PDA

View Full Version : roleplaying ubuntu'ers ?

weasel fierce
July 14th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Any of the ubuntu people that play roleplaying games ?
Not stuff like final fantasy and neverwinter nights, but real, pen and paper RPG's ?

A-star
July 14th, 2005, 06:54 AM
I used to play AD&D with some guys, but due to lack of time i had to stop.
Real shame though, really enjoyed playing.

Now we only play Warhammer Quest roleplaying once each 2 months.

psychicdragon
July 14th, 2005, 07:55 AM
I used to play a lot of D&D during highschool, early college years. Haven't played at all for about a year now though. Most of the group has grown up, gotten married, moved away or whatever now.

I still do play nethack though. I can retire when I finally manage to ascend a wizard.

mailophobic
July 14th, 2005, 10:06 AM
I play D&D 3.5 edition with a lot of house rules to make any sense of it. Call of cthulhu , vampire and starwars. I am the proud owner of a lot of dice lol

AntiDragon
July 14th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Not anymore but I used to play with my mates.

We tried Shadowrun and Advanced Fighting Fantasy. But settled for a while on Adv. HeroQuest - it was a GamesWorkshop thingy and a lot of fun. Especially as I was GM...hehe...

Most of our spare time was split between rugby, HeroQuest and biking. Ah..nostalgia....<sigh> :)

skirkpatrick
July 14th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Played a lot of AD&D back when there was only 1st edition (1981 - 1989) :) Same problem though, our group married and started other interests. Got the kids interested when they were old enough and they still play some but can't find a lot of other players in the area. Besides, they've turned more to computer games. I still love RPG and have more RPG computer game titles than any other. It's nice to be able to sit down and play when I want and stop when something comes up. I haven't gotten into the online RPG's, partly because I hate the idea of monthly fees, some of them turn into nothing more than chat rooms, and my wife wouldn't like it if I got sucked in as deep as the kids [-X

gylf
July 14th, 2005, 04:46 PM
I play a bit online using Open RPG. Nice little program, though typing out everything tends to make the games last a looong time. :-?

Since we're on the topic, I'll take this opportunity to pitch my favorite gaming system:

I've been wanting to play a fantasy game using the free gaming system Fate (www.faterpg.com (http://www.faterpg.com) ). Its a derivative of the FUDGE system.

I like FATE because I don't have the time to look up every little detailed rule (I know the basics of AD&D, but I don't play that often and have to always refresh my memory). I'm in law school and I'm married, so I can't spend hours preparing a game or reading through manuals (I have plenty of "rule books" to read through as it is, thanks). And law school is expensive, so I don't have the money to buy the "revised re-edited updated improved" expansion books every other month @ $40/book

Fate handles both of the problems nicely (its free and simple). Unfortunatly, very few people play it! But if anyone here does play it, let me know your experiances with it.

varunus
July 14th, 2005, 05:07 PM
What, nobody else plays World of Darkness? Vampire the Masquerade!

Oh, and D&D. :)

TravisNewman
July 14th, 2005, 05:43 PM
I used to play back in high school. AD&D and Palladium. Ony played for about a year before losing interest though.

gylf
July 14th, 2005, 06:45 PM
I used to play back in high school. AD&D and Palladium. Ony played for about a year before losing interest though.

it can be a lot of fun, but it requires a group with the right mix of personalities and gameplay preferences to suit your style. Such a group is hard to come by.

What, nobody else plays World of Darkness? Vampire the Masquerade!
I know the games and know people who have played them. Never played them personally. I have no desire to role-play a vampire.

Stormy Eyes
July 14th, 2005, 07:17 PM
I played a bit of 2nd Ed. AD&D in college, but didn't stick with it. The guys I played with kept trying to turn the campaign into a bastard child of Spaceballs and Bored of the Rings, much to the DM's displeasure, and the DM had a nasty habit of tampering with the dice rolls to slug the odds in favor of NPCs and monsters.

Ride Jib
July 14th, 2005, 09:33 PM
My girlfriend and I sometimes role-play.

weasel fierce
July 15th, 2005, 06:41 AM
I've played just about anything and everything.

Right now, we're playing Runequest, which rocks. Anyone in Portland, OR, is welcome to join us

Someone mentioned FATE, which is a fantastic system :)

Bo Rosén
July 15th, 2005, 10:58 AM
I've played lots of rpgs. Probably started with Basic D&D around 1980 and Melee (a precursor to Gurps) and then AD&D and Runequest. up until recently I've played mostly HeroWars (sort of sequel to RuneQuest - same world different system) via IRC and mail, but I've lost interest recently and dropped everything. I'm very likely to get back into it again though as i really like to play.

oh, and for anyone who likes RuneQuest, you may want to check out Steve Perrin's updated rules in progress at his site www.perrinworlds.com/SPQR.html, looks to be down at the moment though.

weasel fierce
July 15th, 2005, 06:33 PM
if you're in Sweden, you must have played Drakar och Demoner ?

We played that for years, before starting to use Runequest :)

Bo Rosén
July 16th, 2005, 09:54 AM
if you're in Sweden, you must have played Drakar och Demoner ?

I actually have a battered up first ed laying around somewhere. But I began role playing before Drakar och Demoner came out, besides it was just a bad translation of an American game anyway ;-)
I did run a short campaign for a couple of friends using it though.

Bo Rosén
August 10th, 2005, 09:56 AM
On a related note; is anyone using linux software in their gaming? And I don't mean text editors or OOo ;-). What I'm mostly curious about if there is any sort of decent map making software out there.
I've been asked to set up a GURPS campaign, and I actually have a few half baked ideas so it may actually happen some time.

Ampersand
August 10th, 2005, 10:05 AM
I played big eyes, small mouth for a while.

N'Jal
August 10th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I sometimes (though haven't had time lately) post on Magarren (http://www.mikeradvancedgaming.com/forums/index.php) it's a play by post role-play site, should anyone be interested

tom-ubuntu
August 10th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Played a lot of Hero Quest years ago, hours and hours, night and nights. Was really great fun. I am now collecting the expansion packs released. But they are guite expensive sometime.

Also play Space Crusade. It is similar to Hero Quest, but not fantasy, more Science Fictions, with aliens and so. But didn't like it that much as HQ. But was still fun :)

macgyver2
August 10th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Back in college I used to play Star Wars and GM-ed Indiana Jones (got the whole set of books for $3 each off of ebay...sweet deal!). Been about 4 years though...

tom-ubuntu
August 14th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Yeah, just receive the Hero Quest addon "Against the Ogre Horde". Cheap, but still more expensive then the release price. Damn, I still love this game :)

nickless
August 14th, 2005, 02:42 PM
We here in Germany play a lot DSA (Das Schwarze Auge). Translated "The black Eye" is a pretty standard fantasy rpg. I also played shadowrun, which is a german rpg, too :D kind of like cyberpunk.
At the moment I don't play anything :( , but we'll start an exaulted round, soon. :)

weasel fierce
August 14th, 2005, 04:57 PM
ahh, exalted. Make sure you have enough dice :)

TristanMike
August 14th, 2005, 06:06 PM
I play Vampire: The Masqureade. When I storytell, Tristan Mike is my staple character. A Tremere Prince, of New Orleans, but for a Tremere, he's a pretty nice guy. When I play Vampire, it's Reme Fuechente(Foo-shawn-tay) a Punk Malkavian with voices in his head, like a Jamacian Parrot named Polly who gives me a +2 to music when I...er...he scratches, oh yeah, and everyone I diablerie too, like my sire, oops...why won't the voices stop!? I lost intrest in Vampire since the "New" editions where they knocked out like all of the clans and Gehenna happened and all that jazz, they shoulda just expanded on the 3rd edition. IMO tho

I see a lot of people play D&D, ya know I never got into that, it was too hack and slash the few times I've played tho I've never DM'd so, who's to say, I coulda had a crappy DM. I like there to be more story than hack and slash. How do you guys(and girls) play D&D, is it mostly hack and slash, and "build those levels" or do you focus on story more cause I think D&D would be way more fun that way.

weasel fierce
August 14th, 2005, 06:17 PM
When I play D&D, I kind of approach it as a puzzle, with challenges to overcome. I always go for the epic storylines too, where the characters start as nobodies, and become heroes.

Mostly though, I like Runequest better, as it lacks the issues that make D&D rather silly