PDA

View Full Version : What *box or WM do you use and why?

Freddy
June 29th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I have a question for those of you using just a WM (not Kde, Gnome or XFCE :)).

Which of different WMs out there do you use and why did you choose that one? Whats the difference between the different *boxes out there, I know that Blackbox is quite old but why do you use Flux instead of Openbox and vice versa? Do anyone still use IceWM, Afterstep, FVWM or any of the other older WMs?

I mostly use Enlightenment17, it looks good, it's fast and pretty easy to configure. I'm also playing around with Openbox, but mostly just for the heck of it

/Freddy

fuscia
June 29th, 2007, 10:01 PM
openbox 3.4 is awesome. a lot of times, i'll stop using openbox because it gets boring. there's nothing to do except use your computer.

starcraft.man
June 29th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I'm not a complicated guy, I like some flash and added functionality and Beryl has delivered that (I can't do without its expose feature anymore). As for why do I use it? Because its there and better than Aero, hows that for an answer? :p Honestly though, I find some of Beryl's plugins to be awesome like annotate, expose, zoom and the negative filter. They really are handy, the 3d effects don't hurt either.

I tried the new compiz fusion but its not for me really right now, it didn't seem to like my system or the way I configured it so I got rid of it and I'm back to reliable Beryl. I'm looking forward to the final product (or at least stable version) when its released with Gutsy.

Oh and if I have to choose one thats not 3d, simple metacity works for me (i've tried KDE, e17, xfce and had a flux and metacity is good enough).

Freddy
June 29th, 2007, 10:17 PM
openbox 3.4 is awesome. a lot of times, i'll stop using openbox because it gets boring. there's nothing to do except use your computer.
Haha, I like that answer, but why do you prefer Openbox instead of (for example) Fluxbox?

/Freddy

juxtaposed
June 29th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Openbox.

I does what it is supposed to, and it does it well.

fuscia
June 29th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Haha, I like that answer, but why do you prefer Openbox instead of (for example) Fluxbox?

/Freddy

fluxbox is cheap looking, to me. i don't like that panel, either. mostly, it just comes down to feel.

thedaemon
June 29th, 2007, 10:34 PM
I've been using ROX Desktop for a few days. Does exactly what I need it to and fast. Rox filer is pretty nifty stuff. Hopefully I will get all the kinks worked out and figure out how to do everything with it soon. I will let you guys know what I think. Mainly I have been a gnome guy as of recently, years ago I was a *box guy. (When pc's were sloooow).

Freddy
June 29th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I've been using ROX Desktop for a few days. Does exactly what I need it to and fast. Rox filer is pretty nifty stuff. Hopefully I will get all the kinks worked out and figure out how to do everything with it soon. I will let you guys know what I think. Mainly I have been a gnome guy as of recently, years ago I was a *box guy. (When pc's were sloooow).
Yeah please do that, it would be real fun hearing about your future adventures with the ROX Desktop, the ups, down, ins and outs, that sort of thing :).

regomodo
June 29th, 2007, 11:49 PM
fluxbox as i can't be arsed to learn how to get 2 wm's to work properly at the same time

fyllekajan
June 30th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Using Enlightenment DR16 (http://www.enlightenment.org/p.php?p=about/e16&l=en) here. It's light, fast and highly configurable. When configured properly, it's also a dream to work in.

heathen
June 30th, 2007, 12:35 AM
I use fluxbox... It was more intuitive to me when i started... so here i am, a year later, still using it

I agree about the tool bar in flux though.. I dont use it...

a12ctic
June 30th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Before beryl i usualy used Openbox, but I tend to like a heavier WM nowadays.

init1
June 30th, 2007, 01:09 AM
I have a question for those of you using just a WM (not Kde, Gnome or XFCE :)).

Which of different WMs out there do you use and why did you choose that one? Whats the difference between the different *boxes out there, I know that Blackbox is quite old but why do you use Flux instead of Openbox and vice versa? Do anyone still use IceWM, Afterstep, FVWM or any of the other older WMs?

I mostly use Enlightenment17, it looks good, it's fast and pretty easy to configure. I'm also playing around with Openbox, but mostly just for the heck of it

/Freddy
9wm. Fast and easy. And I like click to focus.

init1
June 30th, 2007, 01:11 AM
What WM do you use with it? Does it have its own?

tbroderick
June 30th, 2007, 01:48 AM
dwm

Fits my needs perfectly.

DR_K13
June 30th, 2007, 02:07 AM
fluxbox no slit, no icons .

ceelo
June 30th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Openbox. I did a reinstall of Arch one day and chose to install a WM over a DE, for the sake of having a minimal amount of "default" apps on the system.. So I just added Openbox and installed my apps from there. In the meantime I grew comfortable with it. I now have Xfce and KDE on the system, but I've generally stuck with Openbox. I can get everything done in it that I can in a DE. The only thing I miss out on is Beryl/Compiz but I hardly use that anymore.

I had previously used Fluxbox but after going back to it, it didn't look as clean as Openbox to me. Can't really put my finger on it, I think it's all the options in the menus that I never use.

IYY
June 30th, 2007, 03:19 AM
I use IceWM from time to time. It's fast, looks very cool with the right themes applied, and has great keyboard controls (Super+Space to get a commandline in the taskbar, Super+T for terminal) .

fuscia
June 30th, 2007, 03:47 AM
9wm. Fast and easy. And I like click to focus.

9wm is a blast. i always wanted to use the shower scene from psycho, as a wallpaper, when i've used it.

urukrama
June 30th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Openbox. It's fast, light and spartanly beautiful. Its menu editor (obmenu) is very handy, and its configuration GUI (obconf) just improved immensely.

I prefer it over fluxbox mainly on aesthetic grounds -- somehow I always feel awkward using fluxbox -- and because I don't need the extras fluxbox offers (transparency, tabbed windows, and that odd panel). Icewm is nice, and I've used it, but never stick with it.

RedSquirrel
June 30th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I prefer Fluxbox. Just built the latest SVN an hour ago.

I am now using it without a panel: just conky and fbpager. ;)

I have become very familiar with the Fluxbox configuration files, so it's pretty straightforward for me to make changes. I wouldn't mind playing with openbox, but I'm not really in the mood to learn its configuration and I don't especially like doing configuration through a GUI.

... and I like to have some transparency now and then.

Fluxbox can look "cheap" but in my opinion it really depends on what themes/styles one chooses. I don't mind using some old-looking themes on occasion because they make me feel nostalgic. :D

I was going to try IceWM (and I still might), but it looks like it's not being actively developed (or not as much as Fluxbox anyhow).

ynnhoj
June 30th, 2007, 06:37 PM
it's tough to pick a favourite, but i probably like openbox best. wmii and ratpoison are both great, too. lately i've just been using a basic gnome setup (so, metacity..) on my desktop, but my laptop has ratpoison as its window manager.

bonzodog
June 30th, 2007, 07:05 PM
I'm an Openbox user as well.

It's just so fast and light, yet is also very configurable. Before this, I used Xfce, and before that WindowMaker. I have always liked the right click root menu's on the desktop.

Freddy
July 1st, 2007, 01:49 AM
Thanks all for sharing your opinions about the WMs of your choice. I finally decided to get a functional Openbox, but came across some rather large problem. I would be eternally thankful if anyone of you took a look at my post in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=190476&page=33 :).

/Freddan

thedaemon
July 1st, 2007, 05:17 PM
What WM do you use with it? Does it have its own?

It has it's own called OroboROX, or you can use fluxbox or icewm or something like that too I think. It's worked with all my apps, so it seems good for me. Also very fast.

init1
July 1st, 2007, 07:23 PM
dwm

Fits my needs perfectly.
I have used dwm before. It's nice. There are times when I get tired of managing windows, and feel like using dwm or ion3 so that there is less chaos.

init1
July 1st, 2007, 07:30 PM
It has it's own called OroboROX, or you can use fluxbox or icewm or something like that too I think. It's worked with all my apps, so it seems good for me. Also very fast.
Thanks. I have CPX-Mini on my USB drive and that uses fluxbox with rox. Puppy uses JWM with ROX.

yabbadabbadont
July 2nd, 2007, 01:13 AM
I prefer Fluxbox. Just built the latest SVN an hour ago.

I pulled and built the latest SVN last night and ran into all sorts of X crashes because of it. I switched to the repo's version of Openbox as a test and I was not able to reproduce the crashes. Then I switched back to my svn fluxbox and could reproduce them. Just a heads up. If I had been thinking more clearly, it was very late, I would have gathered all the information so that I could submit a bug report on the fluxbox site. :?

Edit: Oh, just to be on topic, I usually prefer Fluxbox for the same reasons that RedSquirrel listed.

deanlinkous
July 2nd, 2007, 01:33 AM
sawfish - great wm!

RedSquirrel
July 2nd, 2007, 01:38 AM
@yabbadabbadont:

Thanks for the heads up. What revision was that you were using? It's up to 4956 (July 1st). I'm still on 4949 for now.

yabbadabbadont
July 2nd, 2007, 01:42 AM
@yabbadabbadont:

Thanks for the heads up. What revision was that you were using? It's up to 4956 (July 1st). I'm still on 4949 for now.

It was newer than 4949, but I don't think it was 4956. I want to say that it was 4953, but I'm not sure.

skroll
July 9th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I've been using wmii lately, which is nice because it keeps me productive without playing with windows.