PDA

View Full Version : am I the only person that thinks kde is "buggy"?

wolfen69
June 30th, 2007, 06:10 AM
every kde distro ive tried was "nervous" too jittery. i have a decent setup: 4200 x2, 256 RAM vid card, 2gigs ram. nothing unusual. gnome always works perfect.

Extreme Coder
June 30th, 2007, 07:07 AM
My magic 8-ball alerts of a coming... flamewar!
*puts flamewar shield on*

the_darkside_986
June 30th, 2007, 07:25 AM
I use KDE in my FreeBSD install, and while it is a great desktop environment, it does seem to have a few issues. Sometimes applications within the KDE libs framework seem to freeze the whole system.

wolfen69
June 30th, 2007, 07:31 AM
ive tried many distros, and everytime i install kde, i notice glitches, gnome has gone off near perfect. i have a generic setup, shouldnt sway the vote too much.

blueturtl
June 30th, 2007, 07:33 AM
I'll admit it's been a long time since I used KDE, but when I did it did seem a bit rickety. Every now and then applications wouldn't start, others would just crash in normal use. It could have been lack of polish on the side of the distributor though.

sloggerkhan
June 30th, 2007, 07:54 AM
I've found KDE to be glitchy also. I really haven't looked at many implementations, might have been specific to the versions I tried.

jrusso2
June 30th, 2007, 07:58 AM
The version of KDE on Feisty is terrible but I went back to edgy and I have no problems with KDE its quite stable.

On my main PC I am running sarge with KDE and its rock solid but its a pretty old version.

scxtt
June 30th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Feisty KDE works fine on my 64-bit X2 3200+ w/ 4GB of RAM, integrated nvidia 6100 ...

the biggest + i have for gnome right now is that gnome-power-manager detects/uses my UPS w/o me doing ANYTHING ... my only gripe is that i have no idea how it does it, so i can't x-late it to KDE ...

davtaine
June 30th, 2007, 08:12 AM
http://tinyurl.com/3aavg4 :)

SoulinEther
June 30th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Kopete crashed on me once. Otherwise it's pretty stable.

I like how it actually takes less memory to run than I thought, but it fully utilizes your RAM as well.

pseudonym
June 30th, 2007, 08:44 AM
After using GNOME for a long time I eventualy tired of its what Torvalds calls "interface nazism" (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00022.html). So when Feisty came around I switched to Kubuntu and coudn't be happier. I just love that extra GUI configurability, although to my eyes GNOME is a tad prettier.

I've found that a long-standing bug causes unclean shutdowns if you have the Kubuntu splash screen turned on (which is by default), but turning it off is no biggie. On the other side, HDTV works flawlessly in Kaffeine, which quite frankly is the best DVB player you can get for Linux. I used it when I ran GNOME but it was always prone to stuttering/buffering issues on HD streams.

Obor
June 30th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I love KDE but don't use it because on my pc it just doesn't work well, especially on top of *buntu. I've tried both kubuntu-desktop and kde-core and my wife told me after few days "can you put the ubuntu back please" :p

I've recently tried Mepis and the KDE there seemed to be rock solid. I like *buntu for the latest packages but I can see why Mepis guys choose to go with older packages that seem to work without freezes etc. I felt like Mepis is what Kubuntu should be (but i was missing current versions of applications at the same time).

thegnome87
June 30th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I think it depends on the distro, since some may be more or less KDE-centric than others. I love using KDE on MEPIS, but have had a few problems with it on Fedora (of course experience varies). I knew I had to go back to GNOME after I heard a "glass break." ...;) jk

awakatanka
June 30th, 2007, 10:25 AM
I have tested some distro's that are KDE centric. And they never where buggy to me, only kubuntu is buggy on me but not realy annoying. Mepis is rock solid, PClinuxOS is rock solid, Mandriva is solid. Sabayon i had troubles with the installing part and was very slow the first time i tryed but fast after a couple of reboots, probably needs to mature more. Opensuse had some troubles and redhat i didn't try because its more gnomeish.

But all distro's that using a new kernel i had troubles with it on my laptop, random lockups but that was in kde and gnome, but on my main pc they where fine without troubles.

Polygon
June 30th, 2007, 11:32 AM
certain parts of kde are buggy for me. Like in kubuntu, knetworkmanager or whatever its called CANNOT for the life of it work with my internet connection/wireless card

but then i boot up ubuntu and it works perfectly, ..... but they both use the same kernel right? why does kubuntu not work with my wifi but gnome does?

loell
June 30th, 2007, 11:39 AM
so,.. anybody wanna rush installing KDE 4 when its out? ;)

sloggerkhan
July 1st, 2007, 12:17 AM
I am going to try kaffeine. I've been looking for something in between gXxine and xine-ui for video playback.
Some kde apps I really do like, well, really more of an 'app' than 'apps,' in this case, k3b.

After using GNOME for a long time I eventualy tired of its what Torvalds calls "interface nazism" (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00022.html). So when Feisty came around I switched to Kubuntu and coudn't be happier. I just love that extra GUI configurability, although to my eyes GNOME is a tad prettier.

I've found that a long-standing bug causes unclean shutdowns if you have the Kubuntu splash screen turned on (which is by default), but turning it off is no biggie. On the other side, HDTV works flawlessly in Kaffeine, which quite frankly is the best DVB player you can get for Linux. I used it when I ran GNOME but it was always prone to stuttering/buffering issues on HD streams.