PDA

View Full Version : Help this lost soul find the light!

mickbuntu
June 29th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Social forums is a nice idea but does not yet have enough people so am just posting in here. I need ubuntuers opinions, what do you think? I love Science and Technology and dislike advanced math. Actually very creative when it comes to new ideas and have tendency to come up with something new. Like want to apply for a patent! hehe. Anyhow, currently looking in pursuing either three degrees at my old age. I am a quarter old so you could guess my age lol.

Continuing Education:

Choice 1:

Multimedia TV productions and internship {On live set} professional.

Choice 2:

Engineering (my dream was always to be at Nasa! But came to realize it may never happen. No matter how much fascination with robotics or wanting to get into robotics.

Choice 3:

Computer Science

tehhaxorr
June 29th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Your seriously letting your future rest on the results of a poll voted upon by people who don't know you or what you're about??? Sounds freaking stupid to me...

mickbuntu
June 29th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Your seriously letting your future rest on the results of a poll voted upon by people who don't know you or what you're about??? Sounds freaking stupid to me...

No, just an opinion I will use strictly my head obviously not what others think. Based on the limited information, do not see anything wrong with external thoughts. Not like rolling a dice here.

1. Multimedia : Seems very exciting.
2. Engineering (continuing): Is nice but all the math.
3: Computer Science never taken it what others who taken it think of the major?

steven8
June 29th, 2007, 08:26 AM

N,o just an opinion I will use strictly my head obviously not what others think. Based on the limited information, do not see anything wrong with external thoughts. Not like rolling a dice here.

Relax, tehhaxorr, I don't believe mick will be duty bound to base the remainder of his life on this poll. Anyway, I voted for media production, as it is what I really wish I had chosen to go into when I was young enough. Good luck, Mick!

mickbuntu
June 29th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Relax, tehhaxorr, I don't believe mick will be duty bound to base the remainder of his life on this poll. Anyway, I voted for media production, as it is what I really wish I had chosen to go into when I was young enough. Good luck, Mick!

Correct,

I would never, repeat never use a pole to base my life on. I spoke with someone at home tonight. They say that "multimedia" might be nice for me too. Of course they said "it is up to you!" I know that. Why do people think I will only base my life on what they say?! heh, totally nonsense. Continuing to pursue Engineering (taken electronics home based) in the offline College. It would mean doing tons of advanced math. Multimedia and keeping of with current events enjoy very much. Did not speak with the advisor yet.

And Thank You for wishing me good luck Steven8 for the kind words.

Corrections:

The course that I took in Electronics never went beyond basic math, well ok a little bit of formulas. But not Calculus that show up on the local institutes College. For Engineering.

Adamant1988
June 29th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Social forums is a nice idea but does not yet have enough people so am just posting in here. I need ubuntuers opinions, what do you think? I love Science and Technology and dislike advanced math. Actually very creative when it comes to new ideas and have tendency to come up with something new. Like want to apply for a patent! hehe. Anyhow, currently looking in pursuing either three degrees at my old age. I am a quarter old so you could guess my age lol.

Continuing Education:

Choice 1:

Choice 2:

Engineering (my dream was always to be at Nasa! But came to realize it may never happen. No matter how much fascination with robotics or wanting to get into robotics.

Choice 3:

Computer Science

... IF you don't like math then the last two are completely and utterly out. They both require a very strong knowledge of Math.

mickbuntu
June 29th, 2007, 09:10 AM
... IF you don't like math then the last two are completely and utterly out. They both require a very strong knowledge of Math.

Despite of that was thinking might be able to absorb it all. But after thinking for final few hours came to the conclusion. It is just unreasonable for me to even sign up for the Engineering course. Although it is shame as would be do well if it were not for the "Advanced math".

The Uni also offers none technical health care programs but do not fit into them either. Balance between exciting and rewarding might be a balance between some sort of Computer / media field.

*Reasonable Potentials:
1. Certain computer fields.
2. Audio / Video production field.

*Rewards:

The multimedia offers internship.
The multimedia major is not scarce for a job opening.

Anyway good night !
Am off to rest had a long day or should say few days! Was researching to make a wise choice. Have few more weeks before new applications are accepted. That is have a bit more time to make my final decision in selecting a major.

kevinlyfellow
June 29th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I disliked math to... I decided to study astrophysics, how does that make sense?

I'd suggest studying engineering or physics. Working at NASA isn't as far off as you think, they have tons of internships (for undergrads) and if you go to the right schools, you can attach yourself to NASA funded projects. If you really want to get a job working on space technology, I suggest going for a masters in physics and working for companies like Aerospace or northrup-grumman. Aerospace, of course, is the company that keeps the gps satellites in orbit and working, Northrup is building the James-Webb space telescope. If it doesn't work out, switch majors. One thing you should not do: wait until you figure out what you truly want, it could never happen!

pseudonym
June 29th, 2007, 09:25 AM
If you like computers but hate maths then you could do something like system administration, which doesn't have to involve a computer science degree. Or, if you're also a bit creatively inclined, there's also a future in web design to consider.

Kent84
June 29th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I've just finished my masters in physics, about to move onto my Ph.D. I took a few computer science papers during my undergrad years. I have many friends who are doing/have done engineering degrees and have also tutored many first year engineering students. From my experience, in the latter years of both engineering and computer science there is a fair amount of math involved. Of course there is more if you are inclined to do theoretical topics (such as A.I) rather than application programming courses.

cunawarit
June 29th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I would personally rather shoot myself that study media production. But you love it, right? That's what matters.

FWIW, I studied Mathematics and Computer Science, and then did a PhD on Computer Science.

FoolsGold_MKII
June 29th, 2007, 10:02 AM
I studied Computer System Engineering at a Uni which has a reputation for focusing on the practical side of engineering moreso than the theory. Not to say there wasn't theory involved, but we had a leaning towards how to apply engineering to a problem as opposed to simply following case studies or, well... theories.

Engineering isn't always about maths, but it depends on what particular institution you decide to go to. Some are better or worse than others with regards to it, but I guarantee you the outcomes are worth it. At the very least you'll be considered "hard-core" as opposed to having done something fluffy. :)

aimran
June 29th, 2007, 10:29 AM
As a final year mechanical engineering student I hope I can share my experience with you.

I think we are similiar. I'm creative, artistic and most importantly love sci&tech to bits. I hate math :D! Mechanical Engineering (and maybe Aeronautical) is perfect for me (and you); except:

1. Don't go into the consultancy line. You're most likely not gonna use your creativity - you just have to satisfy a criteria set by the client and apply simple rule of thumbs (where's the challenge?). I'm currently training with a building services company and all they ever do is recalculate stuff everytime the client changes building design or as the authorities see fit. I can imagine other lines of work (say oil and gas) would be the same - apply rule of thumb, check for compliance, approve.

2. The above kind of work can get repetitive, leading you to lose interest. We creative types don't exactly have a long attention span.

The perfect field of engineering I'd say is Design Engineering. You need to have a strong multidisciplinary engineering degree (Mechanical is good for starters) and go find work in a design/manufacturing company OR an engineering solutions company.

Good Luck!

@trophy
June 29th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I voted Media Production because that was my major. CIS was my minor. (I know, I know... you don't have to flame me, CompSci people... CIS is a total joke... but it's gotten me some jobs, which was its purpose.) Anyway back to the matter at hand, the reason I started in Media Production was because I wanted to open my own recording studio, which won't happen for a VERY long time at the rate I'm going, and at any rate going to college took up all my time and I haven't even really been into the music scene in a long, long time now.

Don't let this happen to you. If there's something you're passionate about, use whatever dirty, underhanded tricks you can to get into those classes, even if there's a 3 year waiting list. Blackmail the professor or something. Seriously... the entire academic system is based on the desire to avoid work, so whenever a dept secretary tells you she can't do something, do some digging, find out exactly how she's lying, and be sure to swing by a week later to rub her nose in it.

Oh, and btw the media production degree is useful in approximately 0% of career situations. Any media field will make you start at the bottom (master control at 3 am, anyone) with the rest of them, who started 4 years before you because they didn't go to school. So pick a good minor.

SlayerMan
June 29th, 2007, 06:03 PM
If you really don't like maths, go for media production.

Tundro Walker
June 30th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Try looking at this from a different perspective...

What is it about those 3 subjects that fascinates you? Is it the problem-solving, or maybe trying to do something nobody has done before, or trying to solve problems others could not?

A lot of folks focus on degrees, because that's what colleges teach and give you. But, people have underlying ambitions that make them good at things...sometimes they're things that are totally unrelated, but because of the way the person is wired, they can become good with both.

The example I will use is a friend of mine who didn't really know what he wanted to do before going to college. He finally just went out and worked for a while, and after a few years realized that, while he was good with computers and some programming, it wasn't computers and programming that fascinated him, it was the ability to solve problems and get things done with them that really fascinated him. So, instead of going for a degree in Computer Science, he went for a degree in Industrial Engineering...basically, a degree that let's him analyze processes and make them better for companies. He's very happy with his choice, because it matches his underlying ambition. He still likes computers and programming, but only as a means to an end (they help him analyze things faster and automate solutions). He doesn't like them as an end in and of themselves.

I hope that made sense, because it's basically the psychology behind the skills assessment tests you might take for the military or from a career counsellor. Instead of focusing on what skills you might like to have, they focus on what motivates you. Because it doesn't matter how much skill you have, if you're not motivated to go to a job and use those skills, then the money you paid at college to get those skills was wasted.

mickbuntu
June 30th, 2007, 03:20 AM
<Edit>

Thank you all <insert here> for all your thoughts appreciate it very much. have taken out of the library A "College" help book. That is not the real name of it but it is meant to help make informed decisions. It is not meant to change my choice but add extra "insight". I made a list of all what do like, able todo, could work under certain circumstances. The book advises not to put down a major because of its complexity. Going to discuss with my counselor what they think. After which will brain storm one last time. It is very difficult to make a right choice here as all the effort will go into it. After an outcome is what would like.

Don't believe last time!

Think will be 120 before decide :-) ok, ok, not 120 after the orientation maybe? Although it might be deceiving based on words alone. One thing for sure will shortly have a starting plan.

mickbuntu
June 30th, 2007, 03:26 AM
1. Passion.
2. Coming up with new ideas solutions.
3. Finding ways to snap out of old ways a creation.
4. Creative

That was one or more of critieria.

Try looking at this from a different perspective...

What is it about those 3 subjects that fascinates you? Is it the problem-solving, or maybe trying to do something nobody has done before, or trying to solve problems others could not?

A lot of folks focus on degrees, because that's what colleges teach and give you. But, people have underlying ambitions that make them good at things...sometimes they're things that are totally unrelated, but because of the way the person is wired, they can become good with both.

The example I will use is a friend of mine who didn't really know what he wanted to do before going to college. He finally just went out and worked for a while, and after a few years realized that, while he was good with computers and some programming, it wasn't computers and programming that fascinated him, it was the ability to solve problems and get things done with them that really fascinated him. So, instead of going for a degree in Computer Science, he went for a degree in Industrial Engineering...basically, a degree that let's him analyze processes and make them better for companies. He's very happy with his choice, because it matches his underlying ambition. He still likes computers and programming, but only as a means to an end (they help him analyze things faster and automate solutions). He doesn't like them as an end in and of themselves.

I hope that made sense, because it's basically the psychology behind the skills assessment tests you might take for the military or from a career counsellor. Instead of focusing on what skills you might like to have, they focus on what motivates you. Because it doesn't matter how much skill you have, if you're not motivated to go to a job and use those skills, then the money you paid at college to get those skills was wasted.

slimdog360
June 30th, 2007, 04:02 AM
If you seriously dislike math then scrap the engineering idea. If you just arn't all that great at math but don't mind learning then engineering is the go. If you really want to work at nasa then you should make it happen.

Fenryr
June 30th, 2007, 04:43 AM

Continuing Education:

Choice 1:

Choice 2:

Choice 3:

Computer Science

Well, if you dislike advanced math, you can scratch the LAST two off your list...Doesn't look like it LEAVES much, does it? *g*