PDA

View Full Version : Macubuntu logo design...

thecommodore
June 30th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Hey,

I made this in Inkscape cause I'm running Ubuntu on an Apple iMac.

What do you think?

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6472/macubuntuoh1.png

~thecommodore

Kingsley
June 30th, 2007, 11:42 PM
The design looks nice. I kind of chuckled though because the circle and curves are supposed to represent humans. The human that forms the apple bite looks like it has scoliosis. And the guy at the bottom looks like it has a broken arm. But seriously, the logo looks very professional. Nice work.

samschoice
June 30th, 2007, 11:46 PM
wow, you made that in inkscape? I'm impressed. are you going to make the source file freely available ?

ynnhoj
June 30th, 2007, 11:47 PM
that's cute. well done!

thecommodore
July 1st, 2007, 12:11 AM
I could post the .svg

Would anyone like it?

sloggerkhan
July 1st, 2007, 12:19 AM
I would, I am curious about how it was done. I like using inkscape but am not very fluent with it.

SoloSalsa
July 1st, 2007, 12:21 AM
Very, very nice. Not sure if I want it myself, maybe in the future, though.
But, you know what you should do? You should definitely put the SVG on the Open Clip Art Library (http://openclipart.org/).

louistan3
July 1st, 2007, 12:25 AM
wow.. good job man.. i like it! lol

can i save it?

reacocard
July 1st, 2007, 12:40 AM
Very nice! One quick suggestion: remove the green leaf from above, then the apple logo is the negative space inside the Ubuntu logo (the positive space). That will look a bit more interesting, IMO. (You may have to futz with the arms around the leaf-gap to get it looking right.) Also, maybe adjust the red guy's arm length, it's WAY longer than any of the others. EDIT: Just noticed, the ubuntu logo is stretched a bit horizontally, you might want to fix that.

Still looks really good as-is though, keep up the good work!

SoulinEther
July 1st, 2007, 12:53 AM
Uhm, isn't the Apple logo copyrighted? I was reading the copyright information about Ubuntu... something about don't make things look like they have some sort of relationship..

Ah whatever, you're not going to get commercial benefits from this, so it should be ok.

DoctorMO
July 1st, 2007, 01:02 AM
Apple Inc could claim trademark association and sue you into next week (then again so could Canonical)

spockrock
July 1st, 2007, 01:35 AM
yes plx to the svg.

stmiller
July 1st, 2007, 01:39 AM
Apple Inc could claim trademark association and sue you into next week (then again so could Canonical)

No one would sue him. He is not using this for profit, or claiming it is his original idea.

samschoice
July 1st, 2007, 02:15 AM
i'll take the svg too.

thecommodore
July 1st, 2007, 06:32 AM
Lol, no I am not going to make any money from this at all...

Here y'all go....

I love the style of Inkscape.

Oh, and btw, I know that the red person is longer than the rest of them, but I had to do it that way because I wanted to use the Apple leaf of the inverted Apple as one of the dividers. So the orange guy would inevitably be smaller.

spockrock
July 1st, 2007, 08:41 AM
thanks

slimdog360
July 1st, 2007, 11:30 AM
looks good, I like it

Polygon
July 1st, 2007, 11:55 AM
it looks really cool!

andrek
July 1st, 2007, 12:13 PM
Looks really GREAT ! Good job.

stuh84
July 1st, 2007, 12:14 PM
As a fellow Ubuntu/OS X user, I love it, it is really really beautiful.

I think I'll have to use it as my avatar on Ubuntu :)

thecommodore
July 1st, 2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks a ton guys!!

It's great to have work appreciated. :D

Adamant1988
July 1st, 2007, 03:17 PM
Hey,

I made this in Inkscape cause I'm running Ubuntu on an Apple iMac.

What do you think?

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6472/macubuntuoh1.png

~thecommodore

I'm very impressed with that. Well done :) The only problem I see is that you have two 'leaves' in the logo.

cookieforyou
July 1st, 2007, 03:42 PM
Looks great. Well done!

Afoot
July 1st, 2007, 03:47 PM
Brilliant work there mate. I must admit though that I also find the deformations kinda funny, since they are supposed to represent human beings. Anyway I think it's a sweet-looking logo and maybe someone (yes, you know who you are) could replace the regular ubuntu logo in the splash screen etc for Mac users. ;)

thecommodore
July 1st, 2007, 03:55 PM
I'm very impressed with that. Well done :) The only problem I see is that you have two 'leaves' in the logo.

There are supposed to be two leaves cause there are two apples. ;) Not just a thick border of one apple.

Adamant1988
July 1st, 2007, 03:59 PM
There are supposed to be two leaves cause there are two apples. ;) Not just a thick border of one apple.

Oh wow, I just noticed that. /facepalm.

My bad, good work :D

DoctorMO
July 1st, 2007, 05:07 PM
Sorry if I was a downer, it is a good logo and inkscape totally rocks. I know because I've done some coding for them in the past. go ACSpike, ScislaC, bryce, ishmal and everyone else :-)

thecommodore
July 1st, 2007, 09:20 PM
I really enjoy graphics design, and I've always been a Photoshop user, but when I switched to Mac OS X (from Win XP), I didn't want to order CS2 again because I had a windows version, and they're really expensive.

So, I recently ordered CS3 for my Mac, and I am really comfortable with Photoshop. But, I downloaded Inkscape for my mac, cause it was free, messed around and found it pretty intimidating at first.

But recently I decided, "Look, it can't be too hard" so I forced myself to sit down for a couple hours and get fluent with Inkscape, and now, it's really fun to use. And with some things I prefer it too Photoshop.

For example, to design a logo, I would choose Inkscape, but photo editing, it must be Photoshop.

(Btw, I'm 16)

And, DoctorMO, don't worry about it. I figured you were just kidding around. :D And that's really cool about working on Inkscape. I want to start programming, (which is why I got Ubuntu for my Mac)

djchandler
April 21st, 2008, 10:50 PM
Good idea, learning about programming with open source. Hope there's more your age with the interest. And thanks for posting the logo. Now I'm inspired to break the Adobe chains. Hard to do when you have worked in the publishing and printing businesses, especially at my age. DJ