PDA

View Full Version : Does this computer on ebay look authentic? NEED HELP AND OPINIONS

linuxmann
June 29th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Its is a sony vaio laptop. Ive researched the listing for about three days now.It looks fine to me I just need people opinions and help to see whether this is a authentic laptop or not. I just dont want to be ripped off so i need your help. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150136652493&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D 150136652493%2509%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

kamaboko
June 29th, 2007, 01:51 PM
the seller has very good buyer responses....25,900 transactions with 99% approval. keep in mind that the price will most likely jump significantly the last minute of the sale. i do a lot of ebay. i feel pretty confident that it will sell for around the same price you can buy it locally.

Paul820
June 29th, 2007, 01:53 PM
For a start he's a power seller, over 25000 sales/purchases. Another thing is you don't have to make a payment for three months. Have a look through his/her feedback. You are protected with paypal.

linuxmann
June 29th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Another thing is you don't have to make a payment for three months.

Thats a credit card. i dont want to apply for that.

i saying all of this because i do not want to get a faulty or fake laptop. I looked at the specs, they look fine. but the concern i had was the os they offered in the listing and the one they offered in the description.

prizrak
June 29th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Stay away from Sony

linuxmann
June 29th, 2007, 01:59 PM
why is that?

Patrick-Ruff
June 29th, 2007, 02:01 PM
go for an ibm thinkpad.

why: because they are the strongest laptops I've ever seen.

sanderella
June 29th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Stay away from Sony

I agree with that. Sony stuff is really locked in to commercial copyright. I find their stuff doesn't work with anything else, and you have to start paying out for extras.

prizrak
June 29th, 2007, 03:18 PM
why is that?

They work like crap with Linux.

mips
June 29th, 2007, 03:50 PM
They work like crap with Linux.

Some people however are more concerned with how flashy something looks.

Fenryr
June 29th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Sony laptops are CRAP...Stay away from it...

I bought a brand new Vaio a couple years ago directly from Sony, and after only 3 WEEKS the entire MB melted down...baked the processor to a crisp, fried every chip in it, and did it while running on BATTERY power, not connected to the grid at all, online through a WiFi connection in a truck stop...Sony REFUSED to honor their own service agreement, saying that since I was a legal resident of FLORIDA at the time, I was exempted from any 'surge-related' failures due to the well known frequency of lightning strikes in the state...To add insult to injury, they THEN offered to SELL me a new motherboard, but wanted about 30% MORE than the entire damn LAPTOP cost in the FIRST place...I trashed the whole thing after arguing with them and their lawyers for over a year, since in the meantime I'd gotten a new machine anyway and moved to Australia...It's kinda hard to out-lawyer an american megacorporation from outside America if you're just another pissed off customer...Not worth the trouble...

But I'm not kidding, DO NOT buy a SONY computer of ANY kind, they're nothing but ****...

I might add that, at the time of the meltdown, I was sitting in a truck stop parking lot in ILLINOIS, on a clear summer night...No lightning, and no FLORIDA...I absolutely DESPISE lawyers...*spits*

linuxmann
June 29th, 2007, 04:21 PM
so these laptops are crap? i just thought i wanted to get something that good with that price.

linuxmann
June 29th, 2007, 08:57 PM
how about this one? is it authentic and worth it? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230145721008

macogw
June 29th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I don't get what you mean by "authentic." Do you mean "are those stock photos and not pics of the ACTUAL ones I'll get"? If so, then yes, those look like stock photos.

The Gateway looks fine on a glance, though the card reader won't work (no built-in card reader works on Linux for anything but SD/MMC, and that's hit-or-miss). You do realize that the Gateway's not a laptop, right? Two of the pics are just the screen, so that'd be an easy assumption.

prizrak
June 29th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Some people however are more concerned with how flashy something looks.

I'm assuming a person posting on a Linux forum would like the ability to use the said OS. Can't beat Apple when it comes to flashy either way. I do find ASUS machines to be quite nice looking and work pretty well with Linux.

Warpnow
June 29th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Why not buy one of the new dell ubuntus?