PDA

View Full Version : community chat looks like it will cease soon . . .

Patrick-Ruff
June 30th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I'm not liking what is being done to this forum. the community chat external site is being directly linked, this is obvious that this community chat section of this forum will eventually be disbanded.

I'm seriously not digging what you guys are doing here.

heathen
June 30th, 2007, 08:22 PM
guess it's a good thing you arent in charge then...
-or-
If you dont like it, start your own board.

There are reasons for the social-discussions board. Some of which are not available to us. The higher ups here decided this is what they wanted.
Personally, I like having a board outside of the ubuntu namespace.

*besides* no one has said that the community chat is closing....

Ireclan
June 30th, 2007, 08:28 PM
As the user above me has just pointed out, no one has said that the Cafe is closing. Now, I can see where you MIGHT get the assumption that the Cafe will eventually be phased out, since Social Discussion and Community Cafe sort of cover the same forum niche, but to voice this assumption as something that's "obvious" is a bit silly, don't you think? There have been no indications that the Cafe will be phased out. Just because the Social Discussion is now directly linked in the forums, this does not mean that it and the Cafe cannot co-exist.

SoulinEther
June 30th, 2007, 08:43 PM
We often talk about Ubuntu related things in the cafe. It would be very daft (my word of the week thanks to that one poster flaming another guy) of Canonical to eliminate the cafe.

FuturePilot
June 30th, 2007, 08:57 PM
From what I've heard, there is no plans to close the Cafe`
But where is this linkage you speak of?

smoker
June 30th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I'm not liking what is being done to this forum. the community chat external site is being directly linked, this is obvious that this community chat section of this forum will eventually be disbanded.

I'm seriously not digging what you guys are doing here.

This sounds a bit like unlikely - is this solely your opinion, or do you have any proof of this happening?

juxtaposed
June 30th, 2007, 09:04 PM
the community chat external site is being directly linked, this is obvious that this community chat section of this forum will eventually be disbanded.

Aside from some admin linking to some site and mass mailing it, theres been no mention of it.

Tundro Walker
June 30th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I think it would actually make sense to farm the Community Chat off to the external board. It would free up bandwidth that is really needed for Ubuntu-oriented forums, like Absolute Beginners and such, especially with the recent increase from new Dell Ubuntu users.

With that said, I'm a complete hypocrite, and haven't even checked out the external social board. If I come here and notice the Community Cafe no longer exists, I'll probably trudge over to the external social board then.

I don't see why the OP thinks this is a big deal. It's not like some fascist Gestapo conspiracy to ruin Ubuntu through forum mis-management.

bapoumba
June 30th, 2007, 09:21 PM
As far as I know, there are absolutely no plans to end the discussion areas on UF. Social Discussions is another opportunity offered, a forum with more relaxed rules and moderation. Not all members over there come from UF, by far.

matthew
June 30th, 2007, 09:28 PM
There are no plans to close the cafe or the backyard.

Tundro Walker
June 30th, 2007, 09:51 PM
There are no plans to close the cafe or the backyard.

Let's see how many conspiracy theorists show up now, citing your statement as "proof" that the community cafe will indeed close down now....LOL! :D

You all do realize that Matthew is secretly an international MIB that works in Public Relations, and that the Ubuntu forums are really just a distraction so Elvis, Jimmy Hoffa & Walt Disney's head can all collaborate in secret about the Illuminati's latest affairs with Majestic-12, right?

matthew
June 30th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Let's see how many conspiracy theorists show up now, citing your statement as "proof" that the community cafe will indeed close down now....LOL! :D

You all do realize that Matthew is secretly an international MIB that works in Public Relations, and that the Ubuntu forums are really just a distraction so Elvis, Jimmy Hoffa & Walt Disney's head can all collaborate in secret about the Illuminati's latest affairs with Majestic-12, right?Shh...don't blow my cover.:-$

esaym
July 1st, 2007, 03:28 AM
Frankly, I think the question should be: Does Ubuntu want to be associated with a forum that has a "philosophy of religion" section? Which is the reason I stay faaar from that place:p