at the drivers current state.

you either use aiglx and deal with s ome insane sluggishness, or you use XGL and deal with some INSANE instability.
it's XGL that's sluggish...AIGLX is not sluggish, but it just doesn't have the full set of rendering instructions. so you can get basic 3D stuff with it, but you can't really play games or anything...just with the ATI drivers though. nVidia and their hacked up AIGLX works fine, as does AIGLX + Intel GPU's

brim4brim
July 3rd, 2007, 05:05 PM
it's XGL that's sluggish...AIGLX is not sluggish, but it just doesn't have the full set of rendering instructions. so you can get basic 3D stuff with it, but you can't really play games or anything...just with the ATI drivers though. nVidia and their hacked up AIGLX works fine, as does AIGLX + Intel GPU's

I don't know what it is but my ATI Card has taking a liking to these new drivers released the other day in the software update. Everything is working very fast. Menus are more responsive in Gnome and games play a lot better.

newbie2
July 3rd, 2007, 06:22 PM
The Truth About ATI/AMD & Linux

Published on June 01, 2007 by Michael Larabel.
Page 1 of 9.

It had taken ATI approximately six months to deliver Radeon X1000 (R500) Linux product support and it is going on a year now that they have been lacking AIGLX support for Compiz and Beryl. Their current generation fglrx Linux driver is also handicapped when it comes to the performance capabilities with the fglrx driver performing much slower than the Windows ATI Catalyst driver and that of NVIDIA's driver. While ATI/AMD is working steadfast in addressing all of these issues and further enhancing their level of Linux support, many of their customers do not realize all of the work that goes into these drivers. You don't need to go far to find Linux users flaming about the lack of a particular feature or those bashing the driver over an experience they had years ago, but these consumers often do not realize the time invested into these drivers and that ATI/AMD is doing something about improving these drivers.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=735&num=1

starcraft.man
July 3rd, 2007, 06:30 PM
The Truth About ATI/AMD & Linux

Published on June 01, 2007 by Michael Larabel.
Page 1 of 9.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=735&num=1

I'm happy I stuck with NVidia for my new and older machines. Honestly, seems kinda too little too late for me as a customer, I already have a top of line card better than the ATI specs for comparable and better driver support, win win IMO as a gamer.

newbie2
July 3rd, 2007, 06:48 PM
I'm happy I stuck with NVidia for my new and older machines. Honestly, seems kinda too little too late for me as a customer, I already have a top of line card better than the ATI specs for comparable and better driver support, win win IMO as a gamer.

Speaking to a matter near and dear to many Linux desktop users, Chris DiBona, Google's open-source program manager, said, "I would love to get either Nvidia or ATI to actually give us the specs on the drivers we want or let's just reverse engineer everything and do it ourselves. I would like to see you guys [the Linux developers] do that. ...Then, people would say 'Oh, well, there are free drivers out there, more people are using it, we'll open-source our drivers, and so the users will use our driver and at least get the best experience.'"

Unfortunately, even with DiBona seeing two of Nvidia executives every week at their gym and telling them, "You guys have got to open this up because it will just get uglier and uglier and uglier," neither ATI nor Nvidia came to the meeting, and from discussions at the gathering, neither seems interested in doing more for the Linux community than they already are doing.
:roll:[-(
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2147742,00.asp

starcraft.man
July 3rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
:roll:[-(
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2147742,00.asp

And, whats your point? I never said NVidia cared that much more about me. They have delivered drivers I'm happy with though and the best hardware option for me (from the specs I seen). That's all I need a company to do, ATI can promise and say their working hard till their blue in the face... only the drivers actually out matter.

As for the execs, bleh... does someone annoying ya every day to do something get ya motivated?

newbie2
July 3rd, 2007, 06:57 PM
QuakeWars coming for Linux

PROGRAMMERS at Splash Damage, developing Quake Wars: Enemy Territory, have revealed that Linux support for the game will be imminently forthcoming after the Windows release.

Since the game's engine runs on OpenGL, a Linux port is relatively easy. Whilst there had previously been suggestions that a Linux client might be included on the retail DVD, it seems that it will, in fact, be a downloadable client released shortly after.

Splash says that both Nvidia and ATI are keen to get the client out the door, which says good things about their level of Linux support, we think.
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40579
:o

weblordpepe
July 4th, 2007, 12:09 PM
yay :D

dmacdonald111
September 4th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I don't think that the right question has been asked here. It's not 'why is it taking so long?' 'how long is it going to be?' What you need to be asking is 'Why haven't they released the driver open source?' Are they scared someone will find something they don't want us to see? The fact that if 'linux users' get hold of it, they would take over the world? What? Why be mysterious unless you've got something that you a) either want to hide b) xxxxxxxx c) don't linux to develop.

(I took out b) as it was going to be: I would abstain from that question)

I don't think that it's anything that's conspiracy-filled, but you get the point.

weblordpepe
September 6th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Ok that was a confusing post.
Anyways looks like there are new drivers on the way, including support for compiz http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070904006432&newsLang=en