PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu is getting incredible

darrenm
June 29th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I know this is gonna sound like a fanboy rant and perhaps I am a fanboy but I have good reason.

At work they won't let me install Ubuntu on my main fast PC so I had to scav an old Pentium3 800 machine with a Geforce2 MX graphics card.

Today I installed Compiz-fusion and it worked flawlessly. Everyone there is amazed that Vista needs massive system specs for a few effects and I'm using this slow old PC that Windows XP would struggle to run on with all these fabulous effects.

At home I have a very cheap laptop, Celeron 1.5, Intel i915 onboard graphics and I thought I would test the upgrade to Gutsy. It all just gives me so much confidence that I can just upgrade to an early dev release with no problems. So I just changed all my sources in sources.list from feisty to gutsy, run apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade -y then came back an hour later and it was ready for me to reboot. Booted into it, installed the latest Compiz-fusion packages from Trevinos repo and now I'm working perfectly again in Gutsy with Compiz-fusion with it all looking fabulous.

Wow. It can't get much better than this can it?

FuturePilot
June 29th, 2007, 11:34 PM
*Drools*
:p

I tried out Compiz-Fusion on Gutsy and now I want it on Feisty.

darrenm
June 29th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Just add Trevinos repo and away you go. :)

reacocard
June 30th, 2007, 12:26 AM

Or there are backported gutsy debs here: http://syzygy42.tuxfamily.org/dists/feisty/compiz/

Trevino's are a bit more up-to-date, but these might be more stable.

starcraft.man
June 30th, 2007, 12:31 AM

Lucky, I tried compiz fusion yesterday and it didn't like my system, or I did something wrong. I'm sticking to Beryl until they get a solid stable release out (I guess when Gutsy is released they'll make sure thats stable).

sw1995
June 30th, 2007, 12:51 AM
I know this is gonna sound like a fanboy rant and perhaps I am a fanboy but I have good reason.

Personally, I think there needs to be MORE "fanboy" rants on these forums; I've spent quite a bit of time here and recently I have noticed a decidedly indifferent tone to many of the users. Everything is shrouded in this bizarre, "Shhhh! It's all about CHOICE...try X, Y, and Z!" mindset that after awhile I begin to wonder if anyone feels, like myself, that this kind of neither-nor criticism is bad for Ubuntu in the long run. All I am saying is that there is quite a bit of murky-middle ground to these forums that might give the impression to new users that Ubuntu is not here to stay, so why bother?

I know, I know: choice is what makes Linux great.

-S

starcraft.man
June 30th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Personally, I think there needs to be MORE "fanboy" rants on these forums; I've spent quite a bit of time here and recently I have noticed a decidedly indifferent tone to many of the users.
-S

I agree. There certainly are a lot of negative/indifferent people on the forums, and some people just seem to be on these forums to find problems and go "Look everyone! Ubuntu failed at something." Anyway, carry on, this might fit better in testimonials not sure...

Oh and yes, I know I'm a curmudgeon and I put things down, but always with reason (almost always...) and I've used Windows since forever, so there, all those years must have made me grumpy :p.

darrenm
June 30th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Lucky, I tried compiz fusion yesterday and it didn't like my system, or I did something wrong. I'm sticking to Beryl until they get a solid stable release out (I guess when Gutsy is released they'll make sure thats stable).

If its the no window borders just apt-get emerald* then run emerald --replace and you can have your old themes.

darrenm
June 30th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Personally, I think there needs to be MORE "fanboy" rants on these forums; I've spent quite a bit of time here and recently I have noticed a decidedly indifferent tone to many of the users. Everything is shrouded in this bizarre, "Shhhh! It's all about CHOICE...try X, Y, and Z!" mindset that after awhile I begin to wonder if anyone feels, like myself, that this kind of neither-nor criticism is bad for Ubuntu in the long run. All I am saying is that there is quite a bit of murky-middle ground to these forums that might give the impression to new users that Ubuntu is not here to stay, so why bother?

I know, I know: choice is what makes Linux great.

-S

I agree. There certainly are a lot of negative/indifferent people on the forums, and some people just seem to be on these forums to find problems and go "Look everyone! Ubuntu failed at something." Anyway, carry on, this might fit better in testimonials not sure...

Oh and yes, I know I'm a curmudgeon and I put things down, but always with reason (almost always...) and I've used Windows since forever, so there, all those years must have made me grumpy :p.

I absolutely see where you're coming from. Theres a tendency to try to be the wise old linux user that has seen it all before.

I've discovered a whole new love for Linux since moving from Mandriva to Ubuntu 2 years ago. A hell of a lot has happened in a short space of time. No wonder Microsoft seem to be getting more and more desperate every day.

darrenm
June 30th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Two more (same kinda thing but I like Expo)

FuturePilot
June 30th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Or there are backported gutsy debs here: http://syzygy42.tuxfamily.org/dists/feisty/compiz/

Trevino's are a bit more up-to-date, but these might be more stable.
Oooo! Thanks for that link. I'm off to try it.:popcorn:

Edit:
What's this?

FuturePilot
June 30th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Ok I got it. Needed to use Synaptic. But there was some warning about removing compiz-gtk.
And why do I only get thumbnail previews on windows that aren't minimized?
Hmm. I think I'll just wait for Gutsy. Compiz-Fusion is awesome but it's too messy for me to get it working in Feisty.

H.E. Pennypacker
June 30th, 2007, 03:34 AM
Oooo! Thanks for that link. I'm off to try it.:popcorn:

Edit:
What's this?

A forum search reveals that message is averted by upgrading through Synaptic. "Reload," "Mark All Upgrades," and "Apply." Close out of Update Manager, and do the upgrade through Synaptic.

You're warned about upgrading to beta software.

Alterax
June 30th, 2007, 03:39 AM
To the OP: I agree. Ubuntu just keeps getting better and better, and they are seeing the value of it at work too. Usually I don't work with Compiz, opting to focus on application stability, but your screenshots make it look like a work of art.

Enjoy (and share!) Ubuntu, and don't worry about getting pegged for being a fanboy. From what I've seen of Ubuntu, it IS something worth being excited about!

--Alterax

starcraft.man
June 30th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Two more (same kinda thing but I like Expo)

Oh man, that 3d panel is super sexy... MUST RESIST URGE..... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *falls off chair*

darrenm
June 30th, 2007, 01:32 PM
As I say, my machine at work is running Feisty and using this guide: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=481314&highlight=compiz-fusion its working perfectly.

Tundro Walker
July 1st, 2007, 02:38 AM
See, Shuttleworth is right...pretty IS a feature! Look at how many folks are getting lured into testing the Compiz Fusion! :D

darrenm
July 1st, 2007, 08:47 AM
See, Shuttleworth is right...pretty IS a feature! Look at how many folks are getting lured into testing the Compiz Fusion! :D

It absolutely is. Shuttleworth is right to listen to common sense and ignore the doubters. When I show off Ubuntu to anyone, Beryl/Compiz is the only thing I can show them because all the things that are actually really cool like add/remove programs, apt, networkmanager etc aren't easy to show until you actually use them.

Rapid eye candy development in the past couple of years is Linux' biggest asset to wider usage so we have to build on that.

DoctorMO
July 1st, 2007, 08:55 AM
It isn't just making things look nice; it's about taking all that raw power that very clever developers have created and re-cutting and setting it into a usable, pleasant and easy to work with way.

What we need is to identify the areas where it is technically possible to get things working. but that no real person ever does because the investment of the user is too high to achieve the result.

Think about this: there is a simple tool to convert any image format to any other image format called 'convert' hardly any normal user knows such a tool exists. but if it was a available when you right clicked any image; people would use it and think better of the entire systems usability.