Albi
July 2nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Online Application for the Canadian Armed Forces

(Failed) Operating system
checking... Supported browser
checking... Cookies are enabled
checking... Javascript is enabled

:D

If you were actually serious about joining, you know you can easily spoof this, right?

~LoKe
July 2nd, 2007, 09:08 PM
If you were actually serious about joining, you know you can easily spoof this, right?

I know, I just thought it was funny. I'm probably just going to talk to a recruiter in person.

prizrak
July 2nd, 2007, 09:09 PM
Yeah the army don't want no Linux using communists.

Motoxrdude
July 2nd, 2007, 09:09 PM
Theres ane extension for firefox that makes website's think you are running IE on winXP.

DigitalDuality
July 2nd, 2007, 09:11 PM
Yeah the army don't want no Linux using communists.

i don't know abou tthat. this is the CANADIAN army. ;)

igknighted
July 2nd, 2007, 09:12 PM
Theres ane extension for firefox that makes website's think you are running IE on winXP.

Again, the point was not anything about linux, and of course there are workarounds. The irony is that Army (which if Canada is anything like the US is always desperate for more volunteers) is blocking out any potential recruits on something as trivial as the OS used.

71CH
July 2nd, 2007, 09:16 PM

can you share this extension

Motoxrdude
July 2nd, 2007, 09:16 PM

Again, the point was not anything about linux,

Ok, what is it then?

igknighted
July 2nd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Ok, what is it then?

umm. did you read my whole post?

the Army (which if Canada is anything like the US is always desperate for more volunteers) is blocking out any potential recruits on something as trivial as the OS used.
8 Minutes Ago 04:11 PM

What I was saying is that the OP understood what happened and how/why, and probably the workaround for it. The reason he/she posted it seemed more to point out the irony of an army struggling to maintain its ranks would block linux users from applying with a site policy like that.

Warpnow
July 2nd, 2007, 09:21 PM
Wow....Wow...Wow...

wow.

wow.

Canada has an army?

xpod
July 2nd, 2007, 09:27 PM
can you share this extension

Ten Shun....
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59

71CH
July 2nd, 2007, 09:50 PM
Ten Shun....
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59

too bad it doesn't work for myspace.com/fox

ynnhoj
July 2nd, 2007, 09:50 PM
Wow....Wow...Wow...

wow.

wow.

Canada has an army?
sure enough, we do. typically nothing more than a peacekeeping force (and a very good one at that, i would say) by they're really getting into the fray in afghanistan. a friend of mine was in the army for a while a few years ago, but eventually decided to leave; i think he got cold feet when it became apparent that he'd be headed for afghanistan.

as for the original topic: seems silly that their site would be so restricting. chalk it up to bad design, i guess.

forrestcupp
July 2nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
too bad it doesn't work for myspace.com/fox

I used to watch 24 on there. I got it working by running the Windows version of Firefox in WINE, then running the exe video player they make you download in WINE. After I installed that, I was able to watch the vids in the Windows version of Firefox without any problem. It's crap that we have to do it that way, but at least it worked. And with Beryl, I was able to use the zoom feature and watch it pretty much full screen. Beryl smoothed the video out so it looked better than original.

71CH
July 2nd, 2007, 10:04 PM
I used to watch 24 on there. I got it working by running the Windows version of Firefox in WINE, then running the exe video player they make you download in WINE. After I installed that, I was able to watch the vids in the Windows version of Firefox without any problem. It's crap that we have to do it that way, but at least it worked. And with Beryl, I was able to use the zoom feature and watch it pretty much full screen. Beryl smoothed the video out so it looked better than original.

where can i get this windows version?

~LoKe
July 2nd, 2007, 10:12 PM
Wow....Wow...Wow...

wow.

wow.

Canada has an army?

Home to the best snipers in the world.

forrestcupp
July 2nd, 2007, 10:19 PM
where can i get this windows version?

Go here (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html) and find English or your language and download the Windows version of Firefox. Run it in WINE, then go to the myspace website and try to run a video. It will try to download the video player which you will save to your hard drive, then you run that program with WINE. That will install the video player and you won't have to worry about it anymore, the vids will just work from then on with the Windows version of Firefox.

Sorry about the hijack.

Actually someone beat me to it earlier: Canada has an army? I thought they only had mounties.

Hendrixski
July 2nd, 2007, 10:21 PM

Yeah, if Michael Moore likes them then there's got to be something wrong with them

. . .

even though... I will concede,.. "sicko" was a good documentary, and one hell of an advertisement for Canada... there may be a small jump in immigration from the US!

Stew2
July 2nd, 2007, 10:39 PM
Wow....Wow...Wow...

wow.

wow.

Canada has an army?

Ever heard of Vimy Ridge? :) My Grandfather fought there.

init1
July 3rd, 2007, 12:21 AM
Who'd want to be in the army anyway?
Yeah, I don't feel like dieing any time soon...

71CH
July 3rd, 2007, 01:14 AM
Go here (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html) and find English or your language and download the Windows version of Firefox. Run it in WINE, then go to the myspace website and try to run a video. It will try to download the video player which you will save to your hard drive, then you run that program with WINE. That will install the video player and you won't have to worry about it anymore, the vids will just work from then on with the Windows version of Firefox.

Sorry about the hijack.

Actually someone beat me to it earlier: Canada has an army? I thought they only had mounties.

sorry all for hijacking this thread but this should be my last post on this topic

how do i open the windows version of firefox? i'm planning on deleting the desktop icon and it doesn't seem to appear in the internet section of the menu. thanks.

macogw
July 3rd, 2007, 05:39 AM
Wow....Wow...Wow...

wow.

wow.

Canada has an army?

Before the Allied landing at Normandy, the landing vehicles were tested elsewhere with the Canadian Army on board. They all died. That's when the Allies decided to rework their plans for those landing vehicles.

Hallvor
July 3rd, 2007, 09:51 AM
Before the Allied landing at Normandy, the landing vehicles were tested elsewhere with the Canadian Army on board. They all died. That's when the Allies decided to rework their plans for those landing vehicles.

You mean Dieppe? Probably the most lunatic undertaking ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieppe_Raid

hidey
July 3rd, 2007, 11:01 AM
Soooo...Windows users make better cannon fodder?

prizrak
July 3rd, 2007, 02:02 PM

Wait a second.... They have one?!!!

Warpnow
July 3rd, 2007, 02:19 PM
Wait a second.... They have one?!!!

I know!! Its surprising!!

forrestcupp
July 3rd, 2007, 03:10 PM
sorry all for hijacking this thread but this should be my last post on this topic

how do i open the windows version of firefox? i'm planning on deleting the desktop icon and it doesn't seem to appear in the internet section of the menu. thanks.

I just made a complete HowTo guide on how to get this working. It will be in the Tutorials and Tips section, but it has to be approved by a moderator first. When it gets approved, I'll let you know.

jiminycricket
July 4th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Online Application for the Canadian Armed Forces

What an awful website. It doesn't even work with FIREFOX or Opera or my Internet Explorer 6 on Windows for some reason, it stops after passing everything, (with Opera, it freezes at "checking... Supported browser".)

I'm definitely sending an email to them. You can do it too from their contact us (http://www.recruiting.dnd.ca/v3/engraph/contactus/feedback_en.aspx?bhcp=1)page:

feedback@forces.ca
Subject: Comments on the site

kvonb
July 4th, 2007, 07:11 AM
They probably don't want people who can think for themselves! As Linux users we tend to fall into that category.

It may be something to do with having to accept being killed by the thick American army every time Canada helps them out!

Frak
July 4th, 2007, 07:14 AM
I know!! Its surprising!!
Yeah it is!

SishGupta
July 4th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Home to the best snipers in the world.
Thats the truth!

I don't agree with some of the current uses for the army right now but I never tell someone they are wrong or that they shouldn't. I figure the guy who wants to enlist has already thought it through and thinks it is a good decision. IMHO one should never presume otherwise.

I do say thank you and good luck.

jiminycricket
July 4th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Here's the letter I sent them in case anyone wants to use it:

I am very disappointed with your web site. I cannot access your "apply online" ( https://blrscr3.egs-seg.gc.ca/forces/recruiting-recrutement/public/engraph/welcome_e.aspx ) recruiting form because you arbitrarily block off the GNU/Linux operating system, as well as alternate browsers like Opera and Firefox, which itself has 15% and growing market share on Linux and Windows (and Mac).

With more companies selling GNU/Linux for cheaper than Microsoft Windows, such as DELL, HP, System76, etc., this is an unacceptable policy for a tax-payer funded institution to take, especially if they want to ATTRACT people to serve them.

Web standards at the W3C.org are to ensure that people have choice. Arbitrary browser and OS checking runs completely contrary to that. It is also cheaper as when Microsoft updates Internet Explorer to fix its non-adherence to standards (eg., with tne recently released Internet Explorer 7) you're already ahead of the game with no extra effort or cost, with a great benefit to tax-payers

If you want to check out how your site looks on Windows, please do a Google search for Ubuntu and download a Live cd (You don't have to install it, just restart your computer with the disc in the drive, or try it out in VMWare or Virtualbox or the like). Firefox runs on it, just like Windows, and yet your recruiting form needlessly discriminates against Firefox, Opera, etc. on Linux because of a forced browser check that belongs in 1996. That just makes you lose recruits.

My name is ****** and my email is *****@****.*** in case you need any other info. [may want to put a link to this thread here]

Description of Problem:

While Running Ubuntu (a GNU/Linux distribution) and FIrefox, you get this error message at the "join us" recruiting online page:

"Online Application for the Canadian Armed Forces

checking... Javascript is enabled"

2. While running Opera or FIrefox on Windows (anything other than Internet Explorer), you get this frozen page: "Checking Entrust TruePass™ Browser Compatibility.

(Passed) Operating system

Now testing, please wait..."

forrestcupp
July 5th, 2007, 02:46 PM

If you still haven't gotten Fox TV On Demand working, they got the tutorial up here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=491153&highlight=fox+myspace).

On Topic:
I hope your letter to the Canadian army does good.

matchstich
July 5th, 2007, 03:25 PM
it is not just the canadian army.

caribou coffee won't let you fill out an application using linux.

i tried both firefox and opera. no go.

must have windows and IE for their site to work.

ps: i see nothing wrong with wanting to join a army.

i didn't get a choice, was drafted. saw my number on the evening news.