PDA

View Full Version : fun with Vista

greenwom
July 1st, 2007, 03:16 AM
I just purchased a new HP 9000 laptop with vista premium.
I still have Vista on it for two reasons.... I have to take the laptop back to the store to purchase an extended warranty (Ubuntu will void the inspection) and I'm working on burning the recovery discs in case I ever sell the the laptop.

So while I'm waiting to dump Vista I ironically noticed that creating the HP recovery images and downloading Ubuntu takes the same time.

The funny thing is that it will take like 7 times longer to burn the multiple windows CDs and only minutes to burn the one Ubuntu image...

DoctorMO
July 1st, 2007, 04:45 AM
I feel your pain strongsad

Tundro Walker
July 1st, 2007, 07:07 AM
:o

How many freakin' CD's does Vista take?

frazelle09
July 1st, 2007, 07:09 AM
The more you pay, the more you get???? :D

Have a great evening! :)

Spano
July 1st, 2007, 01:24 PM
I downloaded a pre-release and it was about 3 gigs.

FoolsGold_MKII
July 1st, 2007, 01:48 PM
:o

One DVD. There are no CD editions as far as I know, which is fair enough.

greenwom
July 1st, 2007, 06:22 PM
the recovery manger gives you an option..

1 dual layer DVD.
2 DVDs
or 10 CDs......

When I was doing my research for this purchase I looked into this recovery thing and the only thing I read was that it took 10 cds. Since I was given the option it took 2 DVDs (still more than twice as long as Ubuntu.)

stlouis1
October 1st, 2007, 07:31 AM
thats HP's recovery images though, not just vista, i think vista itself from MS was 6 cd's. if you bought vista and didn't have a DVD drive, you could give customer central teh part number and then can send out the CD's and just charge you the shipping fee of 10$ or so. i worked for vista support, so u know. i think it was 6 cd's, i could be a little off there

but how does installing ubuntu void the warranty exactly?

edit// nvm, you can discard my above post, i forgot i've been searching through old threads for something here when i posted