PDA

View Full Version : What Programs You Would Like to See

flummoxed
June 26th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I asked a few days ago if anyone wanted to get together to learn python while creating a useful app in this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=483065)thread, and I've already received a lot of support. We're still trying to decide on what program to make, however. Our latest idea is this: a tutorial creator.

A GUI Python program that is made for creating and viewing step-by-step tutorials. Basically, the viewing of the tutorials would be like an improved InstallShield Wizard idea, where a paragraph or so of explanation on the subject would be displayed, along with a screenshot or two and next/back buttons. We could figure out ways to make the information get displayed in a way that's as easy to digest as possible. The way to create and view the tutorials would have to be as easy as possible. To create tutorials, it would have to be like a wizard type idea, with an advanced mode for users who know what they're doing. Viewing tutorials would be as easy as the click of a button.

What do you think of this idea? Would it be useful to you? Do you have any ideas for programs that you would like to see happen?

pmasiar
June 26th, 2007, 11:05 PM
one guy started something like that, you may want to help him:

http://code.google.com/soc/ubuntu/appinfo.html?csaid=F43382157E7D628C

flummoxed
June 26th, 2007, 11:21 PM
This was originally aimed to be more of a general tutorial writing program, but we'll look into that. Thanks for the response.

cleentrax
June 27th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Small apps I'm missing in Linux:

1. A GUI for Handbrake (the OS X GUI is great, but the Linux Handbrake is CLI only.)
2. A Drag/Drop FTP program like Cyberduck, Transmit, or OneFTP

Alternatively, you could create some plugins for pre-existing apps.

My suggestion: Scribes is a great beginning for an elegant, efficient editor, and there is a python plugin API, I think.

I'd love a multi-document search/replace for Scribes (like the one for TextWrangler or BBEdit)