PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or does it seem like Linux talk has died down?

conanm4
June 30th, 2007, 07:07 AM
It seems like talk on digg and slashdot about linux and announcements and stuff like that has died down lately. After beryl started taking off it was all talk talk talk and now I visit digg and I get 1 or 2 popular linux stories a day. I miss reading new and neat plans and announcements. Any thoughts or comments?

tbroderick
June 30th, 2007, 08:01 AM
You're crazy. There is tons of GNU/Linux talk on those sites. If you want even more GNU/Linux news, then head over to lxer,com.

conanm4
June 30th, 2007, 08:12 AM
You're crazy. There is tons of GNU/Linux talk on those sites. If you want even more GNU/Linux news, then head over to lxer,com.

Checked that site and there is a **** ton more so thanks.

Incάnus
June 30th, 2007, 09:12 AM
It seems like talk on digg and slashdot about linux and announcements and stuff like that has died down lately. After beryl started taking off it was all talk talk talk and now I visit digg and I get 1 or 2 popular linux stories a day. I miss reading new and neat plans and announcements. Any thoughts or comments?

I can't speak from having read it in the last week or whatever it is - I've stopped reading digg because with the new comments system you could spend all day trying to read one page of comments, and I go to geek sites to slack off work, not actually become unemployed.

I wonder if many linux-using professionals find themselves thinking the same way.

:)

RAV TUX
June 30th, 2007, 09:15 AM

I agree, IRC is dead, DW is busy bashing Puppy...and I am more interesting in buying a Mini Cooper and escaping to the country roads...

Johnsie
June 30th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Linux had it's five minutes of fame last year when people were waiting for Vista. Right now the mainstream press is more interested in Apple and Vista. Mark Shuttleworth and some other big names in Linux really need to do more press interviews to make sure Linux gets a high profile. A lot of the "talk" is paid advertising, something Linux fails to do as effectively at the same level as Windows and Mac.

Tomosaur
June 30th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Well it can't be in the news all the time! Whenever there's another big announcement more news comes along, but there hasn't been anything really major for a little while.