PDA

View Full Version : Article: Is the next President of the United States running Linux?

samuraiCat
June 26th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Hey, check this out!

http://www.douglaskarr.com/2007/06/23/2008-elections-by-server/

Is the next President of the United States running Linux?

Earlier today I read a post about Ron Paul’s website. Interestingly, his site is less of a typical candidate site and more of a mashup of other sources of information about him. What a fantastic idea and it shows additional transparency. That got me even more curious, what was the site developed on?

According to Netcraft, Ron Paul’s site was previously run on Microsoft IIS but as of June 5th it’s now on Apache!

So that got me wondering… what are the other candidates’ sites running? Does this provide some insight into their overall candidacy?

(more)

Best line: "I predict Linux will win the election."

H.E. Pennypacker
June 26th, 2007, 09:05 PM
You really think he runs Linux on his desktop? Ron Paul is probably too old to know what Linux is.

samuraiCat
June 26th, 2007, 09:09 PM
You really think he runs Linux on his desktop? Ron Paul is probably too old to know what Linux is.

Well, the article is about what their servers are running. It would be interesting to see if any campaign offices are running Linux on their desktops.

Edited to add: Hey, my 63-year-old mother is giving Ubuntu a shot! She hasn't posted here, yet. She prefers the chat rooms.

Polygon
June 26th, 2007, 09:10 PM
nevermind

anyway, i bet 99% of these canidates dont know whats running on the servers that host their website. they most likely paid some guy to host a server, or some company and thats what they are doing.

samuraiCat
June 26th, 2007, 09:12 PM
um, you can run apache on windows.

That is true, but if you read the post, they break down all the candidates' servers according to OS and all that.

Edited to add: I agree. But I think the important part of the story is that people who are working on getting a US president elected are overwhelmingly using Linux to run their servers. That's not a small story.

AriciU
June 26th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Who uses IIS instead of Apache for a server anyway? :lol:

It's a no brainer for any self respecting hosting provider.

KaroSHiv0n
June 26th, 2007, 09:38 PM
i really dobt more than 1% of those guys know/care what their website runs on/how it even works.