PDA

View Full Version : Crafty little switch...

Madmoose
July 2nd, 2007, 08:14 PM
Hey,

I'm a sneaky bugger! My mother in law doesn't like change lets say. She thinks that I. E. is the best browser, and nothing EVER goes wrong. No hang ups, slow page loads, and of course no security risks. I. E. is just wonderful.

Well, we all know this isn't true. She has been complaining that her browser freezes, and pages are loading very slow. When she tries to do her homework (She went back to collage at 46, and is about to grad. I say good for her) it's always messes up on her. She has to Ctrl + Alt+ Delete, and close it out. Then sends in her little error report.

Anyway, I've been trying to get her to switch to firefox for ever. I've always been happy with firefox, and I've only had it fail on my like once. Needless to say she just wont let go of the old ways. I've been trying her to switch to linux for a while, but one step at a time.

Last night I had an idea... She doesn't know anything about computers, and I could easily switch if I do a little tweecking. This morning I installed firefox, and set it to the default browser. Then I changed the firefox icon to the I.E., and then I removed all her I. E. shortcuts and replaced them with the fake I. E. firefox shortcuts.

I then searched for a IE them in the firefox theme, and found a ie 7 them.

This morning, she told me how good the new ie was working, and thanks for fixing it.

Mwahahahahaha!

Moose out.

LaRoza
July 2nd, 2007, 08:15 PM
Just wait until she discovers extensions!

Now switch her to Lynx...

Warpnow
July 2nd, 2007, 08:33 PM
Imagine how happy she'd be if she had a good browser, you know, like opera.

*laughs manically at the flame war he's started*

Bartender
July 2nd, 2007, 08:59 PM
Madmoose -
I've never used this expression but you made me do it

:D LOL :D

You are a genius. Give it a few days and you can start showing her some of the IE features she didn't know about, like tabbed browsing. Then show her how to start new tabs and close old ones by clicking down on the mouse wheel. That's handy.

Extensions could be tricky...she might realize something's not right unless you install them when she's not looking.

Next I want to hear how you install Thunderbird, make it her default so that "e-mail" links on web pages will come up in Thunderbird, and keep the Microsoft illusion intact somehow.

moffatt666
July 2nd, 2007, 10:36 PM
I likey!

Tundro Walker
July 2nd, 2007, 10:55 PM
"OMG! The car's got a new coat of paint! No WONDER it drives so much better!"

Hehe...

FuturePilot
July 2nd, 2007, 11:08 PM
You're a sneaky one;)
Wait till she finds out that it's not IE. And she'll be surprised at how good it works.

init1
July 3rd, 2007, 12:16 AM
Hey,

I'm a sneaky bugger! My mother in law doesn't like change lets say. She thinks that I. E. is the best browser, and nothing EVER goes wrong. No hang ups, slow page loads, and of course no security risks. I. E. is just wonderful.

Well, we all know this isn't true. She has been complaining that her browser freezes, and pages are loading very slow. When she tries to do her homework (She went back to collage at 46, and is about to grad. I say good for her) it's always messes up on her. She has to Ctrl + Alt+ Delete, and close it out. Then sends in her little error report.

Anyway, I've been trying to get her to switch to firefox for ever. I've always been happy with firefox, and I've only had it fail on my like once. Needless to say she just wont let go of the old ways. I've been trying her to switch to linux for a while, but one step at a time.

Last night I had an idea... She doesn't know anything about computers, and I could easily switch if I do a little tweecking. This morning I installed firefox, and set it to the default browser. Then I changed the firefox icon to the I.E., and then I removed all her I. E. shortcuts and replaced them with the fake I. E. firefox shortcuts.

I then searched for a IE them in the firefox theme, and found a ie 7 them.

This morning, she told me how good the new ie was working, and thanks for fixing it.

Mwahahahahaha!

Moose out.
Some people are easily fooled. I took a screenshot of the Windows desktop on a computer I was using, and put the image in the root window. The owner didn't even notice that I was using Slax! Maybe I should do that with the entire OS. I think I can get some good winxp themes for gnome or kde.

Madmoose
July 3rd, 2007, 03:08 AM
Imagine how happy she'd be if she had a good browser, you know, like opera.

*laughs manically at the flame war he's started*

I've tried opera. There isn't anything wrong with it, but I like firefox. ;)

Extensions could be tricky...she might realize something's not right unless you install them when she's not looking.

That was easy. I just installed them before I showed her, and then told her they were "New IE tools." :D

Tundro Walker
July 3rd, 2007, 03:44 AM
Only problem is, MS is getting the credit for your rouse. She'll start bragging to all her friends how great IE 7 is, then they go try it and say "I don't know WHAT she's smoking...I can't do ANY of that stuff."

DoctorMO
July 3rd, 2007, 05:46 AM
Yes you will have to tell her in the end. I did it to my dad, very funny since he doesn't really care what it's running so long as it works. shame about the computer being re-installed really.