PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Why do you call the button with the windows logo a "super" key?

mthakur2006
June 29th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I have been bugged by this question from time immemorial....can anyone explain why please.
Thanks.

HotShotDJ
June 29th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Because on a Linux system, we cannot bring ourselves to call it a "Windows" key, and "Super" is as good a name as any. :)

In seriousness, I really don't know how it came to be known as that. I always called it the "command" key.

WalmartSniperLX
June 29th, 2007, 09:03 AM
I call it the Window key. Im not referring to the Windows trademark because I'm not saying it plurally, unless Window is a trademark of Microsoft also :D

Steveway
June 29th, 2007, 09:05 AM
It's called the Super-Key because it looks like a cape.
Cape--Superman-- You get the idea. :)

mthakur2006
June 29th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Because on a Linux system, we cannot bring ourselves to call it a "Windows" key, and "Super" is as good a name as any. :)

In seriousness, I really don't know how it came to be known as that. I always called it the "command" key.

Yes i agree but the word choice of 'super' just defies logic. They should have called it something like the 'useless' key or something; after all linux devs do have a humorous side to them. If you do not know what i mean, try
apt-get moo or
sudo aptitude moo -v or
sudo aptitude moo -vv and so on. :D :lol:

mthakur2006
June 29th, 2007, 09:08 AM
It's called the Super-Key because it looks like a cape.
Cape--Superman-- You get the idea. :)

oh yer lol
but if i saw that anywhere i would guess it looks like a microsoft logo rather than a cape lol

FoolsGold_MKII
June 29th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong...

It's called a Super key because not all keyboards have a Windows logo, but they may still contain the key with a logo for something else. Sun keyboards have a key in the same location with the Sun logo instead, but it's considered a Super key by Linux. Keeps things universal.

macogw
June 29th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Adding to FoolsGold, the Apple key serves the same function as the Window/Super/Sun key as well. I hooked up on old IBM keyboard at work, and it's connected to a MacBook, so I'm using the Super key for all the "Apple" shortcuts.

mthakur2006
July 8th, 2007, 09:45 PM
kk thanks for that :D

Warpnow
July 9th, 2007, 12:08 AM
I call it the windows key still.