PDA

View Full Version : Some ways to improve Ubuntu Gutsy final

donnellymp
June 30th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Hi. I'm running Gutsy Tribe 2 on my laptop, and for the most part it works great with my Atheros wifi card and Intel innards. But there's room for improvement:

1. Create a more sensible categorization of the Compiz Fusion stuff. For example, why not group some of the more popular effects and activate groups of them, preconfigured, with the click of a button? Call it "OS X in a click" or something. Things are still too complicated for OS X or Windows users. True geeks can change the defaults, but new users need an out-of-the box “wow” factor. Take a stab at it – don't force users to do a lot of customization up front.

2.Improve Madwifi support in the Ubuntu flavor of the kernel. Using Madwifi drivers for OpenSUSE 10.2 delivered a stronger signal (60% vs. 80%) on the same laptop at the same wifi location. This is painful for those of us with Atheros chips.

3.Install 915 Resolution by default. In Feisty, I'd have to install the Xorg-Intel driver to get 1280 resolution on my laptop with integrated Intel graphics. Now I have to install 915Resolution to get anything beyond 1028. But how many new Linux users will know how to do that?

4.Fix the sound. On my Acer 3680 laptop, Gutsy doesn't know my sound card has Surround, Center, etc. So my sound is muted until I manually fix his. Again, no sound for a new user might be a showstopper.

5.Add the OpenXML plugin to OpenOffice by default. Novell has this RPM on their site, and if legally possible to distribute it, Ubuntu should add it. This would be great for those of us who deal with World 2007 users and have to install the translator manually with Alien and all that nonsense.

6. Fix Totem so it plays videos when Compiz is installed. Newbies shouldn't have to do an ALT-f2, gstreamer-properties, etc.

7. Change the name of the all-in-one codec install package so Ubuntu users know it isn't just for Kubuntu users.

8. Fix Compiz so it doesn't slow down loading of Network Manager after signing on.

9. Give Evolution a pop-up mail notification gizmo like Thunderbird has. Users shouldn't have to download and configure Mail Notification. Also let Evolution be minimized like KMail.

These relatively minor changes would make the October release of 7.10 even better.

smartboyathome
June 30th, 2007, 07:17 PM
This should have been posted in the "Development (Gutsy Gibbons)" board, not this one.

syxbit
July 13th, 2007, 05:26 PM
openXML support is a MUST
i have serious docs that i edit and forward.
i have to dual boot just for office 2007

Locoxella
August 9th, 2007, 04:17 PM
openXML its not really "open". Even the users of windows try to avoid that format and have problems with it.... why encouraging such type of documents in Ubuntu?

eentonig
August 9th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I would rather say that ODF in windows is a must.

Why would we bend for a proprietary standard, while a decent Open standard exists?