View Full Version : Music industry blasts Prince for releasing free CD

Cheese Sandwich
June 30th, 2007, 02:15 AM
http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2114557,00.html

Music industry attacks Sunday newspaper's free Prince CD

Katie Allen, media business correspondent
Friday June 29, 2007
The Guardian

The eagerly awaited new album by Prince is being launched as a free CD with a national Sunday newspaper in a move that has drawn widespread criticism from music retailers.

The Mail on Sunday revealed yesterday that the 10-track Planet Earth CD will be available with an "imminent" edition, making it the first place in the world to get the album. Planet Earth will go on sale on July 24.

"It's all about giving music for the masses and he believes in spreading the music he produces to as many people as possible," said Mail on Sunday managing director Stephen Miron. "This is the biggest innovation in newspaper promotions in recent times."

The paper, which sells more than 2m copies a week, will be ramping up its print run in anticipation of a huge spike in circulation but would not reveal how much the deal with Prince would cost.

One music store executive described the plan as "madness" while others said it was a huge insult to an industry battling fierce competition from supermarkets and online stores. Prince's label has cut its ties with the album in the UK to try to appease music stores.

The Entertainment Retailers Association said the giveaway "beggars belief". "It would be an insult to all those record stores who have supported Prince throughout his career," ERA co-chairman Paul Quirk told a music conference. "It would be yet another example of the damaging covermount culture which is destroying any perception of value around recorded music.

"The Artist Formerly Known as Prince should know that with behaviour like this he will soon be the Artist Formerly Available in Record Stores. And I say that to all the other artists who may be tempted to dally with the Mail on Sunday."

High street music giant HMV was similarly scathing about the plans. Speaking before rumours of a giveaway were confirmed, HMV chief executive Simon Fox said: "I think it would be absolutely nuts. I can't believe the music industry would do it to itself. I simply can't believe it would happen; it would be absolute madness."

Prince, whose Purple Rain sold more than 11m copies, also plans to give away a free copy of his latest album with tickets for his forthcoming concerts in London. The singer had signed a global deal for the promotion and distribution of Planet Earth in partnership with Columbia Records, a division of music company Sony BMG. A spokesman for the group said last night that the UK arm of Sony BMG had withdrawn from Prince's global deal and would not distribute the album to UK stores.

hellomeow
June 30th, 2007, 02:23 AM
I believe that releasing a free CDs will facilitate the exposure of an artists work, thereby actually increasing sales of CDs by an artist that are not free. At least offering some free music (perhaps downloadable off the artist's website) generally seems like a pretty solid idea.

SunnyRabbiera
June 30th, 2007, 02:51 AM
hehe, go prince!

Show em what it feels like when doves cry! :D

%hMa@?b<C
June 30th, 2007, 02:52 AM
respect to prince, I just hope that the copies are free as in freedom (no DRM)

Polygon
June 30th, 2007, 02:54 AM
"It would be an insult to all those record stores who have supported Prince throughout his career,"

supported him, or raked in the money off of HIS success?

Fenryr
June 30th, 2007, 02:58 AM
I can't stand his music, personally, but if he's gonna kick the music industry in the nuts, I'm all for it...Those bastards've had it coming for decades...*g*

Ireclan
June 30th, 2007, 03:09 AM
While I myself do not care much for Prince, I do believe in what he is doing in regards to his CD. The music industry's reaction is expected but silly and short-sighted, for reasons already noted in this thread.

kamaboko
June 30th, 2007, 03:28 AM
The real money is in t-shirt sales and all that other crap performers sell at shows. Prince will cash in that way when he tours.

juxtaposed
June 30th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Cool, I now have alot of respect for an artist i've never heard his music before :)

firedancer
June 30th, 2007, 03:37 AM
why when an artist feels like doing something with HIS OWN MUSIC and the way he manages it , BIG @*$Es have to 'spread' $h!T all around town like if you were hungry they would give a damn

a struggling artist

sorry , wasn't suppose to see this thread

:-({|=

justin whitaker
June 30th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Cool, I now have alot of respect for an artist i've never heard his music before :)

:-k:confused:8-[:shock::rolleyes:

Dude, go get yourself a copy of Lovesexy. Most people don't think it was his best, but it gives you a thorough introduction into the man's music, all sides of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovesexy

More on Prince here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_%28musician%29

Kids these days. ;)

RomeReactor
June 30th, 2007, 05:02 AM
It would be an insult to all those record stores who have supported Prince throughout his career," ERA co-chairman Paul Quirk told a music conference.
And here I thought it was the concert-going, record-buying public that supported artists; seems I've been mistaken all along.

It would be yet another example of the damaging covermount culture which is destroying any perception of value around recorded music.
And by value I'm sure you mean ridiculously exagerated price?

The Artist Formerly Known as Prince should know that with behaviour like this he will soon be the Artist Formerly Available in Record Stores
What's a record store?

pseudonym
June 30th, 2007, 09:04 AM
So we have a big name artist creating and distributing his music in what appears to be a manner that he sees fit, and the 'industry' is up in arms about it? Looked at in pure economic terms, Prince is making a rational choice as an entrepreneur in what is supposed to be a free market. Isn't that how the theory is supposed to go?...Oh wait, I forgot the unspoken proviso that the toes of vested interests should never be trodden on.

RAV TUX
June 30th, 2007, 09:12 AM
What's a record store?

exactly, I thought record stores died years ago...but there is a store a block away that only sells vintage vinyl records....

Prince is pure genius and a great artist he is ahead of his time!

steven8
June 30th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Prince has always been an individual, even within the industrial complex. It seems a natural progression for him to break from the mold completely!! Just awesome!!!!

Soarer
June 30th, 2007, 10:21 AM
This fits in with the man himself - he was known as "the artist formerly known as Prince" because of a dispute with... his then record label. He regarded artist contracts as tantamount to slavery. They can't be surprised if he is giving as good as he got.

I have seen him live twice, in London, and he was brilliant. Even though I am not a huge fan of his recorded music, his stage performance and presence is amazing - well worth the ticket price.

kevinlyfellow
June 30th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I find it amazing that whenever someone wants to give something away for free, someone else always complains.

steven8
June 30th, 2007, 10:37 AM
I find it amazing that whenever someone wants to give something away for free, someone else always complains.

It's the people who want to make money of of his talent. :(

cezdeville
June 30th, 2007, 11:08 AM
it's nothing new: about year-two ago the same thing was done by very popular (in Poland of course) Polish pop band "Ich Troje". their album was spread with one of main Polish tabloids.
personally i think that their music is **** but anyway i support such acts, especially when music cd's in Poland are extremally expensive (in relation to our payments). it is hard to be legal in this country.
the same situation is here, i don't like Prince at all, but... hell yeah!!

PartisanEntity
June 30th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I can't stand his music, personally, but if he's gonna kick the music industry in the nuts, I'm all for it...Those bastards've had it coming for decades...*g*

+1

Spike-X
June 30th, 2007, 12:22 PM
The Entertainment Retailers Association said the giveaway "beggars belief". "It would be an insult to all those record stores who have supported Prince throughout his career," ERA co-chairman Paul Quirk told a music conference. "It would be yet another example of the damaging covermount culture which is destroying any perception of value around recorded music.

"The Artist Formerly Known as Prince should know that with behaviour like this he will soon be the Artist Formerly Available in Record Stores. And I say that to all the other artists who may be tempted to dally with the Mail on Sunday."

What a bunch of crybabies. Their sense of entitlement is sickening. It's Prince's music, not theirs, and he can do with it as he sees fit. Funny how it's always the people who have the least involvement in actually creating the work who always cry loudest when they don't get to make a buck off it.

ceil420
June 30th, 2007, 12:34 PM
All of Prince's music that I like was in Purple Rain (for some reason, I've never liked any other Prince track). But the man gets much respect from me. As someone else mentioned, he's already shown that he's willing to drop his name to stand up for what he believes in. And even though I'm sure it wasn't Prince's intention to slap the record comapanies around a bit, if that's how they wanna take it, fine. Dude just wants to get his music out there, for every one to enjoy.

Music is an art. It's not about the money, it's about the expression of self. It's taking a piece of your soul and showing it to the world at large. I say the RIAA (and whatever the corrosponding group in non-USA nations is) can **** off, and let the artists do as they will with their art.

Spike-X
June 30th, 2007, 12:42 PM
To be fair to the RIAA, etc, it's not the record companies crying this time, but the retailers.

Taino
June 30th, 2007, 01:09 PM

Greed my friend, everyone always wants a piece of your pie for themselves.