PDA

View Full Version : An Australian Linux release?

mcginnnc
July 2nd, 2007, 02:37 AM
G'day all,

Sorry, I don't think one exists yet, but I have a wonderful idea for one of the you-beaut Linux programmers from Sydney, Brissie or Melbourne, etc, who might have the time, to whack together an Aussie Linux O/S!

I even thought of a name ...
LinOz.

If Ubuntu has that funny circle, the Australian system could use a boomerang. I can see it now - the start bar at the bottom left has this boomerang with a sleek looking 'LinOz' in a bright bold white font - just to the right of the boomerang.

The logo themes could be an outback browny colour to represent our dreamtime, earthy, inland colours. Or we could go with a bluey theme - as in 'Bluey', or true-blue. Or Green and Gold - remember the Sydney Olympics?

Desktop images could include Uluru, the Olgas, Harbour Bridge, Sydney Opera House, Sturt's Desert Pea, droving scenes, good action shot from Newcastle Footy team scoring a try (sorry all you other lot - just put in there who you want then), the Australian Alps and a 'Man From Snowy River' scenery idea, Nullabor Plain, beaches, etc, etc.

Software could include an accountancy software which, of course, would be GST friendly, Peter Costello style.

Software sounds could include all kinds of earthy, bushy, sounds such as a kookaburra laughing when there was a program error (kidding) - but I do like electronic sounds - I'm sure they could be adapted (imagine an electronic didge, hey).

Anyhow - ill leave it at that for now. I hope that some bod (or many folks) can pick up with this and come up with a good, Australian, version. I think there is a need for it. It would certainly, I feel, go like hotcakes (or like a boarding house pudding!). Maybe even for a small fee? (say $20) $5 could go towards admin, etc, and $15 could go towards drought relief for our farmers. Locals will know what I am talking about (still getting over the 'Spirit-of-the-Bush' Lee Kernaghan concert held at Grenfell recently)

Be good. Hope you all don't do anything I wouldn't do.

Cheers and God bless,

Neil, Orange, NSW, Australia.

pmasiar
July 2nd, 2007, 05:24 AM
Looks like most of what you want can be covered by desktop themes and/or images - no need to go for hassle of full separate distribution. Is your problem that you cannot find free background images for Ubuntu?

AU-specific acconting, if it exist (I have no idea) can be installed by apt-get or synaptic.

Ubuntu covers it all, and is free, - if you feel you can send all $20 to farmers relief fund directly. :-)

lisati
July 2nd, 2007, 05:31 AM
Hello from across the ditch. No nervous sheep in sight...... never mind........