PDA

View Full Version : Selling my old computer, how should I leave it?

Feba
July 2nd, 2007, 12:15 PM
Well, my new computer should be working (finally) soon enough, and I'm planning on selling it off, but I'm not sure how I should handle the OS situation.

A friend(B) of a friend's(G) boyfriend(A) is considering buying it for 400$ (Probably more than it's worth, but I won't complain), when we were talking about it I thought of a few things that would need to be fixed before it was sold (open PCI slot), G also said that it would need to run windows. When I asked why, exactly, G said that "he wants to be able to run games". When I asked "What sort of games did he want to run?", G replied "Unreal Tournament..."

Obviously, you can guess how that conversation went, but I'm still wondering how I should leave the PC. I'm thinking Install Windows, then install Ubuntu in a dual boot- both for practicality, and because I haven't set up a dual boot before. I figure I could give something like 20GB to each OS (out of an 80GB hard drive), then come over later and just add the unused hard drive space to whichever OS he uses more later.

In addition, what apps do you think I should install on Ubuntu that wouldn't be there by default, for him? I'm thinking Tilda (personal preference) and Nexuiz, maybe Stellarium. Can anyone think of fun games that could help to get him to start up in Linux more often than Windows?

Warpnow
July 2nd, 2007, 12:30 PM
Usu wubi to avoid partitioning the hard drive.

Lord Illidan
July 2nd, 2007, 12:33 PM
UT can be played on Linux..

-=Viper=-
July 2nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
If it was me i would just sell it with windows alone cause this guy may not want ubuntu and want some of his money back or something. To do the safe thing put windows XP alone onto it

ThrobbingBrain66
July 2nd, 2007, 01:07 PM
I have to agree with Viper here. From your story it sounds like 'B' wants Windows. If you sell him the computer and he sees that a bunch of hard drive space is missing because YOU installed an extra OS just because YOU wanted him to try it, he's gonna be irritated for sure...I know I would be. If you do anything, throw an Ubuntu CD in the box and tell him about what it is. That way it's all his choice and you aren't pushing an agenda.

Feba
July 2nd, 2007, 02:00 PM
UT can be played on Linux..That was my point...

From your story it sounds like 'B' wants Windows.I'd like to see where you saw that. It's G that wants Windows on it, not B. B hasn't shown any sign of caring either way.

milton1
July 2nd, 2007, 02:05 PM
If you do anything, throw an Ubuntu CD in the box and tell him about what it is. That way it's all his choice and you aren't pushing an agenda.

I agree completely. Give him no reason to fuss about the installed OS, and every opportunity to thank you later for introducing him to linux.

Detonate
July 2nd, 2007, 02:08 PM
To be perfectly legal, unless the buyer provides a new copy of windows for you to install, it would not be permitted to transfer the machine with your previously installed copy of windows installed in accordance with the MS EULA.

Warpnow
July 2nd, 2007, 02:24 PM
Wubi wubi wubi!!!!

Wubi allows ubuntu to be uninstalled via the windows add/remove programs...nothing more conventient than that...

Johnsie
July 2nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
Give him a dual booter with windows as the default.That way he has a choice. You can make windows the default using a program called start up manager.

notwen
July 2nd, 2007, 02:42 PM
Lol, why not by-pass the two middle men and ask (A) what they want on it being they're paying the cash for it. Seems easy enough to me. =]

dptxp
July 2nd, 2007, 02:46 PM
You need 4 GB for Ubuntu / and 1 GB for SWAP.
If you use Fat32 for Windows and other data partitions, you lose 5 GB to Ubuntu. Ubuntu can use the FAT32 well.

Feba
July 2nd, 2007, 02:51 PM
To be perfectly legal, unless the buyer provides a new copy of windows for you to install, it would not be permitted to transfer the machine with your previously installed copy of windows installed in accordance with the MS EULA.
I thought the MS EULA allowed the license to be transfered once? Although that is a good point.

Lol, why not by-pass the two middle men and ask (A) what they want on it being they're paying the cash for it. Seems easy enough to me. =]
I've tried, but neither one of them seem to be willing to let me meet him for some reason.

ThrobbingBrain66
July 2nd, 2007, 02:59 PM
That was my point...

I'd like to see where you saw that. It's G that wants Windows on it, not B. B hasn't shown any sign of caring either way.

I misread your original post. Whoever is buying it from you probably is familiar with Windows so just install that. Include an Ubuntu LiveCD with the package and let him know all about it. This way he can try it if he's curious but you aren't forcing it on him.

Warpnow
July 2nd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Wubi Wubi Wubi!

Sunforge
July 2nd, 2007, 03:18 PM
Feba - I was puzzled by the XP transfer but you're allowed to transfer XP as long as you give the end user the media and licence etc:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx

13. SOFTWARE TRANSFER. Internal. You may move the Software to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Software from the former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Software may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Software to another end user, provided the initial user retains no copies of the Software. This transfer must include all of the Software (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all the EULA terms.

Before you ask - I don't work for M$ but I can search the web.

As for the rest of the discussion, I'd think leaving the end user with Windows XP and an Ubuntu CD which they can play with if they wish to or put in the bin if they don't.

joker
July 2nd, 2007, 03:19 PM
Unless the guy is very techie or you want to provide long term support for the guy (I am guessing a transitory boyfriend of a friend of a friend is not someone you see often) just save yourself time now plus any future headache and install windows for the guy. It is what he expects, and a dual boot will more than likely never be used. Sure, now he only wants to play UT, but what about next year when he wants to play Halo or some other windows only game? At that point he will be happier with more HD space.

Converting people is a noble cause, but from my experiance you will only successfully convert non-gamers. Even if the guy was a non-gamer, he will need a lot of hand holding to use linux unless he is a geek (no disrespect to geeks).

Warpnow
July 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
Wubi Wubi Wubi!!

If he wants to remove it, then, he can go into add/remove programs and remove it for the 700 mbs back.

yatt
July 3rd, 2007, 02:01 AM
Just leave Linux on it as is. If they want windows, tell them to go out and buy it, and you'll help them install it.

Old Pink
July 3rd, 2007, 02:09 AM
Wubi sucks, face it. A virtual hard drive? You still get fragmented, and all that crap.

I say format it, unless whoever the actual future PC owner is "M" or "Q" or something (your computer is ready, 007) actually paid for an OS on there.

Warpnow
July 3rd, 2007, 02:42 AM
Wubi is awesome.

And its not fragmented. You don't have to dedicate a certain amount of space to each OS. they draw from the same pool, and use the same files, which makes it better.

DoctorMO
July 3rd, 2007, 05:53 AM
I'd keep it with ubuntu on it; your selling hardware, not software; they can go out and buy windows or buy windows from you (since your not using it) increase the price of the machine and really pick out if windows is what they want.

Unlike most people here I don't consider windows a valid choice for any user; I'd rather see people not use a computer all.

Warpnow
July 3rd, 2007, 12:59 PM
That seems stupid ;)