PDA

View Full Version : C#+ASP.NET+AJAX Development

Majorix
June 29th, 2007, 07:51 PM
A friend of mine (a non-tech-person [if such a word existed he would get that title for sure]) just bought me a set of 3 books on C#, ASP.NET using C#, and AJAX with ASP.NET.

Of course he didn't know there is no VS on Ubuntu. Like I said he isn't that good with computers.

And the problem is, I don't know how I can use these languages under Ubuntu as well.

Perhaps this is a newbie question if I have to admit, but I am in desperate need.

If anyone can help with any point, I would be glad. Program names (if any exist) and/or links to sites would be great.

PS: Yeah I know of Mono but does it support ASP or AJAX too?

Thanks in advance,
Maj-

LaRoza
June 29th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Ajax is run in the browser, it works on any OS.

C# is Microsoft's version of Java, learn Java instead, it is more useful and not limited.
ASP.NET is a server side technology that uses a Microsoft server.

If you want to program, I suggest checking out my wiki, in my sig. It is new, but it should help.

-edit For server side scripting use PHP.

Majorix
June 29th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah I know a bit about what C# is and what it is not, I worked with it on Windows computers in a job recently. I also know a little about ASP.NET, though haven't necessarily done that much web-programming. And I heard it could be run on Apache somehow too, not only on Windows... Maybe someone here knows. AJAX is totally new to me though, thanks for clarifying me on that one.

I would pretty much love the way of Java, JSP or PHP etc, but the problem is I will study C# in school next year. In computer programming schools, they just assume you use Windows. I looked around for Java-related computer programming courses, but there aren't any in the vicinity I live. So I WILL HAVE TO work with C#.

These books I got from my friend are a big help, and I want to make the most out of them.

Any thoughts?

Majorix
July 1st, 2007, 03:53 PM
Any one?

aquiles_caigo
July 1st, 2007, 04:01 PM
pheraps you can try using Mono!
where you can program using microsoft .Net framework but in Linux!

Smygis
July 1st, 2007, 04:21 PM
Django!
http://www.djangoproject.com/

Whips php, Java and anything else realy hard.
Ofcource you have to learn Python. But Python is realy easy to learn.
http://www.python.org

And yes, Mono supports ASP.NET, C#, VB.NET and so on.
Monodevelop is an IDE.

emperon
August 5th, 2007, 03:00 PM
yes it supports ajax with the anthem.net and gaia ajax frameworks . Google them for more info

Note360
August 5th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Wow ok...

C# works very well in Mono.
ASP.Net can be run in Apache I did it before. Get the Mono-XSP2 set up apache (install apache2) and install hte apache2 plugin for xsp or mono. Then it should work. It is really very straight forward. Use Synaptic to find the stuff.

Good luck and if you want to learn C# go ahead dont let these guys stop you. Python is cool to though. java is nice to, but for some reason I get a kick out of running .exe files

pmasiar
August 5th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I would pretty much love the way of Java, JSP or PHP etc,

JSP/PHP are easy to start but is is easy to create messy hard to maintain code. Right way to do web apps is MVC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_view_controller)

Majorix
August 5th, 2007, 06:31 PM
yes it supports ajax with the anthem.net and gaia ajax frameworks . Google them for more info

They don't seem to be available through the repos. Are there ones that are available in the repos too?

Wow ok...

C# works very well in Mono.
ASP.Net can be run in Apache I did it before. Get the Mono-XSP2 set up apache (install apache2) and install hte apache2 plugin for xsp or mono. Then it should work. It is really very straight forward. Use Synaptic to find the stuff.

Good luck and if you want to learn C# go ahead dont let these guys stop you. Python is cool to though. java is nice to, but for some reason I get a kick out of running .exe files

Ok I installed the said plugins. I will look at them closer soon.

Note360
August 5th, 2007, 06:48 PM
They don't seem to be available through the repos. Are there ones that are available in the repos too?

Ok I installed the said plugins. I will look at them closer soon.

yeah jsut make a file (index.aspx) with the asp code in it navigat to localhost/index.aspx and it should work. Im not sure though.

emperon
August 10th, 2007, 06:25 AM
they are .net assemblies. usually copying the dll's to your application's bin folder is enough.You don'T have to use synaptic to install every dll's. Just google them. And if you're stuck I'll help you on ajax.