PDA

View Full Version : Google add official repositories for Linux

Kosimo
July 1st, 2007, 04:56 PM
To easy install or update any google app.

http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/index.html

;)

earobinson
July 1st, 2007, 05:00 PM
please not that googles programs aren not open source!

Also this is not a support request, I have requested to have it moved.

Kosimo
July 1st, 2007, 05:02 PM
please not that googles programs aren not open source!

Also this is not a support request, I have requested to have it moved.

Yes I know...
But I use google earth... At the moment I don't have any valid open source program. When I'll have, I'll move for sure.

mikewhatever
July 1st, 2007, 05:02 PM
To easy install or update any google app.

http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/index.html

;)

Ok, but it does not say what's there. What does google has to offer then?

earobinson
July 1st, 2007, 05:03 PM
I think google has great products, and I use google earth also, its just important to note that they are not open source

I also have the google desktop installed right now

Kosimo
July 1st, 2007, 05:09 PM
Well guys...
I just wanted to announce this official google repositorie. Nothing else.
I think that it's important to see how, big business are taking in consideration Linux. Even if they don't offer any open source program. For example, Ahed, (with Nerolinux 3.0) Skype, Google, Zattoo.... (All with .deb releases by the way)

So, when somebody from Win uses these programs, (close source) and want to move to linux (or ubuntu) if we can offer the same software they're using right now... It have to be something good don't you think? Then, open source apps are always there.

Sorry for my English guys... I try my best.

Kosimo
July 1st, 2007, 05:10 PM
I think google has great products, and I use google earth also, its just important to note that they are not open source

I also have the google desktop installed right now

I'm using google earth and google desktop as well ;)

mendingo84
July 1st, 2007, 05:19 PM
yeah, but since it's NOT open source it shall not be in the repos ;). Safety reasons! it's better to let Google provide a .deb file (like Skype does) because that way you skip the perspective of a trip to the court ;).

bodhi.zazen
July 1st, 2007, 05:24 PM
I think that is cool. Google is not open source, BUT keep in mind the do at least support Linux so lets help Google migrate to open source.

Bodhi hides "Customize Google" plug in.

bash
July 1st, 2007, 05:36 PM
As people keep mentioning here that Google software is closed source, it got me curious: Does something like an open-source Google Maps/Earth exist?

olejorgen
July 1st, 2007, 05:42 PM
worldwind, but last time I checked it was written in C# for windows (.net)

UbuntuniX
July 1st, 2007, 05:49 PM
About time. :p

steveneddy
July 1st, 2007, 05:53 PM
Google Earth is available i n the repos by enabling the medibuntu repos.

Look here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu).

hanzomon4
July 1st, 2007, 07:17 PM
yeah, but since it's NOT open source it shall not be in the repos ;). Safety reasons! it's better to let Google provide a .deb file (like Skype does) because that way you skip the perspective of a trip to the court ;).

Google can setup 3rd party repos just like anyone else, besides ubuntu does have a commercial repo with things like opera in it. I like opensource but really I don't care that google makes closed source tech. They actually release software for linux and provide a repo and we complain? Google apps being closed source is not going to take our freedom away, they just have some really good apps that some people choose to use.

SunnyRabbiera
July 1st, 2007, 07:32 PM
Yeh I think this is good, Google is showing initiative
I dont care if its open source or not, at least they are supporting us in the first place

olejorgen
July 1st, 2007, 08:34 PM
worldwind, but last time I checked it was written in C# for windows (.net)
Actually, it seems like they've ported it (partly) to java.
http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/java/index.html