PDA

View Full Version : Outrageous iPhone Pricing...

Old Pink
June 29th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Minimum Price: $500 4GB iPhone + ($60 contract * 24 months) = $1940

Maximum Price: $600 8GB iPhone + ($100 contract * 24 months) = $3000

And the contracts aren't brilliant.. http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

Minimum new 2-year wireless service plan and activation fee required to activate iPhone features, including iPod; plans are subject to AT&T credit approval.

Bring on the OpenMoko. This pricing is ****ing ridiculous.

heathen
June 29th, 2007, 11:04 PM
did you really expect anything else from apple?

FuturePilot
June 29th, 2007, 11:22 PM
What can you get for the price of an iPhone? (http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9734841-1.html?tag=slide_3)
:lolflag:

starcraft.man
June 30th, 2007, 12:22 AM
What can you get for the price of an iPhone? (http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9734841-1.html?tag=slide_3)
:lolflag:

LOL, that was good. You can get PS3 or 360 for the price. Much more function out of those IMO :D.

Anyway, ya, its overpriced. I have a 5 year (or older) motorolla cell, it still makes calls, get texts and in a limited way browses. Thats all I need.

init1
June 30th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Minimum Price: $500 4GB iPhone + ($60 contract * 24 months) = $1940

Maximum Price: $600 8GB iPhone + ($100 contract * 24 months) = $3000

And the contracts aren't brilliant.. http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

Bring on the OpenMoko. This pricing is ****ing ridiculous.
If I won the lottery or something like that, I would buy one. It is too expensive, but it's still cool.

kamaboko
June 30th, 2007, 01:16 AM
iPhone...a complete and utter waste of money.

stmiller
June 30th, 2007, 01:49 AM
I think I'd rather have one of those Nokia Linux mini-tablets instead of an iPhone. Not really 'apple-sexy' and not a phone, but has full internet functionality and touch screen, etc.

hellomeow
June 30th, 2007, 02:16 AM
The iPhone, like most of Apple's products, is a stunning achievement in innovation and design. I would happily pay those prices for it, if I could afford one.

Zzl1xndd
June 30th, 2007, 02:27 AM
The iPhone, like most of Apple's products, is a stunning achievement in innovation and design. I would happily pay those prices for it, if I could afford one.

I'll agree with what you said as far as apple products but im gonna have to disagree on buying one. I love Apple and wish them all the fighting chance in the world but in the end other then being extra cool looking my Nokia 5300 plays MP3's and has a Web browser so the price is a little much for me.

vexorian
June 30th, 2007, 02:38 AM
The iPhone, like most of Apple's products, is overrated.

mysticrider92
June 30th, 2007, 02:45 AM
I thought the $500 was expensive for the iPhone, I didn't know it wouldn't work unless you spent $60 a month for a basic phone plan! :!: I would rather buy a new computer for that kind of money. In our newspaper they did a story about the iPhone and said its features justified the price, I guess they didn't factor in that no one will give you a deal like that for a cell phone..

Sp4cedOut
June 30th, 2007, 03:21 AM
I think the iPhone looks cool, but doesn't justify the price. Further, I'm not comfortable putting that much money into something that small that I'm carrying around with my every day. What if I drop it and it breaks, or the screen gets scratched up, or it gets stolen?

Ireclan
June 30th, 2007, 03:47 AM
*Jaw drops*

What PIGS!

But maybe I shouldn't be so shocked.....This is, after all, Apple we're talking about.....

starcraft.man
June 30th, 2007, 04:11 AM
*Jaw drops*

What PIGS!

But maybe I shouldn't be so shocked.....This is, after all, Apple we're talking about.....

LOL! You think thats bad? I be they'll be charging Canadians 2-300 dollars more even though the dollars almost PAR!!!

I checked apple site just recently and they still seem to find the need to charge us 400$ or more for comparable stock (exact same product, and it was mid to low range). I don't pay that high a premium just for being Canadian.

Adamant1988
June 30th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Right, how many of you have cell phones? How much did your plan cost you overall? Right.

Ok, firstly, the plan is expensive, but it's right in line with AT&T's typical pricing... you're getting unlimited web browsing via the EDGE network on ALL of the plans, as well as a lot of other unlimited goodies (rollover minutes, etc.) They're premium plans for sure.

The iPhone itself is a premium quality device, and you'll pay a premium price for it. It's not 'outrageous' it's just expensive, much like everything else Apple creates.

I expect cheaper versions will arise not too long after the hype dies down a bit... sort of like with the iPod.

justin whitaker
June 30th, 2007, 04:16 AM
I have a AT&T cell, and the contract price is not out of line. It only seems like they give Cell Phones away cheap....it's just a vehicle for the contract.

Personally, I am thinking the Xbox360 is a better deal. You can even get an Elite and Gears for the price of the base phone....:p

vexorian
June 30th, 2007, 04:16 AM
let's see, I paid 45$us for my cell phone, and from last year's december I paid 15$us as "service" although it was mostly to keep the line alive, I still haven't spent those 15$us

ticopelp
June 30th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Yeah, according to your mathematical gymnastics, my FREE phone from Verizon is $1080. And yet I paid nothing for the phone!

If you're going to moan about the price point, let's leave the service contract out of it, shall we? All phones cost money to use. The iPhone is spendy enough without artificially inflating the numbers to justify getting more wound up about it.

starcraft.man
June 30th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Right, how many of you have cell phones? How much did your plan cost you overall? Right.

Like I said above, I have my 5 year old moto. I paid 0 for it with contract for 2 years, I'm out of it now just continuing service. I pay a cheap price just for the line and a few text messages. Far less than the minimum or average for the phone.

I guess I agree with the rest, the iPhone is a premium device with serious short comings (at least I think so, depends what important to you I suppose). As such, I and a lot of other regular users don't need it. I'm certainly not paying any premium for being Canadian either, Apple seems to like to pick on us up North. I don't take kindly to being ripped off.

firedancer
June 30th, 2007, 04:25 AM
a golden apple OOOh !

hope there no worms in it

looks cool , but i need a phone to call not to show off

in some countries you gottta watch out using one , you could get killed while making a (last) phone call !

:D

WalmartSniperLX
June 30th, 2007, 04:54 AM
I didn't look over plan/rates but Im just scared of buying an iPhone and breaking it. Im sure there is insurance. But, dropping an iPhone and breaking the screen has to be depressing, and there is always a fee to replace it. Not to mention, there's usually a limit on how many units you can get a year/term thru insurance. And, I don't really care about the iPhone. Like all of Apple's products, they're overpriced.....

Don't get me wrong though. They are always high quality and innovative, but the price just isn't justified in my opinion as a decent price (for any apple product) for what you get.

** Oh and did I mention... the dimensions on the iPhone are just as outrageous as the price. Forget that. I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a fancy phone that won't fit in my pocket. The Ampd Mobile version of the MotoQ can display Flash websites (do correct me if I am wrong) and is much smaller than the iPhone. I guess Apple was bsing when they claimed the iPhone is the first phone that can display the actual internet. Also, my Helio Ocean can display the actual internet also.

Adamant1988
June 30th, 2007, 05:03 AM
I didn't look over plan/rates but Im just scared of buying an iPhone and breaking it. Im sure there is insurance. But, dropping an iPhone and breaking the screen has to be depressing, and there is always a fee to replace it. Not to mention, there's usually a limit on how many units you can get a year/term thru insurance. And, I don't really care about the iPhone. Like all of Apple's products, they're overpriced.....

Don't get me wrong though. They are always high quality and innovative, but the price just isn't justified in my opinion as a decent price (for any apple product) for what you get.

** Oh and did I mention... the dimensions on the iPhone are just as outrageous as the price. Forget that. I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a fancy phone that won't fit in my pocket. The Ampd Mobile version of the MotoQ can display Flash websites (do correct me if I am wrong) and is much smaller than the iPhone. I guess Apple was bsing when they claimed the iPhone is the first phone that can display the actual internet. Also, my Helio Ocean can display the actual internet also.

I know how you feel, I had a freaking bad-*** iPod (40 gig, movies, the whole deal) and my girlfriend knocked it off the counter and cracked the screen... I was pretty upset. Since then I only buy the Nanos.. no moving parts.. less chance of breakage.

Taino
June 30th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I like the phone and if i had "money to burn" as they say i might buy one, but i dont have money to burn like that so i wont even consider it. But! as with everything, in time prices drop, pricing plans drop too and competition will also cause a lowering of the initial high prices, so in the far future (not near future) i may go for one. :KS

thecommodore
June 30th, 2007, 02:26 PM
The iPhone is expensive, sure.

But take a look at everything you're getting. It's not a cell phone anymore. It's basically a small iMac that can make cellphone calls. :D

With all the stuff Apple put on it, it must be expensive, or else I'd be wondering about the quality of it.

I didn't look over plan/rates but Im just scared of buying an iPhone and breaking it.

I was scared about my black 30gb iPod breaking, and I actually have dropped it twice from three feet high onto a cement floor, and it still works!

zero244
June 30th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Apples products have always been expensive since Jobs started the company.
My guess is some company oversees is producing the Iphone for probably 100 dollars........selling them to Apple for 150 dollars...........then Apple ups the price to 500 to 600 dollars and laughs all the way to the bank.
This price point is going to curtail teenagers from buying one.........your going to have to have a job to pick up one of these phones.
I think the Iphone and other multipurpose phones seems to be where cell phones are heading.
Cell phones is a very competetive business and Apple will have to stay on there toes.
I personally am done buying MS or Apple products.
If I could get a Iphone for 100 bucks I might buy one, but I dont see that happening.

FoolsGold_MKII
June 30th, 2007, 03:08 PM
This is the kind of gadget where you'd be so careful about make sure it isn't scratched/dropped/damaged, that you'd probably not even bother using it like a normal phone which would get knocked about in someone's pants I suppose. :)

In other words, the price point would affect how its used by people, which would defeat the purpose of using it in the rough-and-tumble lifestyles we have.

Old Pink
July 1st, 2007, 02:30 PM
If I could get a Iphone for 100 bucks I might buy one, but I dont see that happening.

I guess not many people would turn that down, and rightly so, but it's not realistically going to happen.

I'd happily pay the $499 or even $599 for it if there was a Pay as you Go option with topups, so I pay for what I use when I use it.

I mean, if you don't pay your contract, the iPhone actually locks out to the extent you can't listen to your music. It's not like you're paying the $60 minimum per month for use of your minutes/connectivity, as people are arguing. You're actually paying for the use of the phone. :(

dptxp
July 1st, 2007, 04:06 PM
Apple could not sell computers.
But they are selling phones at same price.
And people are queuing up.
SMART !!

Old Pink
July 1st, 2007, 10:08 PM

What gives you that impression?

insane_alien
July 1st, 2007, 10:18 PM
thats more than what i bought my car for.

godd4242
July 2nd, 2007, 10:52 PM

ahaha o lawdie lawd we've got ourselves a fanboy

Adamant1988
July 2nd, 2007, 11:13 PM
But they are selling phones at same price.
And people are queuing up.
SMART !!

Apple has 14% of all laptop sales in the United States.. but they can't sell computers... right...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/22/apple_snatches_14_percent_of_may_notebook_sales.ht ml

godd4242
July 2nd, 2007, 11:16 PM
The iPhone is expensive, sure.

But take a look at everything you're getting. It's not a cell phone anymore. It's basically a small iMac that can make cellphone calls. :D

With all the stuff Apple put on it, it must be expensive, or else I'd be wondering about the quality of it.

Wow

Way to convince yourself that 3000 is appropriate for a cell phone

It's nothing at all like a portable iMac, it can't even run Adobe Flash.

Adamant1988
July 2nd, 2007, 11:20 PM
Wow

Way to convince yourself that 3000 is appropriate for a cell phone

It's nothing at all like a portable iMac, it can't even run Adobe Flash.

There is a lot more to this thing than just being a 'phone'. I'm not sure what I would call it, but I think the iPhone name probably isn't appropriate for it. I am, however, awaiting the future generation of iPods based on this technology.

godd4242
July 2nd, 2007, 11:22 PM
Apples products have always been expensive since Jobs started the company.
My guess is some company oversees is producing the Iphone for probably 100 dollars........selling them to Apple for 150 dollars...........then Apple ups the price to 500 to 600 dollars and laughs all the way to the bank.
This price point is going to curtail teenagers from buying one.........your going to have to have a job to pick up one of these phones.
I think the Iphone and other multipurpose phones seems to be where cell phones are heading.
Cell phones is a very competetive business and Apple will have to stay on there toes.
I personally am done buying MS or Apple products.

iPhone costs approximately 200 to manufacture
Then of course, bunch of other companies take a cut

Apple makes 80 bucks per iPod, I expect the turnaround on the iPhone to be significantly higher since it's not new technology (unlike the polycarbonate iPod when it came out)

Time will tell most likely.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/28/business/worldbusiness/28scene.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Can't find my source on iPhone cost, it was on digg this morning ;_;

godd4242
July 2nd, 2007, 11:26 PM

Ok, firstly, the plan is expensive, but it's right in line with AT&T's typical pricing... you're getting unlimited web browsing via the EDGE network on ALL of the plans, as well as a lot of other unlimited goodies (rollover minutes, etc.) They're premium plans for sure.

The iPhone itself is a premium quality device, and you'll pay a premium price for it. It's not 'outrageous' it's just expensive, much like everything else Apple creates.

I expect cheaper versions will arise not too long after the hype dies down a bit... sort of like with the iPod.

My cellphone it self came free with my plan, and for my whole entire family it only costs ~500 a year.

Sure it's basic, but it has text messaging web browsing etc.

It's not unlimited, but I'd say 1k to 3k for two years is a helluva fine difference.

Adamant1988
July 2nd, 2007, 11:59 PM
My cellphone it self came free with my plan, and for my whole entire family it only costs ~500 a year.

Sure it's basic, but it has text messaging web browsing etc.

It's not unlimited, but I'd say 1k to 3k for two years is a helluva fine difference.

Awesome, now make that a two year plan... right there is $1000.

Look at what AT&T's plans for the iPhone offer... Unlimited web browsing, etc.

kamaboko
July 3rd, 2007, 12:38 AM
Apple has 14% of all laptop sales in the United States.. but they can't sell computers... right...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/22/apple_snatches_14_percent_of_may_notebook_sales.ht ml

for the month of May.

Griff
July 3rd, 2007, 02:42 AM
I really don't see the pricing as that bad. They could have sold it for $800 easy and the service plan is very competitive. That minimum plan mentioned includes unlimited data transfers and free mobile to mobile. In a world were cell phones have become necessary something like this was coming eventually. One thing apple is good at is creating easy to use techie gagets with great form factors. Though it does have enough issues that I may not be able to justify the purchase of one it is a very sleek and sexy device.

iPhone issues I have:

not 3g
battery cannot be replaced
no java or flash support (no games)
no text messaging
can't download songs on the fly (have to use itunes)
super duper smudgy screen (like the psp, only worse)
it's not a blackberry pearl (just kidding :D)
apple has already said the next iphone will be 3g (so i guess it's best to wait for that?)