PDA

View Full Version : Criticize me!

LaRoza
July 2nd, 2007, 06:03 PM
I just made this wiki recently, and want your opinions on it before I develop it further. I would rather fix any usability issues now, rather that later.

http://laroza.pbwiki.com/

Thanks for you help!

-edit It is for people wanting to learn how to program.

init1
July 2nd, 2007, 07:10 PM
I love it so far... nice navigation, nice content,,, keep up the good work. I didn't read much though.

LaRoza
July 2nd, 2007, 07:15 PM
I love it so far... nice navigation, nice content,,, keep up the good work. I didn't read much though.

There isn't much to read yet, but it is growing. Thanks!

For being the first to answer, you win a free Ubuntu disk download it at http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download. :D

forrestcupp
July 2nd, 2007, 07:47 PM
It's nice, but I don't think Java is really a compiled language, is it? That's why you have to have Java Runtime Environment installed to run a Java program.

Other than that, I think it's going to be great.

LaRoza
July 2nd, 2007, 08:00 PM
It's nice, but I don't think Java is really a compiled language, is it? That's why you have to have Java Runtime Environment installed to run a Java program.

Other than that, I think it's going to be great.

Java is compiled and interpreted. It doesn't compile to object code, but to byte code. The byte code is not for the OS, it is for the JVM (Java Virtual Machine), which doesn't exist, per se.

The JRE, is what executes the byte code. So it is compiled, just not for Windows or Linux.

This way, you don't need different compilers for each OS, just a different JVM, (the JRE).

Any Java program will run on any OS as long as the JRE is there.

forrestcupp
July 2nd, 2007, 09:47 PM
I can go along with that. It's like C# and .NET.

It's not quite the same as code that truly gets compiled into machine code, though.

init1
July 2nd, 2007, 11:40 PM

It's not quite the same as code that truly gets compiled into machine code, though.
No, its not.

LaRoza
July 3rd, 2007, 02:07 PM

No, but it requires the "compiling" portion of the development cycle and therefore, to a beginner, the difference between the compilers output is unimportant.

Python can also be compiled into byte code, but it is not required. It can also be compiled into a Windows .exe file.