PDA

View Full Version : Dell d620 crashes when the laptop lid is closed

thejackal0101
June 29th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Hey guys,

Im unable to resume working on the laptop once i close and re-open the laptop lid. I have to power off the laptop altogether.

I've disabled power management and used gconf-editor to change the gnome power management settings ..i've set the action_ac_button_lid to nothing , but still having the same problem

Any suggestions , TIA

Cheers,

dca
June 29th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Do these problems (mostly) occur when switching from battery to AC?

Or, you're working on one or the other, close the lid, and it's dead?

thejackal0101
June 29th, 2007, 01:49 PM
It happens when running on AC and on Battery.

i even tried switching terminals ctrl+alt+f1 and then ctrl+alt+f7 , still remains blank

Cheers,

prizrak
June 29th, 2007, 01:49 PM
This needs to be moved to the help section.

Easiest way to troubleshoot is see if it happens in Windows as well, if it does it's a hardware issue if not, then I dunno.

Here are a couple of guesses, if you have it lock the system when you close the lid try just typing in the password in blank screen, I have that happen once in a while. Try turning off Beryl/Compiz. Also if you are using a binary driver try turning that off in favor of a FOSS one and vice versa.

thejackal0101
June 29th, 2007, 02:15 PM
this did not happen when i had windows xp installed.Even if i lock the machine and then close the lid im still unable to get anythin on the screen once i reopen it .,

i have an intel graphic card on the machine , if that helps

Cheers,

sanderella
June 29th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Have you tried Dell Linux forums? They are more likely to have the answer.
My Dell Inspiron 1300 closes down when the laptop lid is down, but opens again when I retype my password. I'm sure there is something on the Dell laptop system settings where you can fix that.

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board?board.id=sw_linux

thejackal0101
June 29th, 2007, 02:54 PM
thanks sanderella , will try there

i'm still searching google to see if i can find anything....

Cheers,