PDA

View Full Version : Store variables in a Dynamic Data Structure?

squirrelix
July 1st, 2007, 04:33 AM
Hey kids,
I am writing a program, and I keep adding variables. For each variable, I need to add it to a help menu, as well as the code to change the value.
Then I wondered. Is there a way to store your program variables (global ones) in a data structure that you could iterate over. I looked at a hash table, (Using Java at the moment), but the code to tweak the variable is ugly. (Get the object from the table, cast to a float, add a value to it, stuff it back in the table).
This is really a "has anyone else wondered about this" kind of question. I understand that in certain languages, you can have variable name variable names (no, not a typo :P). Can anyone verify that?

Thanks, and just curious.
-- Squirrel

Dancingwllamas
July 1st, 2007, 05:58 AM
If I understand what you are trying to do, you probably want to use an array or a linked list. An array will be very easy to iterate over (and very fast). Linked Lists will be trivial to expand as you add new items. I would recommend looking at arrays (http://java.about.com/od/beginningjava/l/aa_array.htm) first - they are generally easier for people to understand.

Feel free to ask if you need any more specifics.

brooksbp
July 1st, 2007, 10:47 PM
Then I wondered. Is there a way to store your program variables (global ones) in a data structure that you could iterate over.

If that's your main question... Absolutely. There actually is a dedicated CS course at most universitys on this subject: Data Structures. Google it.