PDA

View Full Version : Need hex machine code file for some sample GRUB source

New-In-Ohio
June 30th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Hello, I'm new to ubuntu, fairly new to programming, I just installed kubuntu 7.04 on a dual boot machine. I'm trying to understand GRUB completely. I've been looking at the MBR with dd output in KHexEdit. I downloaded the GRUB source and went to the stage1 directory. What i would like to do is convert stage1.S into "hex formatted" code (not sure how to say that) so i can reverse compile in my mind what is going on step by step. I want to look at the assembly language and hex code side by side to know for example, "jmp is ebh" and "nop is 90h". I thought

cc -S -o test.s stage1.S

would work where 'test.s' is the assembly code. All I get is the same file output to the screen and no test.s file. After stumbling and searching I realized my first problem was not enough developement code installed. I did an 'apt-get install build-essential'. After this, I moved stage1.h and stage1.S into a bin directory off my home directory and added that to $PATH. Now the output is this

# 1 "stage1.S"
# 1 "<built-in>"
# 1 "<command line>"
# 1 "stage1.S"

and no test.s in the directory. I cant even do "cc stage1.S" to get a.out. I know I'm missing something fundamental. If someone could help or tell me which FriendlyManual to read it would all be appreciated.

New-In-Ohio
June 30th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I solved the hex object file issue by simply doing

cc -c -o test.o stage1.S
I feel silly. Still not sure why the linker isn't working.

Andrew