PDA

View Full Version : Fake Linux Terminal for windows?

DR_K13
June 28th, 2007, 08:53 PM
So we switched back to windows at work ( funny because all out apps Run Native Linux and we have to use emulators now , guess our new IT guy is a moron. )

Question - Is there a Fake Linux Teminal out there for windows that will allow me to practice Linux Commands?
:popcorn:

starcraft.man
June 28th, 2007, 08:56 PM
So we switched back to windows at work ( funny because all out apps Run Native Linux and we have to use emulators now , guess our new IT guy is a moron. )

Question - Is there a Fake Linux Teminal out there for windows that will allow me to practice Linux Commands?
:popcorn:

Uh, what kind of idiot runs your IT department? File a complaint with important people to tell them that hes making your productivity suffer. And what on earth could posses him to run Linux apps in an emulator thats based running inside of Windows (thats completely without any sense, there are no advantages to that). The only thing I can think off, is the guy is scared of losing his job if they find Linux doesn't have that many IT problems....

I don't know of any fake terminals, just convince him to put back Linux and make sure someone high up knows they hired an idiot who will cost them money, time and productivity. He won't last long. Not that I want him to lose his job, but if he hasn't a clue what he's doing he shouldn't be working in IT.

Nuverde
June 28th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Check out cygwin... http://www.cygwin.com/
This will let you run anything from a bash shell to an x server on windows. There are lots of package options when you run the setup. But the console that it installs will let you practice using a unix/linux type shell environment.

zodmaner
June 28th, 2007, 09:11 PM

Now why would he done that? :confused:

Afoot
June 28th, 2007, 09:14 PM
He's probably one of those incompetent people who can only, and will only (because they only can) run windows. The stupidity.

rickyjones
June 28th, 2007, 09:23 PM
He's probably one of those incompetent people who can only, and will only (because they only can) run windows. The stupidity.

How about before assuming somebody is incompetent you get all the information? You don't know if the IT guys boss mandated this. Maybe it was out of his control?

Anyhow - have you tried talking to the IT guy to see what can be done or get his reasoning? How are they running the Linux app on Windows? If they are using something like Cygwin then you should have a linux terminal there to practice your commands.

An option to give to your IT guy also could be to install VMWare server on the computers, run Linux under that, and then the native Linux app under that. That could alleviate some issues as well maybe.

-Richard

Afoot
June 28th, 2007, 09:26 PM
How about before assuming somebody is incompetent you get all the information? You don't know if the IT guys boss mandated this. Maybe it was out of his control?

Assuming it was he who pulled the strings of course...

rickyjones
June 28th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Assuming it was he who pulled the strings of course...

Assuming who pulled the strings? No one here, save the OP maybe, knows anything about what actually happened at the company. Which is my point - no one should assume that the IT guy is incompetent unless you can prove that he actually is. Even then, what gives you the right to call him incompetent?

I just think it reflects poorly here to call someone incompetent when you don't even know the guy, or the full story.

Just my opinion.

-Richard

zodmaner
June 28th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I just think it reflects poorly here to call someone incompetent when you don't even know the guy, or the full story.

Agreed. No offense, Afoot, but I would like to hear his reasons or your guys thought on what is the most likely reasons he switched. (and no, being incompetent doesn't count. ;) )

eentonig
June 28th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I find it a very strange solution as well. But my reaction would be. "Why the hell do they want to do things that way? Do they just love to pay useless licences or what?"

Other than that. Cygwin would be my advice as well.

DR_K13
June 28th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Agreed. No offense, Afoot, but I would like to hear his reasons or your guys thought on what is the most likely reasons he switched. (and no, being incompetent doesn't count. ;) )

He is a Windows server guy , I just talked with him, he knows nothing about Linux and has to manage a 600 computer network ( plus the servers ) .

So he is going with what he knows.

Ahahahaha