PDA

View Full Version : Can we get a JUST F*CKING GOOGLE IT banner?

CocoAUS
July 2nd, 2007, 02:30 AM
Anyone else a little sick of people not Googling anything? It seems like 90% of the questions--especially in the general help section--would be instantly answered with a simple Google-fu session. Resolution is low? Try "ubuntu resolution". Wireless won't work? Try "ubuntu wireless". Want to install KDE? Try "ubuntu kde install".

I realize we'll never actually get a banner put up, but there needs to be something done to remedy the state of the forums right now. It's not bad to ask questions if you need help or don't understand something simple, but it would be better for everyone if posters would ask Google first.

Motoxrdude
July 2nd, 2007, 02:31 AM
Maybe that or a "before you post a question, try google" thread to be stickied in each section.

Praill
July 2nd, 2007, 02:37 AM
I dunno.. answering questions is what these forums are for and they are staffed almost entirely by volunteers. That makes it simple... if you dont want to answer a question... then don't. It's your choice.
I think people should be encouraged to ask whatever they want and not be ridiculed by the LOL GOOGLE IT NOOB fanboys.

The forums are here to help and I think the attitude should be to encourage even the most seemingly obvious questions. That will not only make a new user more comfortable with the OS but it will make a formerly newer user more eager to repay the kindness and support they once received.

Papi-KB7VGW
July 2nd, 2007, 02:39 AM
The sticky probably wouldn't work either because most noob don't read the stickies that are already there. And to top it off, they get upset if you ask them if they did a search. No common sense these days just I want some else to do it for me... :(

starcraft.man
July 2nd, 2007, 02:41 AM
I dunno.. answering questions is what these forums are for and they are staffed almost entirely by volunteers. That makes it simple... if you dont want to answer a question... then don't. It's your choice.
I think people should be encouraged to ask whatever they want and not be ridiculed by the LOL GOOGLE IT NOOB fanboys.

The forums are here to help and I think the attitude should be to encourage even the most seemingly obvious questions. That will not only make a new user more comfortable with the OS but it will make a formerly newer user more eager to repay the kindness and support they once received.

Ditto. If you don't like it, don't look in the threads. I don't mind answering questions I've answered before, I also volunteer. I don't believe in the RTFM response. This is a forum btw, not a guide with answer like Ubuntu forums, its meant to be interactive.

Oh and cursing in a title is real mature....

reacocard
July 2nd, 2007, 02:42 AM
I think perhaps a better solution would be to have experienced users link newbies to existing threads, perhaps mentioning search while doing so. That will give them their answer AND encourage them to look before they post at the same time. It will also help pool all information on a topic into fewer threads, which is a very good thing.

xtacocorex
July 2nd, 2007, 02:43 AM
I share the same sympathies, but I'd prefer if people would search the forum first before posting. No one in this day and age seems to be know how.

forrestcupp
July 2nd, 2007, 02:44 AM
There's one in every crowd.

kerry_s
July 2nd, 2007, 02:45 AM
I just think the search bar at the top where it say's "Go" next to it needs to use google search, the forum search is to limiting it doesn't go back far enough and only shows recent entry's. just need to change the underlying code to>

http://www.google.com/search?btnG=Google+Search&q=

FuturePilot
July 2nd, 2007, 02:46 AM
Ditto. If you don't like it, don't look in the threads. I don't mind answering questions I've answered before, I also volunteer. I don't believe in the RTFM response. This is a forum btw, not a guide with answer like Ubuntu forums, its meant to be interactive.

Same here. I really don't mind answering questions I've already answered before. It's a forum. It's where you go for answers. That's what it's designed for.

hellomeow
July 2nd, 2007, 02:47 AM
If the Ubuntu community is not willing to help another user who does not wish to read documentation or perform a Google search for the answer, then Ubuntu has probably lost a user. It is really that simple.

CocoAUS
July 2nd, 2007, 02:47 AM

1) It's not a RTFM response.

2) Just f*cking Google it isn't cussing. Beyond that, it's a common phrase.

I don't have a problem with people asking questions about (as I said) even simple things. What I have a problem with is the forum getting flooded with thousands of these questions that could be answered with just a quick Google search. THAT'S damaging the community. Also, you might note that I did not complain that I myself have to answer all these questions. My complaint was that it's bad for the forums. People in most other communities complain about how on ubuntuforums.org, your question is off the front page in a matter of minutes, and every question is the same easy-Google-answer question. The Ubuntu community is infamous for this.

hellomeow
July 2nd, 2007, 02:50 AM
My complaint was that it's bad for the forums.

Then it is responsibility of forum to rectify this, and the responsibility of the Ubuntu community to absorb the damage of any lost users in the process.

CocoAUS
July 2nd, 2007, 02:50 AM
I think the search button would be a good idea. Put a BIG search box at the top of every forum page. Underneath it, put to radials; one for ubuntuforums.org, one for Google. That would help solve the problems of both people not Googling things and people asking repeat questions.

I tend to include Google searches to my responses to people, but it doesn't seem to be making any difference. I'll say, "What you do is.... Also, I Googled "your problem here" and it returned "insert page link here".

KiwiNZ
July 2nd, 2007, 02:55 AM
If you want the staff to look at things word your requests politely and with a greater level of maturity.

Matter closed