PDA

View Full Version : making a distro

drosophyllum
June 27th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I have a system which has 5 linux distributions and im tired of switching between them so im considering making my own distribution. Im planning on naming it Entropy Linux. The dictionary defines entropy as the tendency for all matter and energy in the universe to evolve toward a state of inert uniformity.

Basically, i will begin with a Gentoo system and add
portage
deb
rpm
packman
and conary

Do you think this is possible, like will the package managers conflict with eachother?
Any other suggestions for the name? (^_^)

Also... how on earth do you make a bootable installation cd???????

As for installation i was also thinking about a script...
what other package managers did i miss?
Any ideas ppl?

RAV TUX
June 27th, 2007, 11:57 PM
I have a system which has 5 linux distributions and im tired of switching between them so im considering making my own distribution. Im planning on naming it Entropy Linux. The dictionary defines entropy as the tendency for all matter and energy in the universe to evolve toward a state of inert uniformity.

Basically, i will begin with a Gentoo system and add every single packet manager I can.

Do you think this is possible, like will the package managers conflict with eachother?
Any other suggestions for the name? (^_^)

Also... how on earth do you make a bootable installation cd???????

As for installation i was also thinking about a script...

Any ideas ppl?

I suggest you use a different base or build a distro from Linux from Scratch.

tbroderick
June 28th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Any ideas ppl?

Don't do it ;)

Why would I want a distro with all those package managers? Pick one and keep it simple.

Tomosaur
June 28th, 2007, 01:16 AM
You're going to end up with one horrible mess if you use all those package managers I'm afraid.

neoflight
June 28th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
--Albert Einstein