PDA

View Full Version : www.ubuntu.com

highenergy
June 29th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Hi,

I think ubuntu's main site www.ubuntu.com needs a better design. I find it complex and untidy. Don't understand me wrong but Canonical deserves a more fancy page. I tried to reach gutsy tribe 2 from main page but I couldn't find it under any link. I used google as the last resort to find gutsy.

Don't you think the page is untidy too?

regards
H.E.
:(

@trophy
June 29th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Hi,

I think ubuntu's main site www.ubuntu.com needs a better design. I find it complex and untidy. Don't understand me wrong but Canonical deserves a more fancy page. I tried to reach gutsy tribe 2 from main page but I couldn't find it under any link. I used google as the last resort to find gutsy.

Don't you think the page is untidy too?

regards
H.E.
:(

Agreed. And if Mark/Anyone else at Canonical is listening... I do web design, and would probably even pay you for the privilege of making the new ubuntu website... would look really good on my resume!

bonzodog
June 29th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Just so you know, no-one in the forums has influence or is anything to do with the site design for the homepage. If you want to make a point about it, post to the mailing lists ;).

I happen to think it is clear and well laid out.

Gutsy is a development level version of Ubuntu, and it would be unwise to link to it from the front page, as it's not openly released - it's for testing by those of you brave enough to use it.

To find it, you need to ask the right people, who will point you to the ISO site.

23meg
June 29th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I tried to reach gutsy tribe 2 from main page but I couldn't find it under any link.

I found the daily build with six clicks: Main Page --> Get Developing --> Technical Users --> Test pre-release versions --> Community ISO Testing --> Testing procedures

You may want to edit the Testing (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing) wiki page or a subpage of it to include links to the latest Tribe release if you feel it's too hard to find. Someone would have to do it with every release though.

forrestcupp
June 29th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I agree that in the Linux world, people aren't as concerned with making their websites visually appealing and easy to use.

But actually www.ubuntu.com is a lot better than most.