PDA

View Full Version : What Version of Ubuntu?

Hawk__0
June 30th, 2007, 08:12 PM
hey there guys, I, myself have been using ubuntu for about 3 or 4 months, and I love it.
my question is, what is the difference between all the ubuntus? (xubuntu, edubuntu, etc)

My aunts ex left an old "crap computer that doesn't work", which i found amusing, because it only doesn't work due to viruses and such. So i wanted to format it, and put ubuntu on it, and OS that works. I am just unsure if there is a particular one i should put on, as she will be new to linux.

I am sure any version would work for her, as she only does email and online banking, etc, but is there a particular version which is very easy for a beginner? all i gathered from looking at edubuntus site is something to do with having rights to modify software or something.

f.r.o.g.man
June 30th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I can only vouch for the relative simplicity of Ubuntu. I'm a stark, raving newbie, and - thanks to these forums - have been transitioning away from xp with minimal problems.

SunnyRabbiera
June 30th, 2007, 08:38 PM
the main difference between Kubuntu, Ubuntu and Xubuntu its its default desktop environment.
Kubuntu uses KDE
Ubuntu uses Gnome
and Xubuntu uses XFCE.

KDE and Gnome are two of the most popular desktop environments out there, some people like KDE and others like Gnome.
KDE in nature is sort of windows like, made for people who like windows like desktops who might feel something else is too alien.
Gnome these days is sort of like Mac OSX, where most of the main functions are on the top bar while things like the taskbar are on the lower panel.
Both compete and work different ways, KDE was built to be an easy to use and simplistic desktop environment
Gnome was actually originally intended to be a KDE replacement as at one time KDE's core QT was not open source.
Some people think KDE is too bloated
Some feel that Gnome is over simplified
Then there is XFCE.
XFCE is a newcomer compared to the others, but most of the time it is lighter then Gnome but can offer a windows like feel like KDE.
For me XFCE is sort of the middle ground, as yes its sort of like both KDE and Gnome in one.

You should look all of them up sometime.

Vajra Vrtti
June 30th, 2007, 08:45 PM
The difference between Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu is the desktop manager, respectively Gnome, KDE and XFCE. Xubuntu/XFCE is more lightweight and may be adequate for smaller/older machines but, except for that, the choice is basically a matter of taste. I prefer Ubuntu/Gnome. All are perfect for a browser/e-mail/Office kind of usage.

Edubuntu is Ubuntu with some extra educational software pre-installed.

I suggest you try them all using the live CD just to see how each desktop looks like and the install the one you like most.

starcraft.man
June 30th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Gnome these days is sort of like Mac OSX, where most of the main functions are on the top bar while things like the taskbar are on the lower panel.

GNOME like OSX/Aqua? Uhhhhh, did Apple patent the panel being split top/bottom? For many years (right up till I started XP and wanted a change) I had the taskbar for Windows at the top (now, its at bottom). I've seen OSX and of course use GNOME extensively as my main desktop, I don't think there that similar at all (the top thing isn't a similarity IMO). You can equally interchange the two taskbars or even merge them into one in GNOME on bottom.

As to preference over which to pick, I can't guide. If you got time try em both, there isn't any real difference its just a desktop environment. All the underpinnings of Linux are the same across the versions. I prefer GNOME.

SunnyRabbiera
June 30th, 2007, 09:03 PM
GNOME like OSX/Aqua? Uhhhhh, did Apple patent the panel being split top/bottom? For many years (right up till I started XP and wanted a change) I had the taskbar for Windows at the top (now, its at bottom). I've seen OSX and of course use GNOME extensively as my main desktop, I don't think there that similar at all (the top thing isn't a similarity IMO). You can equally interchange the two taskbars or even merge them into one in GNOME on bottom.

As to preference over which to pick, I can't guide. If you got time try em both, there isn't any real difference its just a desktop environment. All the underpinnings of Linux are the same across the versions. I prefer GNOME.

well the similarities between gnome and OSX are only with the top bar, and in some respects the bottom taskbar is like the OSX docker, but its clear as day how different they really ar as OSX's docker and main taskbar behave differently then Gnome
but there a lot of features that OSX has that gnome doesnt, the menu bar is vastly different, the Docker has zooming and cool effects.
Apple has not really gone after linux for "infringements" like MS, yeh they too have patented a lot but really leave linux alone.

Tundro Walker
June 30th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Hey, there's already a GNOME vs. KDE flame war thread...please don't turn this one into another. LOL!

I'd recommend using Ubuntu or Kubuntu. My personal experience with Xubuntu was kinda annoying, because when you go to change the font sizes on the desktop, it sets off a bug where the DPI isn't set, and the font grows ever smaller until finally it's minuscule. To fix it, you have to dig up the .conf file and manually enter in the DPI to 96. It was annoying.

I use Ubuntu, but both Ubuntu and Kubuntu are really robust GUI-oriented. They both have their own pet apps, but you can usually get them to run on each other, since Synaptic will install the necessary components to get them to work.

Heck, if you want to, you can install one or the other, then use the Synaptic repo to install the other one, that way you can use GNOME or KDE as your session. Really, it's like splitting hairs at this point...it's like arguing "do you want to drive the Mercedes or the Lexus?"

logos34
June 30th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I'd say forget kde/kubuntu. So then that leave Ubuntu/gnome or Xubuntu/xfce (a good choice if this pc has 256mb ram or less) and a tiny hard drive