PDA

View Full Version : Cable internet users: what company do you use?

Aurora Borealis
June 26th, 2007, 05:57 PM
And, does your company support linux?

LookTJ
June 26th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Comcast. I'm not sure if they support linux.

Zzl1xndd
June 26th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I'm in Canada and I use Rogers. As software is not required for their connection I guess they support and OS. Although in terms of support they will only go threw basics like power-cycling the modem and such. Also the do have software that you can use but it just does basic functions like resets the modem and things with out having to access it with your browser.

Sunflower1970
June 26th, 2007, 06:20 PM
TimeWarner.

No, they do not support Linux. But, there's no software one has to download to use them, anyway.

Amusingly, though, since I switched over to Ubuntu, my connectivity problems have all but disappeared :biggrin: Before the darned modem would reset itself every couple of hours. Now I can go days before it decides to reset itself.

samschoice
June 26th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Time Warner here... Some providers actually don't provide support for Linux ? In what sense?? They won't work with Linux at all, or they just won't help you out if your system screws up?

Heh, and shouldn't it be: Which cable monopoly do you use? Which company paid off your local government tribute money, for the sole right of providing cable in your area ?

prizrak
June 26th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Optimum here, I don't know if they support Linux or not but their modems all have an ethernet jack so I don't have any problems. Well I got a gateway either way with a WAP.

Aurora Borealis
June 26th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Time Warner here... Some providers actually don't provide support for Linux ? In what sense?? They won't work with Linux at all, or they just won't help you out if your system screws up?

Heh, and shouldn't it be: Which cable monopoly do you use? Which company paid off your local government tribute money, for the sole right of providing cable in your area ?

For some odd reason I couldn't get onto the net yesterday. I kept getting a page with the internet company's name that said something to the effect of installation wizard does not support my OS,. But I wasn't installing anything-just trying to get onto the web. So I called, they tweaked something-still no go. So they asked what system I had. I told them Ubuntu linux, and they said, "Sorry. We don't support that." And just decided to leave me offline. Although the problem was magically resolved the next day, I'll have to think on that one for a while. Trying to decide if it was the internet company, although they'd always been great about getting me back up in the past...

moffatt666
June 26th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Before I moved house, I was with Virgin Media in the UK. No software required and not only do they support linux (movement, not software), they host Ubuntu .iso images.

maniacmusician
June 26th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I have charter communications, and they suck. Really unfriendly. I want to get Verizon FiOS, but they don't offer it around here.

samschoice
June 26th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Aurora, the situation where you try to get on the net and you get a message "OS not supported" scares the crap out of me. This is one way the competitors of Linux could slow down its growth.

SunnyRabbiera
June 26th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Comcast
Linux support is not really offered with it, but they do seem to be aware of linux at least with some of the reps I have talked to off and on.

bonzodog
June 26th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I am using ntl here, just in the process of being rebranded to UPC Ireland aka Chello.

Technically, no, they do not support Linux, but I have found a support rep or two that have been familiar with it. They normally just say to me, "well, we haven't been trained for it, so we will assume that you know what you are doing", which is grand.

So, no they don't support it, but they don't ignore it either.

There are a lot of Mac users here as well, and Linux and mac come under the same category for them - assume that the user knows how to configure it at their end.

Aurora Borealis
June 26th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I have charter communications, and they suck. Really unfriendly. I want to get Verizon FiOS, but they don't offer it around here.
Unfriendly customer service is one of my pet peeves. You're paying for service and putting bread on their table-the least they can do is show you proper respect, and preferably a bit of gratitude as well since there are other companies you could have chosen-and might still.

Aurora, the situation where you try to get on the net and you get a message "OS not supported" scares the crap out of me. This is one way the competitors of Linux could slow down its growth.

Yes-and that's what cements my decision to use Linux even though I know so little still about puters. I don't like one of linux's competitor's harball marketing tactics, and that bit about the bootloader being overwritten...I'll never go back, no matter what it takes.

beercz
June 26th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Virgin Media

Linux is supported in terms of being connected. Don't know if they support linux officially.