PDA

View Full Version : An idea for business

Jaxilian
June 29th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Just wondering. I had a thought about it, but never got to ask it so here goes.

Let's say I wanted to start a internetcafe with only linux computers, would I be able to use Ubuntu on the computers along with the name Ubuntu on stuff in the cafe? Like Ubuntu coffee or something.

In my town a place like that would be perfect, but I really don't have the skills or the money to start one. This was just a wondering about it if it was possible.
Who knows, I might win a million dollar on lottery on day and then this would be something I would wanna do.

:popcorn:

Outrunner
June 29th, 2007, 11:43 AM
I'm sure you could do that, but there's another problem. You see, there was a thread some time ago who tried this and, well, lets say it didn't work very well. He had a WinXP box and the rest with Ubuntu(I think that was it).

Tomosaur
June 29th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Yeah, but the other guy didn't advertise the fact that he was using Ubuntu.
To flodis: if you advertise the fact that you're using Ubuntu computers, and offer people 'getting started' lessons, then I'm sure you could be successful. However, make sure you plan everything beforehand. It's no use just putting the computers there and saying 'here's Ubuntu, get on with it'. You have to respect that most people have never seen Ubuntu before, and if you're not there to help them out, you may find that people give up wihout really giving it a chance.

I would reccommend that you set your Ubuntu PCs up to be as brainless as possible. Put shortcuts for every common app - browsers, office software etc - visible on the desktop, not just as little buttons on the panels.

I would also think very carefully about whether you want all of the eye-candy or not. It could be a real bonus for your customers, provided you make it obvious how it works (maybe set the desktop background to a custom image with instructions for spinning the cube etc). You should also take into account that the eye-candy is generally only beta software for the time being, even though for many people, it works flawlessly.

So anyway, if you effectively advertise your Ubuntu systems, and make it clear that there are no Windows machines (they don't tend to mix well, the last guy found that by offering Windows machines alongside Ubuntu ones, people preferred the Windows ones, mostly because they were unaware what Ubuntu was, and hadn't been told to expect Ubuntu machines).

smoker
June 29th, 2007, 12:40 PM
have a look at this link:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=12714&start=24

check the setup cost! this guy uses puppy, but i'm sure a similar project could be done with most any linux distro:-)

prizrak
June 29th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Internet Cafe on Linux wouldn't work all that well right now. One of the reasons people go to those cafes is for either LAN or online gaming and unless you are going to only have titles that run on Linux (and WoW the most popular MMORPG on the planet does not run even in Wine) you won't be getting too far. Of course you could have a mixed environment.

Outrunner
June 29th, 2007, 02:15 PM
(and WoW the most popular MMORPG on the planet does not run even in Wine)

LOL I'm sorry but that is just so wrong... It does work, it has mostly gold ratings on the WINE AppDB. Of course, it's not perfect, but in general, it works.

az
June 29th, 2007, 02:17 PM

Let's say I wanted to start a internetcafe with only linux computers, would I be able to use Ubuntu on the computers

Yes, absolutely.

along with the name Ubuntu on stuff in the cafe? Like Ubuntu coffee or something.

No. Well, maybe. You would have to check with Caninical as per the Ubuntu trademark policy:
http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

Quote:
Permission from us is necessary to use any of the Trademarks under any circumstances other than those specifically permitted above. These include:

Any commercial use

Use on or in relation to a software product that includes or is built on top of a product supplied by us, if there is any commercial intent associated with that product.

Use in a domain name or URL.

Use for merchandising purposes, e.g. on t-shirts and the like.

Use of a name which includes the letters BUNTU in relation to computer hardware or software.

Services relating to any of the above.

Tomosaur
June 29th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Internet Cafe on Linux wouldn't work all that well right now. One of the reasons people go to those cafes is for either LAN or online gaming and unless you are going to only have titles that run on Linux (and WoW the most popular MMORPG on the planet does not run even in Wine) you won't be getting too far. Of course you could have a mixed environment.

Yes, "one" of the reasons.

The majority of customers I've seen use the net cafes specifically to browse the net, and in many cases to make use of the printing facilities. Sure there are gamers, but the majority of gamers nowadays just use their own PCs to play games.

A net cafe in the right place, advertising to the right people, could be very successful using Ubuntu machines.

Adamant1988
June 29th, 2007, 06:09 PM

Let's say I wanted to start a internetcafe with only linux computers, would I be able to use Ubuntu on the computers along with the name Ubuntu on stuff in the cafe? Like Ubuntu coffee or something.

In my town a place like that would be perfect, but I really don't have the skills or the money to start one. This was just a wondering about it if it was possible.
Who knows, I might win a million dollar on lottery on day and then this would be something I would wanna do.

:popcorn:

Actually, if you were serious about doing that a bank might be willing to loan you the cash. Provided you provide them with a 5-year business plan and other info that shows that the bank is making a good investment by giving you money.

Setting up an internet cafe actually wouldn't be terribly difficult, skill wise, the money would be the biggest problem. Also, depending on how you market you might want to push it as an alternative to owning an expensive PC and paying for the connection, and all that. You could also allow the free use of computers while providing another service... maybe food? Coffee? Computer Repair? There are really a lot of open options.

ynnhoj
June 29th, 2007, 07:34 PM
there's a place in toronto i've been meaning to visit: linuxcaffe (http://www.linuxcaffe.ca/). i haven't really had the chance to go by there, since it's on the other side of town (i stumbled upon it late one night, after they had closed).

prizrak
June 29th, 2007, 09:48 PM
LOL I'm sorry but that is just so wrong... It does work, it has mostly gold ratings on the WINE AppDB. Of course, it's not perfect, but in general, it works.

My apologies I suppose I'm a tad behind the times then :) I don't game on PC's (only Wii once in a while) so I don't keep up :oops:

Yes, "one" of the reasons.

The majority of customers I've seen use the net cafes specifically to browse the net, and in many cases to make use of the printing facilities. Sure there are gamers, but the majority of gamers nowadays just use their own PCs to play games.

A net cafe in the right place, advertising to the right people, could be very successful using Ubuntu machines.
I guess that would be demographic dependent since I can only speak from my own experience (and some sites I frequent) it would appear that gaming is one of the major concerns. Of course if the area consists mostly of people who just need to get on the web Ubuntu would be quite a bit better than any type of Windows.

Although there is also competition to consider. If another cafe springs up that uses Windows and has games as well as normal internet access it might very well steal the customers.

Tomosaur
June 29th, 2007, 09:58 PM
My apologies I suppose I'm a tad behind the times then :) I don't game on PC's (only Wii once in a while) so I don't keep up :oops:

I guess that would be demographic dependent since I can only speak from my own experience (and some sites I frequent) it would appear that gaming is one of the major concerns. Of course if the area consists mostly of people who just need to get on the web Ubuntu would be quite a bit better than any type of Windows.

Although there is also competition to consider. If another cafe springs up that uses Windows and has games as well as normal internet access it might very well steal the customers.

It's true, of course, but Ubuntu systems have lower running costs, so I assume the prices for the Ubuntu systems would be at least a little cheaper.

Jaxilian
July 2nd, 2007, 09:30 AM
I just have a feeling that it would be a success. If the place have like a Ubuntu theme to it and with nice comfy Ubuntu stations to sit at....hard to imagine why it wouldn't be a success. With all the features that Ubuntu 7.04 has at the moment, it is the time for a place like that.

Outrunner
July 2nd, 2007, 10:25 AM
I just have a feeling that it would be a success. If the place have like a Ubuntu theme to it and with nice comfy Ubuntu stations to sit at....hard to imagine why it wouldn't be a success. With all the features that Ubuntu 7.04 has at the moment, it is the time for a place like that.

And I have a feeling it would be a disaster. It's not your logic that's flawed, however, it's other people's logic, the ones that will use those Ubuntu boxes. People(most of them) are simply too ignorant to use a different OS these days, either that, or they are unwilling to learn, whatever amazing features said OS may offer. If less people were ignorant/unwilling to learn something new, then maybe it would work. So that is why I don't think this will work, take it as you will.

LookTJ
July 2nd, 2007, 10:28 AM
And I have a feeling it would be a disaster. It's not your logic that's flawed, however, it's other people's logic, the ones that will use those Ubuntu boxes. People(most of them) are simply too ignorant to use a different OS these days, either that, or they are unwilling to learn, whatever amazing features said OS may offer. If less people were ignorant/unwilling to learn something new, then maybe it would work. So that is why I don't think this will work, take it as you will.
The majority in America are simply too ignorant to try something new. I don't know about the majority of the world though.

lisati
July 2nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
The majority in America are simply too ignorant to try something new. I don't know about the majority of the world though.

America doesn't have a monopoly on people being "too ignorant". A group I sometimes help with video stuff here in New Zealand were asking me recently if I had a spare memory stick so they could transfer a presentation from an office desktop to a laptop. The strange thing is that they have a wireless network they could have used - and these good folks have degrees! Never mind, they managed to sort it out without the network....

LookTJ
July 2nd, 2007, 10:46 AM
America doesn't have a monopoly on people being "too ignorant". A group I sometimes help with video stuff here in New Zealand were asking me recently if I had a spare memory stick so they could transfer a presentation from an office desktop to a laptop. The strange thing is that they have a wireless network they could have used - and these good folks have degrees! Never mind, they managed to sort it out without the network....
What I mean is that ever since Microsoft came into this business world, all Americans been is being lazy and ignorant. Microsoft's model is "ignorance is bliss".

*Note: if this post is bashing or offending, please pm me to remove the contents**

Mathiasdm
July 2nd, 2007, 10:48 AM
Just make sure everything is SIMPLE.

If it's obvious from the start how you can launch the web browser (call it 'Web browser', not Firefox), and how you can launch games, it might work out.

If you don't, people will wonder what's with the wierd interface.

lisati
July 2nd, 2007, 10:51 AM
What I mean is that ever since Microsoft came into this business world, all Americans been is being lazy and ignorant. Microsoft's model is "ignorance is bliss".

*Note: if this post is bashing or offending, please pm me to remove the contents**

That makes sense........

Jaxilian
July 2nd, 2007, 12:21 PM

It would work in Sweden for sure. In the US? Well I have to say nothere. They aren't there just yet.

Of course place would have it all as simple as possible...if it existed. Every machine locked down so they wouldn't crash, but still have a nice interface.
It wouln't be called Ubuntu cafe or something like that, but still the inside would have a strong presence of the Ubuntu logo.

Some of the computers are configured with the latest games through Wine or Cedega so it would attract some gamers as well.
What ya think?

Tomosaur
July 2nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
It would work in Sweden for sure. In the US? Well I have to say nothere. They aren't there just yet.

Of course place would have it all as simple as possible...if it existed. Every machine locked down so they wouldn't crash, but still have a nice interface.
It wouln't be called Ubuntu cafe or something like that, but still the inside would have a strong presence of the Ubuntu logo.

Some of the computers are configured with the latest games through Wine or Cedega so it would attract some gamers as well.
What ya think?

To be honest, I would steer clear of using the Ubuntu logo (not only is it trademarked, but it just doesn't make a lot of sense if you're not an Ubuntu user). Instead, I would focus my attentions on making the room(s) consistent with the 'Ubuntu' look and feel. Use the human colour theme, put in some nice comfy chairs in the waiting areas, some more 'realistic' chairs at the computer desks, make the rooms feel airy and relaxed (big windows are good for this), and make sure everything feels 'friendly'. I've been in internet cafes before and the vast majority have simply been 'rooms with computers'. I don't think I've ever been in one which I could say was a nice environment, so that would be my number one priority.

Also, like a previous poster, I would recommend you take time to 'dumb down' the machines. Use desktop shortcuts for all of the 'regularly used' applications, and make sure the menus are well organised and not too cluttered.

Jaxilian
July 2nd, 2007, 01:17 PM
To be honest, I would steer clear of using the Ubuntu logo (not only is it trademarked, but it just doesn't make a lot of sense if you're not an Ubuntu user). Instead, I would focus my attentions on making the room(s) consistent with the 'Ubuntu' look and feel. Use the human colour theme, put in some nice comfy chairs in the waiting areas, some more 'realistic' chairs at the computer desks, make the rooms feel airy and relaxed (big windows are good for this), and make sure everything feels 'friendly'. I've been in internet cafes before and the vast majority have simply been 'rooms with computers'. I don't think I've ever been in one which I could say was a nice environment, so that would be my number one priority.

Also, like a previous poster, I would recommend you take time to 'dumb down' the machines. Use desktop shortcuts for all of the 'regularly used' applications, and make sure the menus are well organised and not too cluttered.

Good idea.:D

Warpnow
July 2nd, 2007, 08:36 PM
I doubt Ubuntu would see it as profitable to sue you.

Jaxilian
July 3rd, 2007, 06:53 AM
I doubt Ubuntu would see it as profitable to sue you.

I think it would be good commercial for them. Since they don't advertise anything about Ubuntu themselves.
I would like to see Ubuntu commercial on TV or something. That would help a little. I guess it's too expensive for them as it is right now.

Warpnow
July 3rd, 2007, 01:01 PM
If an Ubuntu book with a CD were sold in stores with the other software for $10-$20 that would be better advertising than a commercial.