PDA

View Full Version : Simple text-editor (like gedit) with Spellchecking?

Kimm
July 2nd, 2007, 11:00 PM
I was just woundering if there is such a thing?? Preferably with several languages (using myspell or aspell?). Sometimes when I feel like writing something, I don't want to fire up a big application like OpenOffice (or even AbiWord for that mather), something small like GEdit does the job nicely! But I do miss spellchecking...

Tips? :-)

Rui Pais
July 2nd, 2007, 11:08 PM
I was just woundering if there is such a thing?? ... something small like GEdit does the job nicely! But I do miss spellchecking...

Tips? :-)

ahh... F7?
;)

ynnhoj
July 2nd, 2007, 11:12 PM
i'm pretty sure kate does spell checking -- not sure if you want to install all the kde stuff though.

oh, and gedit appears to have a spell check plugin (which rui pais alluded to). are you looking for something that will underline/highlight mis-spelled words too?

Kimm
July 2nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
ahh... F7?
;)

Aaah, thank you! I had missed that function :P

Rui Pais
July 2nd, 2007, 11:41 PM
No problem :)

Note that besides F7 (Check Spelling), you got, on menu under Tools, a 'Autocheck Spelling' and a 'Set Language' options.

Have fun
:D

quixotic-cynic
October 26th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks for starting/contributing to this thread - it saved me from making a new one.

Is there a simple GUI text editor with spell check that does not rely on any Gnome or KDE dependencies?

I know about Kate, but I'm trying to avoid it. I know about Nano, but it is a little too basic for what I am looking for. On-the-fly spell checking would be useful, etc.

So, under those constraints, could someone possibly suggest something?

LaRoza
October 26th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks for starting/contributing to this thread - it saved me from making a new one.

Is there a simple GUI text editor with spell check that does not rely on any Gnome or KDE dependencies?

I know about Kate, but I'm trying to avoid it. I know about Nano, but it is a little too basic for what I am looking for. On-the-fly spell checking would be useful, etc.

So, under those constraints, could someone possibly suggest something?

You want simple, yet you want complex. Spell checking is not a feature of simple text editors in most cases.

quixotic-cynic
October 26th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I knew someone was going to do that... >.<

Perhaps I should have tried harder to be more specific.

An editor with a simple interface, not necessarily simple features, I guess. I think most people will know what I mean. If not... like mousepad but with spellchecking is an approximation.

Kimm
October 26th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I knew someone was going to do that... >.<

Perhaps I should have tried harder to be more specific.

An editor with a simple interface, not necessarily simple features, I guess. I think most people will know what I mean. If not... like mousepad but with spellchecking is an approximation.

Take a look at Tea (http://tea-editor.sourceforge.net/).
I dont know if it's what you are looking for... but atleast it shouldnt have any gnome dependencies

quixotic-cynic
October 26th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Take a look at Tea (http://tea-editor.sourceforge.net/).
I dont know if it's what you are looking for... but atleast it shouldnt have any gnome dependencies

Thank you very much for the reply. It looks promising. From trying to install from the repo I get
The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
gnome-mime-data libavahi-glib1 libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common
libgtksourceview-common libgtksourceview1.0-0 tea-data

However, the link you gave me suggests compiling with --enable-legacy to avoid the gnomes, so there is hope yet. :)

Edit: Unfortunately when trying to compile it asks me for gtk+2 (which I have?). I think it may want the -dev file but that pulls in >40mb of dependencies so I really don't want to do that...

quixotic-cynic
October 28th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I couldn't get TEA to compile in the end. However, they have an up-to-date RPM via their website so I installed that using alien (and libgtksourceview-2.0 via aptitude) and it seems to be working more or less. Thanks again for the recommendation. It seems overly complex, but complex with spellchecking is better than leafpad etc with no spell checking.

NevarMaor
March 13th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Don't know if you're still looking but another program to try for non-Gnome text editing with spell check is cream, a gui frontend to vim