PDA

View Full Version : I have returned to Linux

FoolsGold_MKII
June 29th, 2007, 03:21 AM
I took about two months off after moving back to Windows and trashing my original forum account. I originally left due to inconsistencies between what I wanted out of Linux and what I felt I needed out of my computing experience. Much has changed during that time though.

You really do gain an appreciation for the features in Linux when you've had time to experience both sides of the operating system world. I was very often wondering what it was that I really needed Windows for, and during that time I took steps to evaluate the things I needed as opposed to wanted. I always wanted to return permanently to Linux (I hate dual-booting and juggling two operating systems, I'd much prefer the one OS to spend my time with), so I did a little thinking about the issue, and you know what I discovered? I needed Windows for games... and that was pretty much it.

BUT!...

In those two months, I realized that the high-end games weren't really doing anything for me anymore; they just weren't as fun as they used to be. However, I was having fun with things like Urban Terror, Freespace 2 and many other games which are not only free but more importantly cross-platform, and hence worked in Linux. With this fact, I decided that I had enough gaming bliss to satisfy my purposes, and so my leash with Windows was severed... mostly. I still have access to XP in a VMWare session for the occasional product I figure can't be used in Wine, but that's much more appropriate than dedicating an entire partition just for a rarely used system, at least in my opinion.

As a technical dude, I like computers. I like to learn, and with Windows I feel I've learnt just about all I can from it. Linux provides a new avenue of progression, plus it is much better designed (as is well known). There's no problem I can't fix anymore, but I had a gaming habit, which was enough to make me go back to Windows. By culling this habit and filling the hole left behind with the passion for learning more about Linux, I figure that's a productive switch, don't you? If you're gonna get addicted to something, make it productive! :)

(Oh yeah, Compiz Fusion kinda helped too. Funny how fluff technology attracts people, even technically minded individuals such as myself - the WOW starts NOW yo! ) \\:D/

SZF2001
June 29th, 2007, 03:29 AM
This reminds me - not enough people know about VirtualBox, it seems. Just a few minor tweaks, and I can have my Ubuntu box hosting Windows playing only games.

It works for me, it does.

Paul820
June 29th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Welcome back :p I love games aswell but i have a playstation for that. I have been using Ubuntu now for 2 months or so, wiped windows off my laptop, never looked back. Start using your computer for computing, there is so much more to do than playing games.

fuscia
June 29th, 2007, 03:35 AM
I have returned to Linux

[john]i'll alert the media.[/gielgud]

starcraft.man
June 29th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Welcome back :p I love games aswell but i have a playstation for that. I have been using Ubuntu now for 2 months or so, wiped windows off my laptop, never looked back. Start using your computer for computing, there is so much more to do than playing games.

Amen, I've gotten thousands of hours of gaming out of my ps2, was the best investment I ever made. Maybe even the best console of all time... its certainly everywhere. I am somewhat undecided about next gen, though since I don't like MS and I am not a kid that needs kiddie games my options seem to be leading me to the same place again.

Oh and nice to have more people around (especially coming back), have fun with Ubuntu.

FoolsGold_MKII
June 29th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Indeed.

I'm not much of a console fan, I mainly play first-person shooters and figure a controller sucks for such games. Still, there's enough to keep me happy, and that's why people play games in the first place no?

starcraft.man
June 29th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Indeed.

I'm not much of a console fan, I mainly play first-person shooters and figure a controller sucks for such games. Still, there's enough to keep me happy, and that's why people play games in the first place no?

I think the worlds Halo Cult is just waiting to jump on you for that. I will promptly take cover behind a Protoss shield to protect myself from the onslaught :p.

I admit though, I never got comfortable with a controller for playing shooters. Nor an RTS, it boggles my mind why anyone would play an RTS with a controller... especially when I see all the ways the interface has to dumbed down to get it feasible.

Neobuntu
June 29th, 2007, 06:26 AM
alert the media.

Ha! That's funny but I hope you mean that kindly.

Be easy on the guy. He makes very good points.

How many games do you need?

You can dual boot.

Why not just find a native open application to replace the Windows one?

You can use a virtualizer (or just WINE) to avoid dual booting.

Also, Why would I get a console when the games are $50 each compared to free and the graphics are worse than my $15 old Nvidia legacy card?

TORCS and Open Arena alone are more fun than I have time for. Not to mention KXMAME for those (Thousands) old classic stand up arcade games (Galaga, Pole Position, Ms. PacMan etc...)

I'm not even including all the dual platform games or the Windows games that have been made to work in *Ubuntu anyway(just to avoid dual booting).

I'm exited that Windows is less and less significant. I think that's the point.

WELCOME BACK !

Neobuntu
June 29th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Also, I like this guy because while he can be technical if he chooses, at the same time, he RESPECTS TIME! It Just goes to show, "Linux" (distros) are NOT being dumbed down but actually made more intelligent by saving our TIME (in any possible way). At the same time, this enhances the technical users and all users experience, not the reverse.

A lesson we'd best not miss.