PDA

View Full Version : Intel® Wireless 4965AGN

heartsbane
July 2nd, 2007, 05:04 AM
I recently had a friend of mine call me this weekend to help him install Ubuntu on his Dell Inspiron 6400/e1505. Everything runs great but the Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection adapter. From what I have read at: http://intellinuxwireless.org/

Before I can use the iwlwifi projects drivers, I must build the mac80211 module.

$ wget \
http://intellinuxwireless.org/mac80211/downloads/mac80211-8.0.1.tgz
% tar xvf mac80211-8.0.1.tgz
mac80211-8.0.1/origin/GIT
mac80211-8.0.1/origin/net/mac80211/Makefile
$ cd mac80211-8.0.1
$ make
Building modified version in 'modified/' directory:
Copying modified/ from origin/...done
Applying patches and scripts from pending/.
+ Applying: pending/14-d46...0bb780bba2b5db.patch
% make patch_kernel <-- You need to be root for this
Patching from compatible/ to /lib/modules/2.6.18-gentoo-r6/build/:
+ Replaced 43 files.

But here is where I encounter the problem, because you need to 'make menuconfig' to configure the kernel to include d82011. This is where Ubuntu is giving me a little bit of trouble, because I never had the need to use 'make menuconfig' under Ubuntu.

I can only assume that is why the drivers listed on the download page (http://intellinuxwireless.org/index.php?n=Downloads) are for Debian, Gentoo, Red Hat, Arch linux, etc. because they will all you recompile and make changes to the kernel.

Please advise, because I think this could be a good learning experience.

TeeJR
July 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
It's nice to see someone else with the same hardware as me running Ubuntu.

I am glad you posted that link since I need the drivers. I am currently just using ndiswrapper with the windows drivers for the 4965AGN. They seem to work pretty decent as long as all I do is browse the web. I only have trouble when I try to play video or download stuff. Doing either of those two things seems to kill the wireless driver and then I just have to use modprobe to remove/reload the ndiswrapper. That will bring it back. I hate doing that.

I will look at the link you posted and see if I can get my 4965AGN working with real drivers. I don't know much about building kernels just yet. I'm admittedly a noob, but I'm persistent and frustrated with Vista enough to, more likely than not, getting all my laptop's devices working with Linux.

If I do figure it out or you figure it out, please, let's post the details here. I have been working on getting everything on my laptop working for a week and I would like to help others get their stuff working. I have been keeping a list of what I have done to get things working on my Toshiba P205-S6267. Once I have a complete list I'll post the details. But I work in a very structured, systematic, way so you won't get a try this, try that, type of solution. You'll get the solution that worked for me.

heartsbane
July 2nd, 2007, 11:33 PM
Yes but were you getting the 1000N speed because we were not?

TeeJR
July 2nd, 2007, 11:42 PM
I don't know what 1000N means so I can't answer that. All I know is that I am using that wireless adapter right now and it's working great. I just don't dare download stuff until I get things figured out.

Could you please explain your question and maybe it will make more sense to me.

Thanks

heartsbane
July 4th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Sorry It had been a long day when I posted that.

I was curious if you had done any speed tests... what are your connect speeds? Are you able to connect at 300 Mbps Draft-N data rates? Because the fastest we were able to connect was 54Mbps. Sorry I can understand how that made little to no sense.

TeeJR
July 4th, 2007, 01:07 AM
I am connected at 54Mbps. That is the fastest I have ever been able to connect for wireless. Probably a limitation of my AP.

I am currently in the process of following some directions for installing iwlwifi. There is a good link with some instructions at: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=159550

This is a thread on how to build everything in. I haven't tried it, but I am going to if I have time tonight. The guy is very helpful and has posted on this forum under: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=396204&page=5

His name is ciphermonk. I would read through his stuff. He seems to be very experienced at building kernels and stuff. I'm not sure what you level of expertise is, but mine is noob. I'm surprised I got ndiswrapper working well.

Good Luck,

ehmdjii
July 8th, 2007, 11:37 AM
has anyone had any success with the new releases at intellinuxwireless.org ?

i also have the problem when doing make menuconfig that ubuntu doesnt allow me to modify stuff

:/lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/build$ sudo make menuconfig HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.o
In file included from scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:24:
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:32:20: error: curses.h: No such file or directory
In file included from scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:24:
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:97: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘chtype’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:187: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:193: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:195: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:196: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:197: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:198: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:200: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:31: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:59: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:95: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c: In function ‘dialog_checklist’:
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:116: error: ‘WINDOW’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:116: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:116: error: for each function it appears in.)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:116: error: ‘dialog’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:116: error: ‘list’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:116: warning: left-hand operand of comma expression has no effect
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:129: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘getmaxy’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:129: error: ‘stdscr’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:130: error: ‘KEY_MAX’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:131: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘getmaxx’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:137: error: ‘COLS’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:138: error: ‘LINES’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:140: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘draw_shadow’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:142: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘newwin’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:143: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘keypad’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:143: error: ‘TRUE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:145: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘draw_box’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:146: error: ‘struct dialog_color’ has no member named ‘atr’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:146: error: ‘struct dialog_color’ has no member named ‘atr’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:147: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘wattrset’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:147: error: ‘struct dialog_color’ has no member named ‘atr’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:148: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘mvwaddch’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:150: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘waddch’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:151: error: ‘struct dialog_color’ has no member named ‘atr’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:154: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘print_title’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:156: error: ‘struct dialog_color’ has no member named ‘atr’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:157: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘print_autowrap’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:164: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘subwin’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:171: error: ‘struct dialog_color’ has no member named ‘atr’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:171: error: ‘struct dialog_color’ has no member named ‘atr’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:189: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘print_item’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:192: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘print_arrows’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:195: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘print_buttons’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:197: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘wnoutrefresh’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:199: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘doupdate’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:202: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘wgetch’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:210: error: ‘KEY_UP’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:210: error: ‘KEY_DOWN’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:220: error: ‘FALSE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:221: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘scrollok’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:222: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘wscrl’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:232: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘wrefresh’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:293: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘delwin’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:297: error: ‘KEY_LEFT’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:298: error: ‘KEY_RIGHT’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:310: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘on_key_esc’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:312: error: ‘KEY_RESIZE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.o] Error 1
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

monkey89
July 9th, 2007, 04:24 PM
has anyone had any success with the new releases at intellinuxwireless.org ?

i also have the problem when doing make menuconfig that ubuntu doesnt allow me to modify stuff

scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:32:20: error: curses.h: No such file or directory

Install libncurses5-dev.

ehmdjii
July 15th, 2007, 11:16 PM
thanks, now i have ncurses installed and get this error:

Kernel Makefile not found at '/lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/source/'
If patch or script failed, check pre/ and post/ for current stage.
make: *** [compatible/modified] Error 1

although i have kernel-sources and linux-headers installed

tamasrepus
July 24th, 2007, 02:11 AM
thanks, now i have ncurses installed and get this error:

Kernel Makefile not found at '/lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/source/'
If patch or script failed, check pre/ and post/ for current stage.
make: *** [compatible/modified] Error 1

although i have kernel-sources and linux-headers installed

You forgot to make a symlink:

ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r) /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/source

csgrad
September 11th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Ive made it through the steps you guys have mentioned above, and everything has been going good but now im stuck here:

sudo make SHELL=/bin/bash modules modules_install
CHK include/linux/version.h
CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
CC scripts/mod/empty.o
MKELF scripts/mod/elfconfig.h
HOSTCC scripts/mod/file2alias.o
HOSTCC scripts/mod/modpost.o
HOSTCC scripts/mod/sumversion.o
HOSTLD scripts/mod/modpost
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `init/main.o', needed by `init/built-in.o'. Stop.
make: *** [init] Error 2

dgtldaydrmr
September 12th, 2007, 10:47 PM
I'm stuck here as well...
:(

evilpeno
September 19th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Stumbled across this info on making the 4965AGN work.

http://www.linlap.com/wiki/Configuring+the+iwl4965+driver+for+the+Intel+4965A GN+wireless+controller

rGoodie
September 24th, 2007, 06:17 AM
For those having problems with the makefile I found an alternate method that worked for me

First add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list file

access the file with

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

add this to the end of the sources.list file

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted universe multiverse

now just run your update manager system->administration->update manager reboot and you should be good to go

this is a modified version of what i found at
http://www.linlap.com/wiki/Configuring+the+iwl4965+driver+for+the+Intel+4965A GN+wireless+controller

cheers
Goodie

nagrover
September 27th, 2007, 03:36 AM
For those having problems with the makefile I found an alternate method that worked for me

First add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list file

access the file with

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

add this to the end of the sources.list file

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted universe multiverse

now just run your update manager system->administration->update manager reboot and you should be good to go

this is a modified version of what i found at

cheers
Goodie

No dice here. When I do an update after adding to sources.list I get:

Get:12 http://archive.ubuntu.com gutsy/universe Packages [4044kB]
Get:13 http://archive.ubuntu.com gutsy/multiverse Packages [159kB]
Fetched 5356kB in 28s (189kB/s)
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occurred while processing xlog (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_gutsy_universe_bin ary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

nagrover
September 27th, 2007, 03:54 AM
A ha, found the solution if anybody runs into what I got above. Just do this for an update after changing sources.list:

sudo apt-get update -o APT::Cache-Limit=25165824