PDA

View Full Version : Shipit only allowing three?

Warpnow
June 30th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Back with the LTS I ordered the max amount (25 I think) and sitting here, I think I introduced about 20ish people to Ubuntu just by randomly telling them about it. I found it VERY helpful to put the cd in while windows was running and install openoffice and all that **** first and they'd be interrested, then, in the concept of free software.

Of the 20ish people, I know at least half of them ran Ubuntu for at least a couple months...and I know a few that still use it today.

Is there a reason the max amount of CDs has been cut back?

Obor
June 30th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Try to make a special request and explain why you want them and what you will do with them and maybe it will get approved. I think they would prefer if the CDs are reused/passed around but we all want that shiny ubuntu live cd on the shelf :)

I think getting 3 cd shipped for free is not bad at all ;)

Metacarpal
June 30th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Another theory:
Setting a max of three probably helps improve turnaround time for getting the CDs to people in general. They can only make and ship them so fast, after all. If seven people ordered 12 each, that's the same amount of resources as getting 3 CDs each to 28 people.

I agree that you should write them and see if they'll make an exception, though.

Warpnow
June 30th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I have 4 CD burners I can put into my machine, might just buy a pack of cds and burn them all as Ubuntu Ultimate or something and give 'em out to people. Wouldn't take that long to burn, really.

BigSilly
June 30th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I only ever ordered one disc at a time anyway. I'm quite happy to burn off copies for those I know will be interested in it.

Is it possible to pre-order a copy of Gutsy from Ship-it yet? Or do you have to wait until nearer the release time? Next release of Ubuntu is the one that finally nukes my Windows! I can't wait, and I want to secure a disc as soon as possible.