PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu: From Hoary to Fiesty and further...

mthakur2006
June 29th, 2007, 10:53 AM
What changes do you think have come about in Ubuntu since the first release? Has it improved or not? What has your experiences been?

Personally, I have been using Ubuntu since Breezy and since then, I have doing clean installs of each version. IMO, Dapper had the best usability, stability, but not so much flexibility (e.g. installing AIGLX was a PITA). It was (and still is) a workhorse, it will keep doing 'normal' stuff for ever.

The most glaring change came in Edgy Eft: the splash screen was modernised, new sounds etc....all very flashy but not quite stable. Fiesty was the smoothed version of Edgy and it has been stable so far and still flexible, I have only had two crashes since, and that was in CompizFusion yesterday but that's another story.

What do you think?

FoolsGold_MKII
June 29th, 2007, 11:01 AM
I've used Dapper, Edgy and Feisty.

Dapper - seemed OK but bored me, and it wasn't enough to make me bother using in instead of Windows.

Edgy - seemed much better, worked with it for a fair while but still didn't stick with it. My webcam was detected in Dapper but didn't work properly in Edgy.

Feisty - sex on legs. Works with all my hardware including webcam. Converted from Windows due to its goodness.

prizrak
June 29th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I started off with Warty (that was the first release before Hoary btw) and I gotta say that it's like going from DOS to OS X Leopard in 2 years. Warty was a great release and one that got me to go Linux 100% on my laptop (desktop I didn't bother screwing with because I was gaming on it) but Feisty is just so much better. Over the years things that I have noticed change:
1) ALPS Glidepoint support - that sucked on Warty and Hoary took me a few months to get it working. As soon as Breezy made it to my laptop it worked magically.
2) Network-Manager - using WPA supplicant with the regular Gnome-Network-Manager is beyond a pain in the butt.
3) Compiz/Beryl support out of the box - was so much pain on Dapper and I Edgy didn't work right on one of my laptops, on Feisty works no problem
4) Out of the box tablet - while I don't much care about it anymore (I still use my convertible but usually as a laptop) it was a nice addition to Feisty. The entries have been in the xorg.conf since Dapper (if not Breezy) but the driver wasn't installed and now it comes as part of the distro.