PDA

View Full Version : A silly thought but I would still be interested in an answer...

PartisanEntity
June 30th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I was watching Apocalypto today. During the film, when it started to rain, and the wife of the main protagonist was still trapped in the hole in the ground which began to fill with water, a thought occurred to me:

Is it possible for a human being to float their way up as the/a hole fills with more and more water? Using the natural buoyancy of the human body? Perhaps helping along by holding on to protruding rocks and objects to keep oneself above water?

Yes, a very sill thought, but I would be interested to know if there is a scientific answer to it.

:)

smo0th
June 30th, 2007, 11:46 PM
LOL!!

such an off-topic philosophical question deserves to be answered.

I don't know much about how pregnancy affects a water-floating human body but with a minimum effort and rock aided it's quite easy to climb up the hole as you swim/soft-climb the rocks.

btw there's a method to give birth where they pop out the baby underwater, for a baby it's natural to swim, we old people just forgot about it :p

Ocxic
July 1st, 2007, 01:07 AM
i blelieve it is possible to float up, I was taught to float on my back in swimming lessons, as a kid...
I also argree it would be fairly easy to climb up that wall as the water fills up...

however the added wieght of her children would push her under, i believe

starcraft.man
July 1st, 2007, 01:27 AM
Answer depends on a lot of things. Human bodies certainly can float, even if the persons pregnant I believe its still possible to float naturally, they have prenatal swimming classes to release tension for instance.

The thing I'd be worried about is hypothermia. While the body can float, water surrounding the typical exposed body pulls heat fast. Several factors would influence that, how fast the waterline was rising (tied to how much rain), how deep the pit/cave was to top, how cold and damp the ambiance was in the cave (if its deep underground it'd naturally be colder than forest up top) and how long she'd hold out given the temp of the water. Hypothermia is pretty common, people don't realize it doesn't take that much.

prizrak
July 1st, 2007, 03:12 AM
It's possible to float, well to tread water to stay up enough to not drown rather. Fresh water is less dense than seawater is so it requires effort to stay on top. If it fills up quickly then it's possible if it's too slow then you will get tired way before it fills all the way up.

RAV TUX
July 1st, 2007, 03:23 AM
I was watching Apocalypto today. During the film, when it started to rain, and the wife of the main protagonist was still trapped in the hole in the ground which began to fill with water, a thought occurred to me:

Is it possible for a human being to float their way up as the/a hole fills with more and more water? Using the natural buoyancy of the human body? Perhaps helping along by holding on to protruding rocks and objects to keep oneself above water?

Yes, a very sill thought, but I would be interested to know if there is a scientific answer to it.

yes, if you hold yourself in the right position this can be done without treading water. Also if you are wearing clothes you can use your pants, shirt or even a hat to create a buoy to keep you a float. An old trick I learned while in the Navy.

argie
July 1st, 2007, 08:45 AM
When I was a kid, and hadn't yet learned to swim properly, I used to play around a bit in the pool. One of the things I did was curl up into a ball. When I did that, I'd rise to the top and my back would pop up out of the water. It was pretty cool. So then you lift your head, breathe and curl up again. Crazy stuff.

steveneddy
July 1st, 2007, 05:30 PM
Crazy stuff.

My sentiments exactly.

sanderella
July 1st, 2007, 05:37 PM

Yes, this is one of the the techniques that submariners use to escape from sinking vessels. There is a training establishment in Portsmouth, UK. I'll see if I can find a link.

sanderella
July 1st, 2007, 05:38 PM
OK, its http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.3097
:popcorn:

azkehmm
July 1st, 2007, 06:13 PM
I think I'd just use the water as a climbing assistant, and hold on to ourcroppings and stuff on the walls. Of course, if the hole is big enough, one could also just lay flat on the back and take a nap while it fills up :)

argie
July 2nd, 2007, 12:30 PM
My sentiments exactly.

Hey, well, we were kids. Kids do stuff like that :D

smo0th
July 3rd, 2007, 06:17 AM
to float.. or not to float..

:-k

also, if i drink too much beer and get a huge belly, would it count as if i'm pregnant if i manage to float :confused: