PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu enterprise version?

coolblue
July 13th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Hi
I've heard that Ubuntu will release a free enterprise version. Does anyone know abt it? Is this true? How many CDs will it be? I'm quite excited abt it.

And can someone tell me what Ubuntu backports is all about???

Kvark
July 13th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Canonical offers enterprice support for Ubuntu. Thats how they make money on a completely free distro.

The 'enterprice version' you mention might be that some selected releases will have a longer lifecycle with desktop support for 3 years and server support for 5 years. The first of those will come in april next year. Which is ideal for companies who don't want to upgrade to new releases all the time.

From what I've heard. The backports contain newer versions of packages that are outdated in the other repos and a collection of packages that will come in breezy available for hoary. I think some packages the other repos simply left out for some reason are also in the backports.

UbuWu
July 13th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Here is the announcement:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/UbuntuFoundation

ubuntu_demon
July 13th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Hi
I've heard that Ubuntu will release a free enterprise version. Does anyone know abt it? Is this true? How many CDs will it be? I'm quite excited abt it.

breezy will be an enterprise version. desktop : 3 years of security fixes. server : 5 years of security fixes. Breezy will release in october/november.

When you update your hoary installation you won't install any new packages. The updates consist of security fixes only.

backports are programs that are backported from breezy .. so they will contain new features.

http://backports.ubuntuforums.org :

About Ubuntu Backports
Ubuntu Linux is a great distribution, but falls short in the desktop realm to Gentoo and Fedora Core. Why? Once a stable version is released, no new software updates are accepted. I subscribe to the view that a distribution can be both stable and up-to-date

The backport-extras repositories hosts some packages that are not in hoary / breezy at all. This is the best repositorie to get your multimedia codecs from.

UbuWu
July 13th, 2005, 12:16 PM
breezy will be an enterprise version. desktop : 3 years of security fixes. server : 5 years of security fixes. Breezy will release in october/november.

Not breezy, but the release after breezy (6.04) which will probably be released in april 2006.

ubuntu_demon
July 13th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Not breezy, but the release after breezy (6.04) which will probably be released in april 2006.
thnx I see now : http://www.ubuntulinux.org/UbuntuFoundation

poofyhairguy
July 13th, 2005, 06:17 PM

When Ubuntu releases a stable product, the only way it changes that product is to add things needed just for security. That means that people wanting the newest Firefox/ Openoffice/ GIMP/ etc. soon after it comes out (instead of waiting till the next release) would not be satified by the official Ubuntu system.

So the unofficial backports were born. Soon after new software comes out, we get it Ubuntu through the backports. We also get many of our media codecs that way.

Have a nice day.