PDA

View Full Version : Topic based file browser?

tehkain
June 28th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Does anyone know of a topic based file browser? That works kinda like the epiphany bookmark feature. For example you set folders for this program to index. From there you can A: Make name based topics like 'if *.py;then topic=python', or B: add a file to a topic(or multiple topics).

So is there anything around like this? I am mainly interested in using this for projects. I would use tags in the title or sort by suffix. So when i have a small text document i save it to my generic storage folder with the name IDEA_how-to-make-X.text. And I could go to my Idea topic and find it, or I could go to my .text topic and locate it.

If not I am gonna think about making it. Maybe build it off of beagle and some minimal file browser?

23meg
July 20th, 2007, 01:59 PM
You're looking for a kind of tag based virtual filesystem, which is an upcoming feature in KDE and GNOME (already implemented in KDE4 I guess).

For GNOME, check out Leaftag and Tracker, with which Nautilus and Deskbar can now interact. Be aware that this work is in its early stages though.