PDA

View Full Version : An open source system can open windows programs and Definitions devices

hello_syria
July 2nd, 2007, 11:11 AM
:biggrin:
Hello to all !!! i dont know if pepole know this system or not
the system name ReactOS the sysytem site www.reactos.org
but the aske can linux open the windows program in some day

t3r0
July 2nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
Linux & others can already (http://www.winehq.org/) run most of the windows programs... :)

GMU_DodgyHodgy
July 2nd, 2007, 04:42 PM
Sooooo - They reversed engineered Windows into a "new" operating system.

Did they bother to reverse engineer the bloat and security holes as well?

Xzallion
July 2nd, 2007, 06:40 PM
Sooooo - They reversed engineered Windows into a "new" operating system.

Did they bother to reverse engineer the bloat and security holes as well?

As much as we all like to make the occasional joke about Windows bloat and security practices, maybe we should give this project a little more credit. They are trying to create an open source, clean room reverse engineered operating system completely compatible with all Microsoft Windows XP programs and drivers. I honestly want them to succeed so I can play my games in a open source OS, and can finally ditch Windows.

init1
July 2nd, 2007, 07:08 PM
:biggrin:
Hello to all !!! i dont know if pepole know this system or not
the system name ReactOS the sysytem site www.reactos.org
but the aske can linux open the windows program in some day
Reactos doesn't work on my computer. Neither the live CD or the installer. I have to use qemu.

GMU_DodgyHodgy
July 2nd, 2007, 09:31 PM
As much as we all like to make the occasional joke about Windows bloat and security practices, maybe we should give this project a little more credit. They are trying to create an open source, clean room reverse engineered operating system completely compatible with all Microsoft Windows XP programs and drivers. I honestly want them to succeed so I can play my games in a open source OS, and can finally ditch Windows.

I did not mean to dump on the overall effort - however, when reverse engineering - I hope they don't recreate some of the architectural pitfalls MS has in their current offerings.

It would be interesting to see if they could help WINE complete their compatibility layer so Windows programs could more reliably run on Linux.

forrestcupp
July 2nd, 2007, 09:53 PM
I did not mean to dump on the overall effort - however, when reverse engineering - I hope they don't recreate some of the architectural pitfalls MS has in their current offerings.

It would be interesting to see if they could help WINE complete their compatibility layer so Windows programs could more reliably run on Linux.

They work closely with wine and I believe they contribute to wine. It is a totally different environment, though, so what they can contribute is limited. Even though they say it's not, wine is kind of like an emulator that runs in a different environment where ReactOS is a complete operating system.

I really don't think ReactOS is anywhere near close enough to be dependable as a usable OS, though.

K3ITHK
July 2nd, 2007, 10:01 PM
In one of the screenshots they have Adobe Photoshop 3.0. lol

Adamant1988
July 2nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
They work closely with wine and I believe they contribute to wine. It is a totally different environment, though, so what they can contribute is limited. Even though they say it's not, wine is kind of like an emulator that runs in a different environment where ReactOS is a complete operating system.

I really don't think ReactOS is anywhere near close enough to be dependable as a usable OS, though.

Do you even know what WINE stands for?

Wine Is Not an Emulator

It's a compatibility layer, which is why running programs through WINE/Crossover/Cedega produces no major performance losses.

Dr. C
July 2nd, 2007, 10:17 PM
It is no different from what GNU set out to do in the mid 80"s. Create a Free operating system compatible with propriety Unix, and it will end up being a better Windows than Windows just like Gnu / Linux has become a better Unix than Unix. It will take some time ReactOS is still in alpha.

forrestcupp
July 2nd, 2007, 10:26 PM
Do you even know what WINE stands for?

Wine Is Not an Emulator

It's a compatibility layer, which is why running programs through WINE/Crossover/Cedega produces no major performance losses.

Yes, that's why I said "they say it's not an emulator." To me it's pretty much the same thing. It's just a technical way of making it appear that they are better than an emulator. If you think there's no performance loss, you're not very perceptive. I notice visible performance loss on fairly simple apps.

Gnu's not Unix, WINE is not an emulator, LAME is not mp3, who cares?

M$LOL
July 2nd, 2007, 10:27 PM
ReactOS is nowhere near ready to be used...

Adamant1988
July 2nd, 2007, 10:42 PM
Yes, that's why I said "they say it's not an emulator." To me it's pretty much the same thing. It's just a technical way of making it appear that they are better than an emulator. If you think there's no performance loss, you're not very perceptive. I notice visible performance loss on fairly simple apps.

I was able to run photoshop 7 in WINE with no major performance losses, but then again I have a fairly powerful computer...

Caedis
July 3rd, 2007, 07:42 PM

I agree to some degree. Don't Get me wrong, I LOVE WINE, but if your computer is not as powerful as it should, you certainly cant run very powerful apps without significant performance loss.

Case in point, I CAN run my copy of Photoshop CS2 on my laptop, very quickly in fact... BUT thats only under windows, when I boot into Linux and run CS2 under WINE, it takes 5 minutes to load, and once it loads I can use every file type except Photoshop format files.

So to say that WINE has no appreciable performance loss is a gross exaggeration if not bordering on a tall tale.